2010s Horror - Official FF BMET (Nominations Closed)

Deadpulse

IT. 

As long as I live, I will be scared of clowns because of this miniseries from the 90s. Watching it reimagined had be in tears scared out of my gourd. When it comes to true terror, IT is by far the scariest, but also best written horror I've seen. 2017's IT was better than any other iteration too. 

I'd also agree with Witch and Hereditary. Hereditary would easily be my number 1 choice, that movie stuck with me for a while. Honorable mentions to Get Out, Midsommar, It: Chapter One, I also liked those very much. I do want to still see The Wailing and Susperia which were also mentioned here and I've heard very high praise about.

11 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

Im assuming Ready or Not and You're Next are Thrillers

One is.  The other is not.  Cannot comment more without spoilers.

Hereditary is the only movie I would even consider calling the best horror movie of the 10’s over The Conjuring.

Hereditary
The Killing of the Sacred Deer
The Witch
It Follows
Happy Death Day
Upgrade
Split

If Hereditary does not win this there is something seriously wrong.  On IMDb they have a list from 2000-2020 and Midsommar is 2nd on that list, odd because that is really crap compared to Hereditary.  Decent but nothing like Hereditary in terms of pure scares, same director of course.  

Not sure I could include these two, they are not really super scary but pretty cool, Doctor Sleep would easily be on there if it did not get so much into the old movie, still some parts of it are great and quite scary and A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night is a freaking classic but is not really scary in any way.  Get Out probably should be on there just because of lack of others, but honestly the scariest part is that dude running straight at that other guy during the night.  Outside of that and a few other parts is it not that scary.

PS has anyone see Maniac made in 2012?  Saw it on a list and looks pretty interesting.

I don't mind horror movies, but I barely saw any this past decade.  Cabin in the Woods, Bird Box, not even sure what else, i'll have to abstain from this one.

Edited with other I have seen as I see them mentioned:

Upgrade

Edited by THE DUKE

Just now, Ozzy said:

It is the PG 13 made to scare children only genre. 

Lol that is so funny because movies can only be judged by whether or not they scare people.  Haha so funny you should be a standup comedian.  You should write reviews for a living.  Your reviews read like my dad's restaurant reviews that he puts up on Facebook without anybody asking, but there's a certain humor in it. 

I'm not a big horror guy so it's hard to say. I don't even know what qualifies as horror these days. There are way more good Thrillers.

I really like:

It: Chapter 1

Halloween

A Quiet Place

Split

Happy Death Day

I don't like Hereditary but it's a remarkably well made film.

Other movies I really like but don't think qualify as horror:

Ready or Not

Upgrade

Doctor Sleep

Crawl

Overlord

No Escape

Edited by Bullet Club

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Hereditary
The Killing of the Sacred Deer
The Witch
It Follows
Happy Death Day
Upgrade
Split

If Hereditary does not win this there is something seriously wrong.  On IMDb they have a list from 2000-2020 and Midsommar is 2nd on that list, odd because that is really crap compared to Hereditary.  Decent but nothing like Hereditary in terms of pure scares, same director of course.  

Not sure I could include these two, they are not really super scary but pretty cool, Doctor Sleep would easily be on there if it did not get so much into the old movie, still some parts of it are great and quite scary and A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night is a freaking classic but is not really scary in any way.  Get Out probably should be on there just because of lack of others, but honestly the scariest part is that dude running straight at that other guy during the night.  Outside of that and a few other parts is it not that scary.

PS has anyone see Maniac made in 2012?  Saw it on a list and looks pretty interesting.

I really do have to agree on Hereditary. That movie was spectacular. 

Sidebar conversation: I also really liked Doctor Sleep but not enough to put it on this list. I was shocked by how much I enjoyed it, I expected to be really let down because the Shining is one of my favorite movies of all time. Doctor Sleep obviously wasn't at that level but it was a really good movie in its own right. One of my personal bigger surprises of last year.

4 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

This is sorta how I felt about the Lighthouse. I didn't necessarily dislike it but it's not really a movie I'll be watching again I think. But it was an exceptionally well made film and I would say an objectively good movie. Just not one I enjoyed watching. I was surprised to not see it so far.

• Like 1

Just now, rackcs said:

I really do have to agree on Hereditary. That movie was spectacular. 

Sidebar conversation: I also really liked Doctor Sleep but not enough to put it on this list. I was shocked by how much I enjoyed it, I expected to be really let down because the Shining is one of my favorite movies of all time. Doctor Sleep obviously wasn't at that level but it was a really good movie in its own right. One of my personal bigger surprises of last year.

True it was pretty freaking sweet, he tried to tie too much of The Shining into the movie and really he did not have to do that.  But honestly there is not much else that can be on the list so in many ways it should be included.  

And Rose The Hat is arguably one of the best villains in any horror movie for quite some time.  She was great!

a2a7aa8a3104baddc4ca6b47aa94b1f908a1a4a6

6 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

True, few would go see it again or honor the movie, it was disturbing and disgusting most of the time.  But that is what it should be, it is a horror movie, if a horror movie does not scare you in some way then it is not really a horror movie and is a drama or action thriller.  

Just now, Deadpulse said:

@Outpost31, what genre would you say A Quiet Place is?

It's really tough to say because it absolutely fits into the best base definition of horror.  I have a LOT of thoughts on distinctions within the genre, and that's why I'll probably get really upset throughout this thread and others on the horror genre.  So many movies that are not horror get called horror and it's frustrating. 

Then there are people who try to pigeonhole thrillers into only psychological horror when that's not the case either.  

Some people call Shutter Island horror.  Some people call Hostel horror.  Some people are on the misguided preconception that a horror movie has to be bloody or gory, but then what about The Exorcist?  Some people think horror has to be scary.  They define the genre and rate the movie based on how much they were scared. 

I could ramble on and on and on, but the simplest and in my time best differentiation between THRILLER and HORROR is this:

A thriller is anything and everything in every man versus category EXCEPT for the cosmos. 

Man versus machine, nature, self, society, man, nature... All of those narrative conflicts fit the definition of THRILLER. 

The final narrative conflict is often called Man vs Cosmos (also Fate/Supernatural). 

If it is something within man's current understanding (things of the world that are explained by science/facts), it is a THRILLER. 
If it is something outside of man's current understanding (aliens, the supernatural, cosmos, etc), it is HORROR. 

So technically A Quiet Place belongs in the category of horror, but I really would not consider it a horror movie.  Its intent is not to scare.  It's more drama than horror, and the scare comes from providing a profound sense of grief and of loss and of suffering and guilt.  If you switched the antagonist (the monsters) with them stranded on an island with a large bear or something that was attracted to sound, you don't lose any of the movie's effectiveness in its storytelling and character relationships. 

If you were to replace the demon in The Conjuring with a rabid wolf or something, you lose all effectiveness of the movie.  The family dynamic is weak, the characters are weak.  There's no real sense of anything.

So I don't even know.  A Quiet Place is as difficult for me to put into a genre as The Thing.  Mostly because of how great everything is outside of the threat, outside of the conflict.  If you remove The Thing from The Thing and turn it into a bunch of spies during the second Cold War or something, you still have an incredible movie about paranoia. 

Both of them definitely belong in the category of horror, but the horror is not the aspect that makes the movie.  I know I'm rambling, but I hope somewhere within my rambling you can find my point. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

True, few would go see it again or honor the movie, it was disturbing and disgusting most of the time.  But that is what it should be, it is a horror movie, if a horror movie does not scare you in some way then it is not really a horror movie and is a drama or action thriller.  

This seems like a good time to mention that I wont bemoan genre classification much at all. Nominations will be added despite some contention as I think it will mostly shake out in the voting phase. However, if there is a large consensus that a flick belongs in a different genre, specifically one of the 8 in this tourney, then I will leave it out of the pool. 

• Like 1