Better Call Saul, Season 6 (April 18)

iknowcool

Not a fan of how this show ended up being. Last episodes felt like a lot of fluff filler and fan service. They still made for an interesting story, but I don't feel like we needed to see all that, it just felt like excuses to do cameos (aka fan service). Ending to the season where he gets his license back and that last scene with Kim was a real series ender in my book.

Adding Mexican Chuck Norris to this show and then extending that arc tainted what could have been a much better overall product. 

My 2 pesos of course.

10 hours ago, Mossburg said:

Not a fan of how this show ended up being. Last episodes felt like a lot of fluff filler and fan service. They still made for an interesting story, but I don't feel like we needed to see all that, it just felt like excuses to do cameos (aka fan service). Ending to the season where he gets his license back and that last scene with Kim was a real series ender in my book.

Adding Mexican Chuck Norris to this show and then extending that arc tainted what could have been a much better overall product. 

My 2 pesos of course.

I agree with a lot of this. The finale was good, but a lot of final episodes were meh. It could have been so much more. But in a time where endings have been so bad, I’ll take it. The show is still a masterpiece. I will watch anything Gilligan makes. If he makes a show about sparkling vampires, I’ll watch it. 

8 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I agree with a lot of this. The finale was good, but a lot of final episodes were meh. It could have been so much more. But in a time where endings have been so bad, I’ll take it. The show is still a masterpiece. I will watch anything Gilligan makes. If he makes a show about sparkling vampires, I’ll watch it. 

Yea, even the filler content had a lot of good scenes. Maybe last post sounded a bit too harsh, but it is hard to finish a show properly and often it is not done well. I did enjoy the ending, they just took a lot of unnecessary detours to get there.

52 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

Yea, even the filler content had a lot of good scenes. Maybe last post sounded a bit too harsh, but it is hard to finish a show properly and often it is not done well. I did enjoy the ending, they just took a lot of unnecessary detours to get there.

I don't know about that.  Lalo definitely changed the course for Kim.  Without him offing Howard like that, she and Jimmy might have been a power couple forever, which means no Saul in BB

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

I don't know about that.  Lalo definitely changed the course for Kim.  Without him offing Howard like that, she and Jimmy might have been a power couple forever, which means no Saul in BB

I mean, they could have created an infinity of different scenarios to cause a rift between them. 

Edited by Mossburg

4 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

She was always slumming it with Jimmy. It just took her too long to figure it out. 

20 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

She was always slumming it with Jimmy. It just took her too long to figure it out. 

She was completely equal in the slumming though, perhaps even worse. I don’t get why the show and fans all of a sudden act like Kim figured out she was getting abused or something and then lives a normal full life. 

33 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

She was completely equal in the slumming though, perhaps even worse. I don’t get why the show and fans all of a sudden act like Kim figured out she was getting abused or something and then lives a normal full life. 

Nah I saw it from season 1.  Kim was on the fast track to great things as a lawyer and an eventual partner at a legit firm.  Things that Jimmy would’ve found nearly impossible to accomplish bcuz he was a con man from day 1.  That’s why he completely leaned into the seedy side of the law.  

Maybe it was just boredom but she was intrigued by his rebellious side which ultimately dragged her down with him. She was so much better than what happened to her which is what made it so compelling. 

20 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Nah I saw it from season 1.  Kim was on the fast track to great things as a lawyer and an eventual partner at a legit firm.  Things that Jimmy would’ve found nearly impossible to accomplish bcuz he was a con man from day 1.  That’s why he completely leaned into the seedy side of the law.  

Maybe it was just boredom but she was intrigued by his rebellious side which ultimately dragged her down with him. She was so much better than what happened to her which is what made it so compelling. 

Kim was a con woman too, and definitely had some mental issues like Jimmy. Kim’s mom taught her how to scam at a young age, and it was implied that continued throughout her childhood. 

4 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Kim was a con woman too, and definitely had some mental issues like Jimmy. Kim’s mom taught her how to scam at a young age, and it was implied that continued throughout her childhood. 

That’s true but I still feel like she had the ability to overcome her background whereas Jimmy never did.  That was imprinted on her by her mother while it was just who Jimmy was.

10 hours ago, thrILL! said:

That’s true but I still feel like she had the ability to overcome her background whereas Jimmy never did.  That was imprinted on her by her mother while it was just who Jimmy was.

She had the path to overcome her past, but she she chose not to follow it.  Heck, at one point she practically had to drag Jimmy into a con because he didn't want to feel guilty about taking her down that path.  In fact, maybe, just maybe, he still felt guilty about it and made sure to take the fall for both of them in the finale.

I believe VG said that a lot of the show was made up as they went along, correct me if I'm wrong. I also remember him commenting how Kim wasn't supposed to be as big a part of the show as initially planned, but the character and Rhea blossomed and they made her a bigger part.

The flashback scenes with Kim's mom showed that she had that same grift inside her that Jimmy did, but IMO it was too late to show that. Jimmy and Kim liked to innocently mess with dudes at bars, and I think they used that to show why Kim liked Jimmy or whatever, but I thought it didn't feel right how she went from that to grifter/con that is pushing Jimmy when he wants to walk away. That u-turn scene was a bit too much too. Felt more like they changed this character too much all of a sudden, like one flashback scene out of nowhere is supposed to explain why this character is now completely irrational.