The root of the problems run deep!

Raves

Here's a list of same/new players in the past 3 seasons. Guys marked same have been here at least 2 years prior to this season. Guys marked new have been here less than 2 seasons.

QB- Brees (Great Player)- Same

RB's- Mark Ingram (Great Player)- Same, Alvin Kamara (Lots of Potential)- New, Adrian Peterson (Still has some left in the tank)- New

WR's- Michael Thomas (Great Player)- New, Willie Snead (Solid Player)- Same, Ted Ginn (Hit or Miss deep threat)- New, Tommylee Lewis (Some Potential)- New, Brandon Coleman (Average 4th/5th WR)- Same

TE- Coby Fleener (Average)- New

LT- Terron Armstead (Great Player when healthy)- Same, Ryan Ramzcyk (Lots of Potential)- New

LG- Andrus Peat (Solid Player)- Same

C- Max Unger (Great Player when healthy)- Same

RG- Larry Warford (Solid Player)- New

RT- Zach Strief (Great Player when healthy)- Same

DE- Cameron Jordan (Great Player)- Same

DT- Sheldon Rankins (Tons of potential)- New

DT- Tyeler Davison (Below Average)- New, David Onyemata (Below Average)- New 

DE- Hau'oli Kikaha (Tons of potential)- New(ish), Alex Okafor (Average)- New

OLB- Alex Anzalone (Tons of potential)- New

MLB- Manti Teo (Tons of potential)- New

OLB- AJ Klein (Tons of potential)- New

CB- Marshon Lattimore- (Tons of potential)- New

S- Kenny Vaccaro- (Enigma)- Same

S- Vaughn Bell- (Tons of potential)- New, Marcus Williams (Tons of potential)- New

CB- Delvin Breaux (Solid when healthy)- Same

K- Wil Lutz (Great Player)- New

P- Thomas Morstead- (Great Player)- Same

Looking at the roster there are clearly about 8 players on offense that are new in the past 2 seasons that get plenty of playing time.

Looking at the defense there are about 11 players on defense that are new in the past 2 seasons that get plenty of playing time. Especially on defense there are tons of changes that have been made. 3/4 of our D-Line is different from 2015. All 3 LB's are different. At least half of our secondary is different. Basically what I'm saying is that it is certainly not the "same old roster" that continues to fail. This is a team that has completely overhauled most positions on both sides of the ball the past few years. Whether that has made us a better team is very much undetermined at this time. However I do know that 2 games is certainly not enough time to evaluate that. Especially against 2 legit playoff contenders in the Vikings and Patriots. Lets give this a little more time. I certainly think the Panthers are a beatable team, and would just like to see some improvements as the season goes on as these young guys start to develop with more playing time. 

Develop in what system?

Allen's scheme is flawed and players have taken a step back not fwd. He has also shown so very questionable tendencies as a playcaller.

The NFL has proven over and over again that only rare few players can just scheme hopp with no noticable effects. Majority of players need to be developed into a system that suits their skill sets and defensivly the Saints are the WORST at this in the NFL. So even if a player is developing, if hes doing it in a flawed system/scheme its all for not in the end.

Am I wrong in thinking there is some sort of disconnect between our players and Allen's schemes? It seems Allen runs a very zone heavy scheme while our DBs, and in particular our CBs are more suited for press man coverage. Am I wrong? Because I swear I've been seeing that and just scratching my head.

5 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

Am I wrong in thinking there is some sort of disconnect between our players and Allen's schemes? It seems Allen runs a very zone heavy scheme while our DBs, and in particular our CBs are more suited for press man coverage. Am I wrong? Because I swear I've been seeing that and just scratching my head.

Some of our corners are meant for man, the rest are actually better at Zone... but then taht would mean needing mixed coverages in the same defensive call so Allen obviously is lost

39 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Develop in what system?

Allen's scheme is flawed and players have taken a step back not fwd. He has also shown so very questionable tendencies as a playcaller.

The NFL has proven over and over again that only rare few players can just scheme hopp with no noticable effects. Majority of players need to be developed into a system that suits their skill sets and defensivly the Saints are the WORST at this in the NFL. So even if a player is developing, if hes doing it in a flawed system/scheme its all for not in the end.

Getting talented players is much more important than you are letting on. We've added several talented young guys we will see if they develop, even if it isn't the greatest of systems. If they are talented it will show up. Hence guys like Cameron Jordan, and Marshon Lattimore looking like difference makers, and I'm sure others will emerge this season after a few weeks of playing together in the same system. We have so many new players it will take some time for the to adapt and get used to playing together. 

58 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Getting talented players is much more important than you are letting on. We've added several talented young guys we will see if they develop, even if it isn't the greatest of systems. If they are talented it will show up. Hence guys like Cameron Jordan, and Marshon Lattimore looking like difference makers, and I'm sure others will emerge this season after a few weeks of playing together in the same system. We have so many new players it will take some time for the to adapt and get used to playing together. 

Your sure others will emerge... You sure about that? Yeah sure, Jordan and Lattimore. We drafted these guys to be difference makers but majority of NFL players are role players that need a solid scheme to contribute. Without it there is nothing but confusion and ineptitude... Exactly what weve seen for the last 4 years.

1 hour ago, whodatworm23 said:

Your sure others will emerge... You sure about that? Yeah sure, Jordan and Lattimore. We drafted these guys to be difference makers but majority of NFL players are role players that need a solid scheme to contribute. Without it there is nothing but confusion and ineptitude... Exactly what weve seen for the last 4 years.

Yeah I'm pretty confident others will emerge. Guys like Breaux have but can't stay healthy. Kikaha continues to show signs, Rankins has also showed signs of being a difference maker, and I'm sure others will. We will have to agree to disagree on this

3 hours ago, Raves said:

Some of our corners are meant for man, the rest are actually better at Zone... but then taht would mean needing mixed coverages in the same defensive call so Allen obviously is lost

Ah ok, thanks for the explanation. It still boggles my mind we're on track to produce 3 historically bad defenses.

9 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

Whats the one constant?

Benson? ...no, wait..... Loomis?  .....no...., wait.............Brees!! He's not putting up enough points!!! Right? We should pass more!!!!

8 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

That's it, I've got it!  Just cut Cam Jordan and we'll be alright!;)

You know, I was thinking trade him for a cornerback and a 3rd round (or future) pick, but I think you're on to something. Just cut him and eat a boatload of dead money! Brilliant!!!!!

Archived