Brad Biggs: On the QB Position

WindyCity

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Decision making and processing is his biggest weakness.

Make him do less.

You think that Jimmy G is processing a ton when they go heavy play action and have 2 guys running routes? It is okay to ask your QB to do less, it is not ideal, but it the reality of 75% of the NFL.

I think you're highlighting something that bugs me a bit about our team.  Mitch and Nagy do not match well, at least not at this point in their careers.  Would a coach with less to prove about his system tailor the offense more to a QB who doesn't get it?  Would a more cerebral QB let Nagy's concepts develop through actually being able to implement it play after play? Yup. Which one changes? 

Sigh.  My yearly long shot prospect I talk myself into is here.  https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2019/11/26/mark-schofields-rsp-scouting-lens-qb-anthony-gordon-washington-st-and-feel/

As said often on this site, his mechanics look like hieroglyphs at times, but I would be giddy if the Bears took a shot on him with their comp pick in the 4th, or even traded up in the third for him.  Feel like he's got a brain and an arm and can hopefully learn the rest. 

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

To me I have much less faith in him to be an average starting quarterback then I did a year ago. If everything worked together then yeah he's going to be a complete stud. Plenty of arm strength , plus athleticism, he's got some of the ability to make wow plays that we've seen in big situations that shows enough to keep you interested, etc. He has plenty of elite quarterback traits or at least franchise level quarterback traits. But his inability to show consistent accuracy and to produce at any respectful rate has dropped him off the map for me. That's what has dropped him to being a high-end backup to me.

I'll say the same thing I did about McClellan though, I'm rooting for him and seriously hope he makes me eat my words. I'd be happy to have a lifetime sig showing that I look like an idiot for doubting him. 

I agree if the fifth year option is going to be picked up that people will freak. I personally am going to be disappointed too. So regardless if it would be the regular franchise tag or not it's still $22 million plus for the quarterbacks. You save only about two or three million I believe from the regular franchise tag. To me that just waste means you're wasting two or three million dollars less, the still making a terrible decision if he plays under that. As you said they may just hold him there and then release him later at no cost, but I'd be tense until they did

Oh, I have far less faith than I did a year ago too but I haven’t written him off yet either. People are so much less patient than they used to be with player development. Did I expect more by now? Yes, but my self-imposed timeline for when we should see him hit his stride is just that. If the powers that be whose careers are on the line here see reason for a little more patience then so be it. Look at the first 3 years of the careers of Brees, Eli and Roethlisberger statistically and apply the 2018-20 social media environment to them. Their respective fan bases would be crucifying their front offices today for staying committed to their player, and in reality they probably were at the time but it’s so much more forced down our throats now because of the immediacy and ever presence of SM.

I contend that what those front offices saw in those guys is what the Bears still see in Mitch and what I still see in him, and that’s flashes of some really great stuff. His off schedule, street ball and don’t-think-just-play stuff is by and large pretty good and sometimes great, and because of that once (if) he gets to the point of not thinking himself into paralysis (or gets schemed a bit better where he’s forced to think less) I think he we could really see him take off. I’m not buying into forever to see that happen but I’m willing to give him this year for that for sure and maybe next year too if we see more of the good stuff this year. 

The whole 5th year option thing with Mitch is nothing more than keeping all options open. Pace got burned on the Fuller option and then exercised Floyd’s where he had a real basis not to based on production but in doing so kept all the options on the table we are discussing now. Had he not then Floyd is on the free market in 4 weeks with our hands much more tied to prevent it. I see Pace taking the Floyd route here with Mitch because a similar occurrence to what happened with Fuller, while GREAT because it would mean Mitch arrives in 2020, would be potentially an 8-figure mistake as far as the 2021 cap goes. 

Edited by AZBearsFan

Prob nothing but Carr just posted a photo of him and Mack on Instagram...

"

Something else that might make him an attractive option is his relationship with current Bears’ superstar, Khalil Mack, who has not hidden his “bromance” with his former quarterback. And If Carr’s current IG post is any indication, he clearly feels the same way.

Now there is no way to know whether Carr is trying to cryptically tell us all something, or if it was just an innocent post, honoring his close friend. The reality is the truth is probably somewhere in the middle, with Carr sending a not so subtle signal that he would be more than open to the idea of coming to Chicago to be their starting quarterback."

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

If you think Carr is a good player with QB inflation he is a real bargain at 21 million per for next 3 years (assuming he doesn't hold out).

Wouldn't be worst move you could make.  

If they trade for Carr then they better trade Trubisky back to the Raiders as part of the deal.  No need to allocate $30M in cap space next season between Carr and Trubisky.

48 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Pretty much goes along with what most people who are plugged into the NFL/Bears have been saying this offseason.

Mitch will get his shot to start 2020 but it will come with conditions this time and a real threat of him being replaced for good if he doesn't smarten up.

Edited by topwop1

1 minute ago, dafreak said:

Same could be said about Packer fans and Rodgers....

Mack's birthday is Saturday, post most likely a shout out....

Hmm, I would say MOST Packers fans still think he is bees knees.   

But criticism is mounting. 

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

Pretty much goes along with what most people who are plugged into the NFL/Bears have been saying this offseason.

Mitch will get his shot to start 2020 but it will come with conditions this time and a real threat of him being replaced for good if he doesn't smarten up.

I would think Bears would want the contract as is via a trade of some sort.  You have him at 3 years at a below market rate with little to no dead money.   

A free agent Carr is more expensive.  Who knows if Carr is down with that.    He may hold out after trade once he has Bears by the throat.