Combine Thread

Kmart128

Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of watching the combine and seeing these guys put up crazy numbers in the 40 and vertical jump and all that, but honestly, I never understood having guys rise or fall in rankings simply because of this event. Running a great 40 doesn't mean anything if it doesn't translate to game speed. More focus needs to be put on the gameday footage than these workouts in order to evaluate and rank properly. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DER10N92 said:

Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of watching the combine and seeing these guys put up crazy numbers in the 40 and vertical jump and all that, but honestly, I never understood having guys rise or fall in rankings simply because of this event. Running a great 40 doesn't mean anything if it doesn't translate to game speed. More focus needs to be put on the gameday footage than these workouts in order to evaluate and rank properly. 

I think it tends to hurt guys more than help.

Reagor apparently bulked up too much and his 40 time does not match his tape. For his sake I hope he runs better at his pro day.

Higgins seems to be beloved by fans more than he is scouts or teams. I've seen several guys say he isn't going Day 1.

I know it is a deep draft but IMO Ruggs/Lamb/Jeudy are a clear notch above the rest, I would be willing to move picks to get one. Chad Hall was down on the field while those guys went through drills.

2 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Higgins seems to be beloved by fans more than he is scouts or teams. I've seen several guys say he isn't going Day 1.

I know it is a deep draft but IMO Ruggs/Lamb/Jeudy are a clear notch above the rest, I would be willing to move picks to get one. Chad Hall was down on the field while those guys went through drills.

Ehhhh I'm not in the "WR's are useless" camp (obviously, look at the effing Chiefs) but I wouldn't move resources to get a rookie one. We've more needs than just a wideout.

3 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I think the only guy that is in a class of his own is Jeudy. I like Ruggs and Lamb, but I don't think they're that much ahead of the day two guys. This might be a hot take, but I think Denzel Mims has the Potential to be the 2nd best WR in this draft and he's going around 40-65 overall in most mock drafts. If we move up in the first round it better be for Jeudy or I will not be happy and even at that I wouldn't be thrilled with the depth at WR.

Edited by Billsfaninptown

1 hour ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Ehhhh I'm not in the "WR's are useless" camp (obviously, look at the effing Chiefs) but I wouldn't move resources to get a rookie one. We've more needs than just a wideout.

I think we'll get a good idea after free agency just how aggressive Beane may be. I know one thing, we won't keep all 9 picks.

1 hour ago, Billsfaninptown said:

I think the only guy that is in a class of his own is Jeudy. I like Ruggs and Lamb, but I don't think they're that much ahead of the day two guys. This might be a hot take, but I think Denzel Mims has the Potential to be the 2nd best WR in this draft and he's going around 40-65 overall in most mock drafts. If we move up in the first round it better be for Jeudy or I will not be happy and even at that I wouldn't be thrilled with the depth at WR.

I can see that with Mims.

I like Mims, Claypool, Van Jefferson, Pittman and DPJ as better value/fit in rounds 3 or 4 then I do Reagor, Higgins or Shenault in round 1/2

All of those guys you listed I would be happy with. I wouldn't hate doubling up on WR's in rounds 2-4 with how deep this draft is. If we can get an edge like Epenesa or Chaisson in the first round then I think that sets us up nicely to attack the offense in rounds 2-4. I even like Uche in the second round as a consolation prize to Chaisson or Epenesa, which I think it's unlikely they will be available when we pick.

Combine can be a good thing and a bad thing. I am for game film over spandex with no pads any day but when you have questions about guys on what they can do with a bit of speed that you couldnt tell on the field does help. Jefferson and Claypool both to me have jumped up a bit on my list and guys like Higgins Shenault have fallen. People were amped on Higgins and I wasnt all that impressed and he has been questioned about his speed. Him not doing it is a sign he knows he isnt fast. I think he is soft too from his small injuries. Clemson does get a hype on WR since some good ones have come out in the past and he did have a solid couple seasons with them, but that could be said with the fat he has had a qb who is projected to be top 2 next year in the draft, so is he really that good? Shenault injury concerns me and I hate to knock him because I was interested. Jefferson put on some speed that I was unaware of and him being able to go after contested balls had jumped him up on my wr list from 6 to 4. I like Pittman and Claypool both guys can be had in the 2nd and I would prefer them over higgins shanault in the 1st rd. As for the combine itself I think it is a toll that can bite you in the butt, and it did for Buffalo years ago when they went Maybin with a 1 year wonder at PSU. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Billsfaninptown said:

All of those guys you listed I would be happy with. I wouldn't hate doubling up on WR's in rounds 2-4 with how deep this draft is. If we can get an edge like Epenesa or Chaisson in the first round then I think that sets us up nicely to attack the offense in rounds 2-4. I even like Uche in the second round as a consolation prize to Chaisson or Epenesa, which I think it's unlikely they will be available when we pick.

Epenesa just did his 40 and it was over 5 seconds. In a day where guys on the edge are going at 4.6-4.7 that kind of worries me a bit. Today’s game is a lot faster. If we did end up with him, hopefully his production can come through good technique to make up for a lack of speed. 

20 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Combine can be a good thing and a bad thing. I am for game film over spandex with no pads any day but when you have questions about guys on what they can do with a bit of speed that you couldnt tell on the field does help. Jefferson and Claypool both to me have jumped up a bit on my list and guys like Higgins Shenault have fallen. People were amped on Higgins and I wasnt all that impressed and he has been questioned about his speed. Him not doing it is a sign he knows he isnt fast. I think he is soft too from his small injuries. Clemson does get a hype on WR since some good ones have come out in the past and he did have a solid couple seasons with them, but that could be said with the fat he has had a qb who is projected to be top 2 next year in the draft, so is he really that good? Shenault injury concerns me and I hate to knock him because I was interested. Jefferson put on some speed that I was unaware of and him being able to go after contested balls had jumped him up on my wr list from 6 to 4. I like Pittman and Claypool both guys can be had in the 2nd and I would prefer them over higgins shanault in the 1st rd. As for the combine itself I think it is a toll that can bite you in the butt, and it did for Buffalo years ago when they went Maybin with a 1 year wonder at PSU. 

With how deep the draft is at WR I could see both Claypool and Pittman available in round 3 tbh.

Right now I see the round 2 WR's being Reagor, Higgins, Shenault, Aiyuk, and Mims. It wouldn't shock me to see either Pittman or Claypool go Rd 2 though. 

Round 1 locks IMO are obviously Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs and Jefferson.

15 hours ago, DER10N92 said:

Epenesa just did his 40 and it was over 5 seconds. In a day where guys on the edge are going at 4.6-4.7 that kind of worries me a bit. Today’s game is a lot faster. If we did end up with him, hopefully his production can come through good technique to make up for a lack of speed. 

His 17 reps on the bench is worrisome too.

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

With how deep the draft is at WR I could see both Claypool and Pittman available in round 3 tbh.

Right now I see the round 2 WR's being Reagor, Higgins, Shenault, Aiyuk, and Mims. It wouldn't shock me to see either Pittman or Claypool go Rd 2 though. 

Round 1 locks IMO are obviously Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs and Jefferson.

If Wr werent so deep I would say move up to get one of the 3 jeudy lamb or ruggs preferably one of the 1st two over ruggs. I would also rather move up in the draft to get Chaisson or Simmons. If Simmons some how falls because of the QB love in this draft early on I think it would be a huge get, he can play all over and fill in for the ZO role then be that formation where he can play 3rd safety in nickel. No way they can move up for chase so those guys to me are the only ones worth going up to get in this draft if not then sit and go BPA at 22 dont draft a need draft best player there.