The NOT Too Early 2018 NFL Draft Thread

turtle28

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

One was being considered for the first pick in the draft and the other wasn’t. This comparison is ridiculous. 

First, Allen was never seriously being considered as the number 1 pick over Myles Garrett.  

Second, that disparity in TFLs and sacks is much more "ridiculous" than the gap in expected draft picks between the two players.

2 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

First, Allen was never seriously being considered as the number 1 pick over Myles Garrett.  

Second, that disparity in TFLs and sacks is much more "ridiculous" than the gap in expected draft picks between the two players.

It’s a stupid comparison. They are two completely different players with two completely different responsibilities. This would be like comparing a TE and a Receiver and then bitching because the TE doesn’t have as many yards or TDs. 

Oh, excuse me, he was seen as a top 3 pick up until his fall on draft day. Nobody was mocking Allen outside of the top 5. 

15 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

It’s a stupid comparison. They are two completely different players with two completely different responsibilities. This would be like comparing a TE and a Receiver and then bitching because the TE doesn’t have as many yards or TDs. 

Actually, in Nick Saban's scheme, all the defensive linemen are responsible for two gaps.  Payne wasn't asked to do much more than Allen was asked to do.  They both were asked to two-gap at the LOS.

7 minutes ago, taylor made said:

The knock on Payne's production is legit. You do have to raise an eyebrow and can't ignore it. It is unusually low for a first round prospect. Vea's production isn't anything special either.

I agree, but:

Payne: 3 career sacks, 5 career TFLs

Vea: 9.5 career sacks, 15 TFLs

Vea tripled both Payne's career sacks and TFLs.

There are two players in the draft that are highly underrated in my opinion.

Akrum Wadley from Iowa is the first, his feet are the best in the draft and it isn't even close. I don't know if he can handle a full workload in the NFL but when he is on the field defenses need to know where he is at all times. I really like him.

The other is Harrison Phillips, the nose tackle from Stanford. His production last year as a 1 tech is off the charts and nobody talks about him at all. He will be a 10 year pro, maybe not superstar but highly productive. Tim Settle gets a lot of love and he fell down during positional drills at combine and his athletic #s sucked. Might end up being a good player but way way overrated.

If we could end up with a player like Fitzpatrick in the first, Phillips in the 2nd, trade back into the 4th for two selections with Akrum Wadley and Wyatt Teller from VT we would be legit.

Never gonna happen but I'd be happy.

What underrated player out there would you guys like to see us get? I'm sure there's some different opinions out there

4 minutes ago, Eric said:

What underrated player out there would you guys like to see us get? I'm sure there's some different opinions out there

Not sure what to make of Harrison Phillips' production. There's a laundry list of Stanford defenders over the past 10 years that put up big numbers there. And they've done very little in the NFL.

Wadley is interesting - but he's not gonna come here to take Chris Thompson's job. Take a look at Justin Jackson from Northwestern and Kalen Ballage out of ASU. I think either of them are better fits.

I like Wyatt Teller a lot and would draft him in the 4th but my sleeper at guard is Skyler Phillips out of Idaho St. He's an absolute mauler, has experience playing tackle and I like him better

than Austin Corbett who is projected to be a 2nd rounder.

1 minute ago, taylor made said:

Yeah and Danny Shelton put up Vea's career stats in one season.  I think Vea's lack of production is because he wasn't on the field that much.

Yeah, Danny Shelton was ridiculous in his senior season.  I wish I could find snap counts on college players.

2 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Yeah, Danny Shelton was ridiculous in his senior season.  I wish I could find snap counts on college players.

From PFF:

22. Vita Vea, Washington – interior defender

Vea is the definition of a disrupter, he moves the line of scrimmage and not the other way around. Only playing 62.2 percent of Washington’s snaps this past season is a little concerning, but there are few concerns about his on-field performance. – Mike Renner (@PFF_Mike)

Just now, taylor made said:

From PFF:

22. Vita Vea, Washington – interior defender

Vea is the definition of a disrupter, he moves the line of scrimmage and not the other way around. Only playing 62.2 percent of Washington’s snaps this past season is a little concerning, but there are few concerns about his on-field performance. – Mike Renner (@PFF_Mike)

Yeah, I meant a place where I could find snap counts for every college player so that I could compare.  I found Vea's snaps here: https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-is-vita-vea-the-next-haloti-ngata

But I would like to compare them to Shelton's and Payne's.

Archived