Mike Maccagnan Thread

Jetfan66

17 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

It's 100% flawed, but Mac hasn't produced a ton of elite talent man.  Out of those 28 picks, he has 2 pro bowlers  (Jamal as a starter and Leo as an alternate).  

And again, my point is not that Maccagnan has been a great GM; I’m saying that he hasn’t been as bad as chalked up to be.

People need to be patient. The draft is a crapshoot- your going to have hits and misses. But if he’s able to have another draft like he did last year, plus land a few top tier FAs, he’ll be back in the media’s and most fans good graces. 

7 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Agreed 100%. They have to, but they wont. Jets never do things the conventional way or even worse, the smart way. Mikey Mac is the worst drafting GM we have ever had.

??? 

I’m in awe that people actually think Idzik was better than Maccagnan. Idzik was Millen-level. 

11 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

And again, my point is not that Maccagnan has been a great GM; I’m saying that he hasn’t been as bad as chalked up to be.

People need to be patient. The draft is a crapshoot- your going to have hits and misses. But if he’s able to have another draft like he did last year, plus land a few top tier FAs, he’ll be back in the media’s and most fans good graces. 

Another draft like which?  2017?

1 minute ago, jetskid007 said:

??? 

I’m in awe that people actually think Idzik was better than Maccagnan. Idzik was Millen-level. 

Idzik had 2 years. He was bad too. No question his drafts were bad, but in 4 years Macs have been equally as bad, and his trade downs on draft day were embarrassing. I simply dont have much faith left in him at this point. Not to mention Idzik was a money guy who had to clean up Tannenbaums credit card debt approach, and Mikey Mac was supposed to be the guy to "BUILD THROUGH THE DRAFT" with his scouting background, except he has been one of the worst drafters in the NFL. He has failed miserably in that regard. The trade up last year was brilliant, truly brilliant, and I will give him that, but outside of that he has been bad.

4 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Idzik had 2 years. He was bad too. No question his drafts were bad, but in 4 years Macs have been equally as bad, and his trade downs on draft day were embarrassing. I simply dont have much faith left in him at this point. Not to mention Idzik was a money guy who had to clean up Tannenbaums credit card debt approach, and Mikey Mac was supposed to be the guy to "BUILD THROUGH THE DRAFT" with his scouting background, except he has been one of the worst drafters in the NFL. He has failed miserably in that regard. The trade up last year was brilliant, truly brilliant, and I will give him that, but outside of that he has been bad.

You’re being hypercritical. If given time, I guarantee I can put together a list of at least 12 organizations who have been worse at drafting then the Jets from 2015-2018.

1 minute ago, jetskid007 said:

You’re being hypercritical. If given time, I guarantee I can put together a list of at least 12 organizations who have been worse at drafting then the Jets from 2015-2018.

By all means. Fact of the matter is we haven't progressed. That is a fact.  

1 minute ago, ekill08x said:

By all means. Fact of the matter is we haven't progressed. That is a fact.  

So the fact that the only players he was left to build around were Wilkerson, Richardson, Winters, Enunwa, and Powell had nothing to do with it? The coaching deserves no blame? The owner taking it upon himself to add Revis and create a win-now atmosphere is on him? 

Maccagnan convinced ownership we needed to undergo a full fledged rebuild after the disappointing 2016 season. Chris Johnson  bought in. They’ve found their QB of the offense and defense. They’ve added solid veterans in Pennel, Beachum, Williamson, and Anderson, without taking out a mortgage. Outside of Adams and Darnold, they drafted pieces in Maye, McGuire, Shepherd, and Herndon with a few more players developing roles. There have been disappointments, but not defining ones. For the most part, these players have trended in the right direction. 

Maybe we haven’t progressed record wise, but needed to take a few steps back prior to taking a leap forward. That’s been the plan since 2016. Todd was given 2 years with a new staff and the expectation coming into this year is that he would need to show progress. Despite a clearly more talented roster, he failed to do so- hence why he’s a goner. Doesn’t mean Macc hasn’t done his part.

1 hour ago, barnaby8787 said:

Look at Les Sneads first four drafts:

First draft: Michael Brockers, Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, Zuerlein.  

Second draft: Brutal. 

Third Draft: Aaron Donald, Lamarcus Joyner, EJ Gaines

Fourth Draft: Todd Gurley, Rob Havenstein

That's a TON of talent.  You're talking a handful of elite players at their respective positions.

I only see two elite players in Donald and Gurley.  4 are not on the Rams anymore .  See a lot of people ripping Leo and he is much better player than Brockers without a guy like Donald playing next to him.  I believe Adams and Darnold will be elite that Macc drafted for us and if Maye can get past the injury bug he will be borderline elite as well (see Gurley as an example of injuries early but fulfilled promise later).

Point is the Rams found some nice players but so have we.  Donald is prize that the Rams found and is once in a lifetime player.  Not saying Macc has found the talent like you list above but he has found some talent and most importantly a franchise QB.

Just now, JetsFan15 said:

I only see two elite players in Donald and Gurley.  4 are not on the Rams anymore .  See a lot of people ripping Leo and he is much better player than Brockers without a guy like Donald playing next to him.  I believe Adams and Darnold will be elite that Macc drafted for us and if Maye can get past the injury bug he will be borderline elite as well (see Gurley as an example of injuries early but fulfilled promise later).

Point is the Rams found some nice players but so have we.  Donald is prize that the Rams found and is once in a lifetime player.  Not saying Macc has found the talent like you list above but he has found some talent and most importantly a franchise QB.

Donald and Gurley are elite.  Havenstein is one of the best tackles in the league (#4 tackle in the league right now per PFF).  Joyner is one of the better safeties in the league (#3 safety in the league last year per PFF, in the 20's this year).  They drafted well and couldn't retain their corners.  Brockers is definitely better with Donald next to him, but he's still a good player.

5 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Donald and Gurley are elite.  Havenstein is one of the best tackles in the league (#4 tackle in the league right now per PFF).  Joyner is one of the better safeties in the league (#3 safety in the league last year per PFF, in the 20's this year).  They drafted well and couldn't retain their corners.  Brockers is definitely better with Donald next to him, but he's still a good player.

Like I said Donald and Gurley are elite.  Others are talented.  I am fine with Leo (who is better than Brockers), Adams, Maye, Darnold, Herndon, Anderson (off the street) and Lee as talented players our GM has drafted in his first 4 drafts.  You are dealing with the benefit of minimally 4 full season of "hindsight" from the last draft you sighted. 

I am confident that we will have 2 elite All Pro players from those I listed 4 seasons from the 2018 draft class, just like you listed from the Rams classes.

4 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

Like I said Donald and Gurley are elite.  Others are talented.  I am fine with Leo (who is better than Brockers), Adams, Maye, Darnold, Herndon, Anderson (off the street) and Lee as talented players our GM has drafted in his first 4 drafts.  You are dealing with the benefit of minimally 4 full season of "hindsight" from the last draft you sighted. 

I am confident that we will have 2 elite All Pro players from those I listed 4 seasons from the 2018 draft class, just like you listed from the Rams classes.

We’ll see man. Either way, I don’t think you can compare Mac’s drafts to Snead’s right now. We’ll see two years down the road. 

As much as we need O line help and that third WR, I don't see us drafting  a offensive player with our high first round pick. Unless Macc, feels Metcail, is worthy of a high first round pick. Or  Macc thinks Williams the OT is another Anthony Munoz. I think he will be forced to take a edge rusher, with the third overall pick in the draft. With no second round pick any chance of getting a top WR will be gone when we pick again in the third round. The only thing that could save our off season is if Macc strikes gold with the 100 million dollars we have in cap money. Trading down in the first round is another chance to get that second round pick we need so desperately. A lot of things could change if we get Bell in the FA market.

Archived