Mike Maccagnan Thread

Jetfan66

5 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Wait, what? McVay runs a completely different system. The Rams weren't even running a true WCO under Fisher. They were running a Frankenstein offense. They tried to keep the system that Schotty ran and add more WCO elements to it. But even then, McVay didn't come from the same coaching tree as the Fisher OCs. 

It's wrong. The style of offense is different, the formation and sets are different, and the terminology is different. Tom Brady and Peyton Manning both ran E-P variants, but their systems couldn't be more different. Just because offenses are derived from the same foundation doesn't mean they're remotely similar (although, the Fisher offense wasn't even derived from the same foundation).

Are you telling me that Boras continued running SCotty's base for Goff who came in two years after Schotty's departure?

15 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Are you telling me that Boras continued running SCotty's base for Goff who came in two years after Schotty's departure?

No, it's because he didn't know how to be a coordinator. He adopted the previous scheme and tried making small changes that didn't work. He was never suited to be an OC. 

6 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

No, it's because he didn't know how to be a coordinator. He adopted the previous scheme and tried making small changes that didn't work. He was never suited to be an OC. 

Come on.  I thought I am on your ignored list.

Boras kept this scheme for 2 years?  Fisher should not coach again.

43 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Cignetti-Bringing-Tweaks-to-Offense/c863054f-bbb2-4064-9f24-19bb88b9b572

“You go buy a house, what do you do? ‘Let’s remodel a couple of rooms,’” Cignetti said. “Really, that’s what we’ve done. The foundation of the system hasn’t changed. All we’ve done is put our personal touches in the different areas. And frankly, if coach Schottenheimer were still here, that’s what you’d do as a staff every year. You look at it and you continually look for ways to improve.”

Boras made few changes to the offense Cignetti ran. I begged for the Rams to get a real OC (I begged for them to hire John DeFilippo after 2015) and not promote from within, but Fisher wanted to run his offense. No real OC was willing to stake his career to Fisher's offense.

Here's another article:

http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Under-Boras-Groh-Rams-Adjust-Offensive-Scheme/7603f111-2408-41f0-a317-3510b5422f2c

By the end of Fisher's tenure, it was a Frankenstein offense. He tried to take the Schotty base and add things from different systems to it, but none of it fit together. We didn't have a coherent offensive identity. 

Bowles is clueless on offense and hasn’t made this defensive scheme great like he could have. A lot of coaches can have this defense playing well with the talent we have on it. To add to it ST he’s clueless on as well as time management and all. As a rookie HC I could overlook that. But he’s 3yrs in now and hasn’t gotten better about it. Promote Morton or something. Get an offensive guy as a HV for once. It’s been forever since we’ve had an offensive mind leading this team.

4 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

This can’t be true.. since Bowles became HC the Jets only have 5 road wins in three seasons with two against the Browns and one against the Giants? That’s pretty bad. And we squeezed out those 2 wins against Cleveland lol

I read a few weeks ago that he has 8, but only 5 against teams with winning records.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

Bowles is clueless on offense and hasn’t made this defensive scheme great like he could have. A lot of coaches can have this defense playing well with the talent we have on it. To add to it ST he’s clueless on as well as time management and all. As a rookie HC I could overlook that. But he’s 3yrs in now and hasn’t gotten better about it. Promote Morton or something. Get an offensive guy as a HV for once. It’s been forever since we’ve had an offensive mind leading this team.

I don't think Morton and his mundane playcalling is the answer either honestly.  If we got rid of Bowles, I'd want DeFilippo personally. 

1 hour ago, barnaby8787 said:

I don't think Morton and his mundane playcalling is the answer either honestly.  If we got rid of Bowles, I'd want DeFilippo personally. 

I actually liked the play calling for the most part. I really think a Center and a Pass Rusher would have gotten us the Falcon, Dolphin and Patriot games earlier this year. I think the OL and Running game suffered from having the worst Center in the league. Outside of the Bronco and Raider games this team was in every game this year. I think we just lacked the talent to push the needle to winning those close games. As much as it sounds silly to say we need the big 4 positions (QB/EDGE/LT/CB), I don't think it's outrageous to think we can't get a nice chunk of that puzzle.

Ravens don't have the cap to pay Jensen the deal he'll need. I think we'd have to over pay for him but that drastically changes our running game at the very least. If we blow our load on Cousins then I think we draft a center in round 2 which you'd have to think would be an upgrade from the worst in the league haha I think Ealy + Lawrence or Sheldon + 2nd round pass rusher or double dipping at pass rusher could get us the pressure we need. I like a lot of the CB options out there in FA so even with a Cousins signing we should be able to attract 2 starting caliber CBs (Claiborne + outside FA). Then it comes down to QB which you'd have to imagine we either get Cousins or take one with our 1st rounder. I think we have a lot of options to fix the big holes, I'd like to see this team with that added talent level.

I will say it in every thread where the HC gets brought up....if you fire Bowles, which at this point I am all for it, he really is clueless, sign a HC with previous experience. The last 5 HC hires have all been first timers...time to bring in an experienced HC. Maybe someone with an offensive background. We have hired a rookie defensive minded HC since Parcells left and hired Al Groh. We have to change our philosophy and hierarchy. No more of this answering to one of these Johnson idiots. Let the GM and HC make the decisions or we will continue to be one of the leagues worst franchises.

In the off-season, I was adamant about Wes Johnson being absolutely terrible and everyone saying I was wrong. I even brought up stats to back up my eyeball test. Unfortunately I was right. I hope we sign the Ravens Center if he makes it to FA. He is a stud.

Archived