Mike Maccagnan Thread

Jetfan66

4 minutes ago, Jetfan66 said:

In the off-season, I was adamant about Wes Johnson being absolutely terrible and everyone saying I was wrong. I even brought up stats to back up my eyeball test. Unfortunately I was right. I hope we sign the Ravens Center if he makes it to FA. He is a stud.

Yup, that is unfortunate. Packers' Linsley is also a good option.  He had negotiation about new contract last September but so far, there has been no update report.  We'll see.  

8 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

If you plan to draft a RB that high, why not go after a proven RB with extension opportunity.

Bc let’s say we use or Seattle 2nd Rounder on a RB (just an example) that guy will cost significantly less than a FA or a guy we’d trade for that we’d have to pay soon. A rookie we can control for cheap for atleast 4 years. I like both Georgia RBs. I hope we get one of them . 

33 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

If you plan to draft a RB that high, why not go after a proven RB with extension opportunity.

Cheap RB for 4 years vs trading the pick and having a cheap RB for 1 year. No idea why teams prefer drafting RBs when that is the easiest position to transition to the NFL.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Bc let’s say we use or Seattle 2nd Rounder on a RB (just an example) that guy will cost significantly less than a FA or a guy we’d trade for that we’d have to pay soon. A rookie we can control for cheap for atleast 4 years. I like both Georgia RBs. I hope we get one of them . 

Fixating on an exact RB prospect for an exact pick is not a way to ignore Coleman's talent but indeed, there are plenty of RB in the draft pool for 2nd.

If Jets managed to draft Cousins without losing any pick then getting Coleman may be swell idea. With both aboard and drafting either WR or Edge in 1st, Jets are improving the identity immediately.

It's been discussed, but is more relevant now considering Maccagnan was extended. Some have discredited Maccagnan's ability to find a QB solely because of Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg. He took risks on extremely talented players, hoping to develop them into high-end backups and starters, without using top 40 picks. Remember- Ted Thompson spent draft picks on Ingle Martin (5th round), Brian Brohm (2nd round), Matt Flynn (7th round) before Rodgers became starter. Doesn't make Ted Thompson a poor talent evaluator. He took risks and hedged his bets in case A-Rod didn't become a franchise QB. Luckily he did, and everyone forgot about the wasted draft picks. 

Maybe Hackenberg does still get an opportunity next year and runs with it, maybe we draft a franchise guy at the top of the draft, or maybe we sign Kirk Cousins. Regardless, if Maccagnan does find a franchise QB, all will be forgiven. 

2 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

It's been discussed, but is more relevant now considering Maccagnan was extended. Some have discredited Maccagnan's ability to find a QB solely because of Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg. He took risks on extremely talented players, hoping to develop them into high-end backups and starters, without using top 40 picks. Remember- Ted Thompson spent draft picks on Ingle Martin (5th round), Brian Brohm (2nd round), Matt Flynn (7th round) before Rodgers became starter. Doesn't make Ted Thompson a poor talent evaluator. He took risks and hedged his bets in case A-Rod didn't become a franchise QB. Luckily he did, and everyone forgot about the wasted draft picks. 

Maybe Hackenberg does still get an opportunity next year and runs with it, maybe we draft a franchise guy at the top of the draft, or maybe we sign Kirk Cousins. Regardless, if Maccagnan does find a franchise QB, all will be forgiven. 

Ted Thompson spent draft picks on guys that would backup Favre for years if hopes that they could eventually develop into competent backups or a potential starter.  Mac didn't take that approach.  Mac took two guys hoping they'd work their way into starters.  Petty has been horrific.  We'll see how Hack does if he makes it to the field.  Although I agree, all will be forgotten if he finds our franchise QB.

9 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I’m not 100% sure of this but I thought I read somewhere his “plan” was to have Hack sit two years behind Fitz. Can’t say I like that plan

Im a little jaded on this entire regime and the QB situation simply because of the ridiculous amount of faith they placed in Ryan Fitzpatrick

16 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Ted Thompson spent draft picks on guys that would backup Favre for years if hopes that they could eventually develop into competent backups or a potential starter.  Mac didn't take that approach.  Mac took two guys hoping they'd work their way into starters.  Petty has been horrific.  We'll see how Hack does if he makes it to the field.  Although I agree, all will be forgotten if he finds our franchise QB.

When TT drafted those nobody qbs, Aaron Rodgers was Favre's backup qb.

Edit... Packers went double dip on qb (Brohm and Flynn) when they prepared Rodgers as a full time starter for first time.

5 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

I’m not 100% sure of this but I thought I read somewhere his “plan” was to have Hack sit two years behind Fitz. Can’t say I like that plan

Im a little jaded on this entire regime and the QB situation simply because of the ridiculous amount of faith they placed in Ryan Fitzpatrick

If that is true.  Yuck!  However, I do believe Maccagnan still considers him as a qb of the future.  Still, that should not prevent Maccagnan from drafting a better qb prospect.

13 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Favre was a Jet when they drafted Brohm and Flynn

12 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

The plan was for him to gradually escalate each year from being a redshirt to 2nd string until he was ready to start. Many expected that to take 1.5-to-2 years. Problem is it has taken much longer. He didn't take the job from Petty as the organization expected. Maybe Hack ends up being a starter in year 3, 4, 5 with us or another team, but you can't expect the Jets to wait. They had a plan, did everything they could to allow Hackenberg to develop at a reasonable rate, but it just hasn't happened. 

The biggest mistake (as you noted) was expecting Fitzpatrick to be a successful QB for 2 seasons and not properly considering Chan Gailey's age/commitment to coaching before selecting Hack. We drafted him when our only two QBs under contract were Geno Smith and Bryce Petty, and Gailey apparently told Bowles he was not sure how much longer he'd be coaching. 

Archived