• Marlon Davidson [ DL ] Auburn
    • Neville Gallimore [ IDL ] Oklahoma
    • Tee Higgins [ WR ] Clemson
    • Trevon Diggs [ CB ] Alabama
    • Xavier McKinney [ S ] Alabama
    • Other (Please State)
    • [Leave Blank]

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/16/2020 at 05:54 AM

15 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And you used a pass rusher who is coming off his rookie year, a talented but nutcase defensive back, a solid albeit injury prone corner, and Josh Jackson.  Josh Jackson is really the only real bust in that group.  Your point?

Nah, I could have used Nick Perry, Derek Sherrod, Datone Jones as examples as well. Gary was a uniquely disliked prospect last year, met all of the GB thresholds and didn't play at a spot that was absolutely his to develop into and he seemed to play less and less as the season progressed. Still, you never know - might finally come good for the first time in his entire football career. 

2 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Nah, I could have used Nick Perry, Derek Sherrod, Datone Jones as examples as well. Gary was a uniquely disliked prospect last year, met all of the GB thresholds and didn't play at a spot that was absolutely his to develop into and he seemed to play less and less as the season progressed. Still, you never know - might finally come good for the first time in his entire football career. 

So...two injury busts and one legitimate bust?  Sure.  The Packers never put a premium on athleticism until after Gute took over.  In fact, the Packers put a premium on "football players" prior to Gute.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

So...two injury busts and one legitimate bust?  Sure.  The Packers never put a premium on athleticism until after Gute took over.  In fact, the Packers put a premium on "football players" prior to Gute.

So, I've got know then where has this approach to team building actually been paying off for you guys of late? Cos to everyone else it looks like you guys have refused to upgrade perennially under-performing spots on the roster and wasted the best years of a generational QB's by lumping him with a bunch of raw height-weight-speed receivers who haven't developed at all.  

11 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

So, I've got know then where has this approach to team building actually been paying off for you guys of late? Cos to everyone else it looks like you guys have refused to upgrade perennially under-performing spots on the roster and wasted the best years of a generational QB's by lumping him with a bunch of raw height-weight-speed receivers who haven't developed at all.  

Because ILB play hasn't been the reason why the Packers were awful against San Francisco.  Our DL was lousy against the run, and the Packers refused to adjust from their light box.  Pettine has consistently talked about playing defense to defend against the pass.  If you have an issue with how the FO drafts, they're drafting to fit the mold of the defense.

16 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Because ILB play hasn't been the reason why the Packers were awful against San Francisco.  Our DL was lousy against the run, and the Packers refused to adjust from their light box.  Pettine has consistently talked about playing defense to defend against the pass.  If you have an issue with how the FO drafts, they're drafting to fit the mold of the defense.

I have an issue with the concept of spending high picks on 'premium' and 'non-premium' positions. Like, you guys have spent 1st and 2nd round picks on four corners and three safeties since 2015 and how many quality starters have you got out of that? Seven defensive backs with premium picks since 2015. No-one to throw to, nobody to play linebacker. 

1 minute ago, goldfishwars said:

I have an issue with the concept of spending high picks on 'premium' and 'non-premium' positions. Like, you guys have spent 1st and 2nd round picks on four corners and three safeties since 2015 and how many quality starters have you got out of that? Seven defensive backs with premium picks since 2015. No-one to throw to, nobody to play linebacker. 

So...the solution is to draft Stephone Anthony, Devin Smith, etc. of the world?  Your issue isn't with the concept.  It's with the execution.  Which is again why your argument is using confirmation bias.  IF the Packers were successful in this draft strategy, would you be arguing this side?  No.  Find me a team who is more willing to draft non-premiums and show me their draft success.  The argument came from who would the Packers.  The Packers will likely pick a premium position.

If the Packers draft strategy is flawed, then why are they number 1 in the entire league in value derived from the draft over the last 20 years ?
I'm not saying they are right or wrong, but if it was a seriously flawed strategy -  then I guess the Packers just got really lucky 20 times in a row

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EU26vPPXgAAuWNH?format=jpg&name=small

Better than BB, better than Ozzie, better then Schneider.

11 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

If the Packers draft strategy is flawed, then why are they number 1 in the entire league in value derived from the draft over the last 20 years ?
I'm not saying they are right or wrong, but if it was a seriously flawed strategy -  then I guess the Packers just got really lucky 20 times in a row

What is the metric behind this link? Like how does it work? I want to learn more about my Redskins last place finish.

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

I'm guessing the first ten out of that 20 is doing a lot of heavy lifting here.

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

What is the metric behind this link? Like how does it work?

its from Pro Football Reference and they have a stat called AV which is Approximate Value
Here's a link to career leaders in AV and the formula is in the 2nd link. Its not the gospel, but it is a useful tool

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/av_career.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/index37a8.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

I'm guessing the first ten out of that 20 is doing a lot of heavy lifting here.

I'm guessing there's nothing I can post that will change your mind...

So I'll just say thanks very much for running these mocks, they are greatly appreciated by many

On 4/15/2020 at 2:11 AM, Ragnarok said:

If Murray is available and we don't sprint him up...I will throw a fit.  Last time we needed an ILB and passed on the guy I wanted it was Eric Kendricks.  

Second is Aiyuk.  More realistic imo, I think he would be a perfect compliment to Davante.

Third is Swift because a stud RB to pair with, and replace, Aaron Jones would be nice.

But ILB is a huge need and Murray should have gone ten picks ago.

Vikings fans appreciate that you did that.  :P  I'm just hoping that we don't return the favor this year and pass on Denzel Mims, only to see you guys take him and terrorize us with him for the next decade.