• Reggie Robinson, CB
    • David Woodward, LB
    • Saahdiq Charles, OT
    • JR Reed, S
    • Matt Hennessey, C
    • Troy Pride Jr, CB
    • Antoine Brooks Jr., S
    • Hakeem Adeniji, OT

I'm starting to watch CB Reggie Robinson out of Tulsa and he tested well athletically and has the game-tape to back it up. He isn't afraid to tackle, and plays the ball well when it is up in the air. He looks like DeAndre Hopkins out there playing corner-back. He should be on the short-list for our 4th rounders or 5th rounder.

6 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Bryant is 6'2. Claypool is 6'4 and Sprinkle is 6'5.

Yes, Bryant is a better athlete then Sprinkle though and Bryant has great hands. I think they’d compliment each other well.

Edited by turtle28

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Yes, Bryant is a better athlete then Sprinkle though. 

No hes not. The only thing Bryant has over Sprinkle is cuts in routes acceleration because hes so much smaller. Other than that, Sprinkle is faster and all else.  One knock on Hunter is he isnt physical enough to block and anybody can blow by him. Sprinkle is a decent blocker.

The things that make no sense in getting a TE and being happy with Sprinkle. Is that NO TE can carry 250+lbs and get open in under 2.5 seconds with any consistency.  Haskins had a league leading 2.3 seconds from snap that he released the ball. The only other under 3 seconds was Cousins. Sprinkles production would show better on any other team. Hunter is slower than Sprinkle. And hes going to work open in that amount of time over him?

Hunter is a short-slow-nonblocking TE that I doubt will amount to much more than a backup on any team.

14 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

No hes not. The only thing Bryant has over Sprinkle is cuts in routes acceleration because hes so much smaller. Other than that, Sprinkle is faster and all else.  One knock on Hunter is he isnt physical enough to block and anybody can blow by him. Sprinkle is a decent blocker.

The things that make no sense in getting a TE and being happy with Sprinkle. Is that NO TE can carry 250+lbs and get open in under 2.5 seconds with any consistency.  Haskins had a league leading 2.3 seconds from snap that he released the ball. The only other under 3 seconds was Cousins. Sprinkles production would show better on any other team. Hunter is slower than Sprinkle. And hes going to work open in that amount of time over him?

Hunter is a short-slow-nonblocking TE that I doubt will amount to much more than a backup on any team.

Of all the players you’ve bashed and most of the time rightfully so, I will never understand you taking a liking to Jeremy Sprinkle? He’s horrible. 

Edited by lavar703

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Of all the players you’ve bashed and most of the time rightfully so, I will never understand you taking a liking to Jeremy Sprinkle? He’s horrible. 

I don’t want to put words in his mouth, but I think he’s not really arguing that Sprinkle isn’t bad — I think he’s arguing that the TEs in this draft are also bad.

Which is kinda hard to argue with, when you look at where we are, a week before the draft. It’s accepted consensus that a converted baseball player with 691 career receiving yards won’t make it to the 3rd round. It’s considered a toss-up whether a guy from a non-scholarship FCS who ran a 4.8 40 makes it to us at the top of the 3rd. Then you’ve got this rogue’s gallery of 5-6 guys with multiple big flaws, and it’s looking like a real possibility that none of them will make it through the 4th. 

It’s all a very “lots of demand and no supply” dynamic. There’s not a single TE in this draft that I feel good about. There are some I have some hope could turn into quality, productive TEs with good coaching and hard work and a connection with the QB. But it’s a pretty weak crop, to say the very least. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I don’t want to put words in his mouth, but I think he’s not really arguing that Sprinkle isn’t bad — I think he’s arguing that the TEs in this draft are also bad.

Which is kinda hard to argue with, when you look at where we are, a week before the draft. It’s accepted consensus that a converted baseball player with 691 career receiving yards won’t make it to the 3rd round. It’s considered a toss-up whether a guy from a non-scholarship FCS who ran a 4.8 40 makes it to us at the top of the 3rd. Then you’ve got this rogue’s gallery of 5-6 guys with multiple big flaws, and it’s looking like a real possibility that none of them will make it through the 4th. 

It’s all a very “lots of demand and no supply” dynamic. There’s not a single TE in this draft that I feel good about. There are some I have some hope could turn into quality, productive TEs with good coaching and hard work and a connection with the QB. But it’s a pretty weak crop, to say the very least. 

Unless parrot has changed his tune, he argued last season that Sprinkle would be good. He’s been very bullish on Sprinkle. It’s odd. 

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I said it in the big TE thread going. Sprinkle is as good as any we find in this draft left by our 3rd round pick. And he can block.

People seem to want to have a TE to throw to. None are getting open in 2.3 seconds. I forget what the league avg was. Could have been as high as 4.2 seconds or so. Know how much more of a route any 250+lb 4.7-40 speed TE can do with 2 seconds more? Sprinkle had it rougher than any TE in the league in that regard. And stats reflect that. So long as his blocking is solid during run and pass plays. I see no reason not to go after the 4.3 speed CB to try and fill some of the gaping holes elsewhere.

22 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I said it in the big TE thread going. Sprinkle is as good as any we find in this draft left by our 3rd round pick. And he can block.

People seem to want to have a TE to throw to. None are getting open in 2.3 seconds. I forget what the league avg was. Could have been as high as 4.2 seconds or so. Know how much more of a route any 250+lb 4.7-40 speed TE can do with 2 seconds more? Sprinkle had it rougher than any TE in the league in that regard. And stats reflect that. So long as his blocking is solid during run and pass plays. I see no reason not to go after the 4.3 speed CB to try and fill some of the gaping holes elsewhere.

The Athletic ran an article a few days ago about the TE class this year, and the evaluation from someone was it was the poops, but in a more colorful, four letter word.  TE's are a good safety valve, but with so many other needs, I just don't see it being a high one.  

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The Athletic ran an article a few days ago about the TE class this year, and the evaluation from someone was it was the poops, but in a more colorful, four letter word.  TE's are a good safety valve, but with so many other needs, I just don't see it being a high one.  

It is that. 

Which, incidentally, is why they should have used FA as the means to bring in a quality target for Haskins at the position.

Now their hands are pretty much tied. Unless they really intend for this to just be a competition between King Sprinkle and the upstart Logan Thomas for the coveted “worst starting TE in football” throne — and to in turn leave yet another gaping hole to be addressed in this magical “next offseason” when they’ll be dealing with LT, MLB, FS, CB1, and potentially WR2/OLB/LG and more — they’re likely going to have to pull the trigger by the end of round 4. Beyond that, I don’t think there will be any guys at whom you could even squint really hard and see a reasonable bet to be a potential future starter. Maybe Thaddeus Moss will fall that far, depending on how you feel about him. 

I think that pick at the top of round 4 is where they’ll likely be hoping to address TE. It’s where I think the good value point is for guys like Albert O and the two Bryants.

On 4/16/2020 at 6:51 PM, e16bball said:

It is that. 

Which, incidentally, is why they should have used FA as the means to bring in a quality target for Haskins at the position.

Now their hands are pretty much tied. Unless they really intend for this to just be a competition between King Sprinkle and the upstart Logan Thomas for the coveted “worst starting TE in football” throne — and to in turn leave yet another gaping hole to be addressed in this magical “next offseason” when they’ll be dealing with LT, MLB, FS, CB1, and potentially WR2/OLB/LG and more — they’re likely going to have to pull the trigger by the end of round 4. Beyond that, I don’t think there will be any guys at whom you could even squint really hard and see a reasonable bet to be a potential future starter. Maybe Thaddeus Moss will fall that far, depending on how you feel about him. 

I think that pick at the top of round 4 is where they’ll likely be hoping to address TE. It’s where I think the good value point is for guys like Albert O and the two Bryants.

I dont think overpaying Hooper or using a high draft choice on a TE in this year's draft is the answer.  Sadly, you can't fill all of the holes on a roster in one off-season period, especially when the roster has as many holes on it as ours does thanks to Bruce Allen.  I just saw that Burton was released by the Bears, he could be a good addition, but none of the TE options really make me say this is the guy.