Browns and Redskins discussing Trent Williams deal

brooks1957

Just now, MWil23 said:

Especially when you factor in we are still giving up an extremely premium pick this year. 

If you're already a Super Bowl contender and you trade 2 1st rounders, that's not as big of a deal, because you're picking in the late 20s/early 30s, and you need a premier player.

We'd be talking about giving up 2-3 extremely high picks GUARANTEED plus future unknown value picks.

I’m not a huge fan of giving up future picks at all as the value is unknown.

It’s one thing if you’re going after your QBOTF, but for a second DE??

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’d be so far past pissed it wouldn’t even be funny 😂 

Essentially selling the farm for a second pass rusher...  big oof.

Why would you be mad about this? 2 young elite pass rushers would dominate opposing lines for a decade. If there’s anything outside of franchise qb that’s worth giving up the farm for its pass rush. 

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Even if they don't like Haskins IMO. They can use those future picks to go up and "get their guy" next year. You put an elite talent at QB with a reloaded roster that includes a 1st round OT, several pieces at the skill positions (WR, CB, RB), and that guy is set up for success.

If you don’t like Tua, yeah.  If his medical checks out he’s a damned good prospect.

Just now, sdrawkcab321 said:

Why would you be mad about this? 2 young elite pass rushers would dominate opposing lines for a decade. If there’s anything outside of franchise qb that’s worth giving up the farm for its pass rush. 

If you leave out literally every other aspect of the trade other than getting a good DE, yeah it looks great.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean you play 2 DEs.. so why not have 2 of the best? A great pass rush can single handily make a defense look good.  

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I'm personally a bigger fan of trading picks for proven players entering/already in their prime. Assuming you aren't setting yourself up for major cap implications. For example, let's say that we didn't have a glaring hole/chasm at the LT spot. I'd trade #10 and our 1st 3rd round pick for Jamal Adams AND NYJ 2nd round pick.

#10: Jamal Adams, All Pro under 26, position of need:

#41:

#42:

3rd (Houston)

Would still be our return/draft the rest of the way there.

Just now, sdrawkcab321 said:

I mean you play 2 DEs.. so why not have 2 of the best? A great pass rush can single handily make a defense look good.  

I’m not saying I don’t like the concept, I’m saying the cost and what it does to add talent to the roster moving forward isn’t worth it imo.

Just now, MWil23 said:

I'm personally a bigger fan of trading picks for proven players entering/already in their prime. Assuming you aren't setting yourself up for major cap implications. For example, let's say that we didn't have a glaring hole/chasm at the LT spot. I'd trade #10 and our 1st 3rd round pick for Jamal Adams AND NYJ 2nd round pick.

#41:

#42:

3rd (Houston)

I like trading picks for players, but I’d prefer to keep the first rounders if possible.

Just now, MWil23 said:

#41:

#42:

3rd (Houston)

Also, if I could land Trent with that 3rd (and that's it, maybe also a 2021 4th), I may do that too, especially if I'm a believer in Jackson at OT and he's sitting there at #41. Imagine a draft like this:

#10: Adams

#41: OT Jackson from USC

#42: S Winfield from Minnesota, Cole Kmet TE Notre Dame, insert whatever player you love that has a high 2nd Round grade here

3rd: Trent Williams

...IMO I wouldn't hate that. Now, it wouldn't be my first choice, but if Thomas and Wills are GONE there, I would actually come away relatively happy, especially when the alternative is Becton.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I like trading picks for players, but I’d prefer to keep the first rounders if possible.

I guess you have faith in drafting a lot more than I do. Because I seriously doubt we’d find talent that would equal chase in the middle of the first next year and a second which is a complete crap shoot. If we got chase to go with Myles we might be in early high teens early 20s next draft. But I guess I’ve always been quality over quantity. 

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:
4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

#41:

#42:

3rd (Houston)

I totally understand that, but at the same point, I wouldn't hate this:

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Also, if I could land Trent with that 3rd (and that's it, maybe also a 2021 4th), I may do that too, especially if I'm a believer in Jackson at OT and he's sitting there at #41. Imagine a draft like this:

#10: Adams

#41: OT Jackson from USC

#42: S Winfield from Minnesota, Cole Kmet TE Notre Dame, insert whatever player you love that has a high 2nd Round grade here

3rd: Trent Williams

...IMO I wouldn't hate that. Now, it wouldn't be my first choice, but if Thomas and Wills are GONE there, I would actually come away relatively happy, especially when the alternative is Becton.

Let's take a peek at the depth chart (just for fun):

LT: Williams, Jackson (LT of the future)

LG: Bitonio

C: Tretter

RG: Hubbard/Prospect X

RT: Conklin, Hubbard

WR: Landry

WR: OBJ

RB: Chubb/Hunt

QB: Baker

DE: Vernon

DT: Richardson

DT: Ogunjobi/Billings

DE: Myles

LB: Dumpster fire everywhere

S: Karl Joseph/Winfield

S: Adams, Winfield

CB: Greedy

CB: Ward

...and you still have essentially all of your picks in 2021 with youth at positions of need going forward/salary ramifications going forward, while not having to count on rookies to come in and start/contribute immediately to ease them in...and if those guys prove to be THE DUDES in 2020, you play them, but you don't have to.

3 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I guess you have faith in drafting a lot more than I do. Because I seriously doubt we’d find talent that would equal chase in the middle of the first next year and a second which is a complete crap shoot. If we got chase to go with Myles we might be in early high teens early 20s next draft. But I guess I’ve always been quality over quantity. 

You don’t have faith in drafting, but we should go all in on a player in the draft.  

Makes sense.

I prefer a large quantity of quality.

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I totally understand that, but at the same point, I wouldn't hate this:

Let's take a peek at the depth chart (just for fun):

LT: Williams, Jackson (LT of the future)

LG: Bitonio

C: Tretter

RG: Hubbard/Prospect X

RT: Conklin, Hubbard

WR: Landry

WR: OBJ

RB: Chubb/Hunt

QB: Baker

DE: Vernon

DT: Richardson

DT: Ogunjobi/Billings

DE: Myles

LB: Dumpster fire everywhere

S: Karl Joseph/Winfield

S: Adams, Winfield

CB: Greedy

CB: Ward

...and you still have essentially all of your picks in 2021 with youth at positions of need going forward/salary ramifications going forward, while not having to count on rookies to come in and start/contribute immediately to ease them in...and if those guys prove to be THE DUDES in 2020, you play them, but you don't have to.

If you land the guys you like at those spots, sure.  But if there’s a run on tackles and now you’re looking at that third tier of dudes at 41, is it still as appealing?

I wouldn’t hate it as you’re not going hard with ‘21 picks, but it depends on what you’re doing at tackle long term.