Bears Downs

MOSteelers56

If the decision to stay stay in the tunnel was explained prior to the action as a way to stay united and had nothing to do with disrespecting the flag.  And everyone in the tunnel has said that they were in no way trying to disrespect the country or the flag with their actions.  Then why are their actions percieved as disrespectful to the flag?  Does intent not matter?

3 hours ago, grubs10 said:

If the decision to stay stay in the tunnel was explained prior to the action as a way to stay united and had nothing to do with disrespecting the flag.  And everyone in the tunnel has said that they were in no way trying to disrespect the country or the flag with their actions.  Then why are their actions percieved as disrespectful to the flag?  Does intent not matter?

People can SAY anything.  It's called twisting the truth, or realizing they F'd up and trying to do damage control.  I prefer to go with what I can see, and any way you try to twist it, there were 4 coaches and Villanueva on the sideline.  No one else.  That's messed up no matter how they try to spin it.  They've admitted they weren't all going to be out there as they should be, so nothing else matters.

17 minutes ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

People can SAY anything.  It's called twisting the truth, or realizing they F'd up and trying to do damage control.  I prefer to go with what I can see, and any way you try to twist it, there were 4 coaches and Villanueva on the sideline.  No one else.  That's messed up no matter how they try to spin it.  They've admitted they weren't all going to be out there as they should be, so nothing else matters.

?

Well. Like I said, Tomlin forced them into this corner by saying everyone had to do the same thing. This honestly all comes down on him. The only thing the players should have had to decide on is do the guys that want to kneel go on the middle or on the end. 

That doesn't fit the narrative. Nobody is protesting the flag. Nobody is protesting the military. Everyone sees the anthem and a protest needs coverage to achieve it's goals. 

27 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

That doesn't fit the narrative. Nobody is protesting the flag. Nobody is protesting the military. Everyone sees the anthem and a protest needs coverage to achieve it's goals. 

I feel you on that.  I just find it strange that so many Steeler fans have such vitriol for the team after Sunday when so many players Big Ben, Debo, Cam Heyward, the offensive line, have gone out of their way in the past to say how much they love Big Al and respect his service and wouldn't want to disrespect him or the country in any way.  I can understand the view point of the people kneeling for the initial cause and don't fault them for wanting to shed light on something in a peaceful yet loudly silent protest, but the fact that so many guys that were in the tunnel have come out and said in the past that they don't want to even be perceived as disrespecting the anthem or our troops makes me look past the incident entirely.

I get that the media is going to media.

Actions speak louder than words. Players can say they wouldn't do anything to disrespect the military or the flag. They can say they love AV and wouldn't do anything to disrespect him. But that is in fact what you are doing! You don't get to decide for everybody if what you are doing is disrespectful. Find another way to get your point across. One that doesn't make mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, wives, husbands and children of those KIA want to cry when you kneel to the flag. And one that doesn't anger active service and veterans that think of you as nothing but spoiled little brats. The process of the message is flawed. Understand that please.

5 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Actions speak louder than words. Players can say they wouldn't do anything to disrespect the military or the flag. They can say they love AV and wouldn't do anything to disrespect him. But that is in fact what you are doing! You don't get to decide for everybody if what you are doing is disrespectful. Find another way to get your point across. One that doesn't make mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, wives, husbands and children of those KIA want to cry when you kneel to the flag. And one that doesn't anger active service and veterans that think of you as nothing but spoiled little brats. The process of the message is flawed. Understand that please.

My thing here is even the vets are divided.

So in a sport that so regulates everything on the field, how do you protest a social matter in a way you make it visible?

1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

The Vets aren't 50/50 by a loooong shot. Volunteer and donate your time and money to make a difference. Organize protests and functions in the community. These are things just off the top of my head.

They do all of that and nothing changes. The moderate people need to be forced to see what's going on because when we aren't, nothing changes. That is the protest.

13 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

They do all of that and nothing changes. The moderate people need to be forced to see what's going on because when we aren't, nothing changes. That is the protest.

All that these antics, along with the related protests of blocking roads, turns the "moderate" people against them.  They hurt their cause by pissing people off.  

This is no longer about play on the field.  There's a thread about the teams explanation / apology to discuss this.   This is a discussion that will most likely lead to being locked anyway so tread lightly.   We all have our feelings on the matter and there are a lot of strong, valid opinions on the matter.  Please respect our members and their opinions. 

Archived