The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

35 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Who knows. 

Carr could beat out Tannehill on the Titans for all we know. 

Henry, Brown, Davis, and Smith are better weapons than we've had. 

Agreed. Tannehill has balled out but he has also had Derrick Henry, AJ Brown, etc. 

22 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

let me start by saying I never liked Marcus Mariota (even in college). I've always thought he was overrated. But that's not necessarily why he was bad in Tennessee. He was bad in Tennessee because they kept switching coordinators, and he didn't really have a supporting cast until the year he ironically got benched. 

What are than that though, I knew the style he played in the Pac 12 wasn't going to translate to the NFL(which IMO is the reason why he keeps getting hurt). All that stuff is exciting but that's not nfl quarterback. But yes, injuries were also a factor

He was pretty solid early in his career but then got hurt and fell off of a cliff. 

39 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Who knows. 

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Agreed. Tannehill has balled out but he has also had Derrick Henry, AJ Brown, etc. 

I only asked because it was a follow up to how a player can benefit from a system and/or team change.  My earlier conversation with Frankie was about ho a players talents can be utilized better in different systems.  You put Tannehill on Vegas he might look like Miami Tannehill or Carr on the Titans could be better or worse than Tannehill.  You never know how it will workout exactly but you can have a decent idea.  I believe Carr could be a far better player with another coach.  In absolute terms Carr is a better QB in Gruden's system but Gruden would have an easier time maximizing MMs talents in his system.  I personally think Carr and Tannehill have very similar talent levels.  Who is in a better position to maximize those talents is Tannehill until proven otherwise.  If you remember Gruden was holding Gannon back also.  He has a great system and is an offensive genius but he is to conservative and that is why I see him and Carr as a bad combo because Carr himself is conservative.  Gruden needs a Maverick before Goose died.

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

If you remember Gruden was holding Gannon back also.

Gannon was a journeyman like Ryan Fitzpatrick before he got to Oakland and then won an MVP award and was a 2 time All-Pro with Gruden, lol.

• Like 1

And I wouldn't say Gruden is holding Carr back, Carr just had probably the best season of his career last year. We just allowed 30 points almost every week so it's impossible to consistently win if you're in a shoot out every week.

• Like 2

Right. Anyone can look good for a game. Thats what a lot of people didn't understand about McGloin at first

It also helped that the Chargers weren't game planning for Mariota and then our offense was completely different when he came in to the game. 

Right. Anyone can look good for a game. Thats what a lot of people didn't understand about McGloin at first

Lol homers/ “ Real “ fans were really confident in Mcgloin after Carr went down. Not soo much here but other platforms

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

I only asked because it was a follow up to how a player can benefit from a system and/or team change.  My earlier conversation with Frankie was about ho a players talents can be utilized better in different systems.  You put Tannehill on Vegas he might look like Miami Tannehill or Carr on the Titans could be better or worse than Tannehill.  You never know how it will workout exactly but you can have a decent idea.  I believe Carr could be a far better player with another coach.  In absolute terms Carr is a better QB in Gruden's system but Gruden would have an easier time maximizing MMs talents in his system.  I personally think Carr and Tannehill have very similar talent levels.  Who is in a better position to maximize those talents is Tannehill until proven otherwise.  If you remember Gruden was holding Gannon back also.  He has a great system and is an offensive genius but he is to conservative and that is why I see him and Carr as a bad combo because Carr himself is conservative.  Gruden needs a Maverick before Goose died.

Provided his issues are on-field and he doesn't absolutely blow, the benefits can be immeasurable. 

A nimrod like Manziel or Haskins, not so much. 

Tannehill absolutely needed a change from Miami. 

Goff is another good example. He was awful before McVay. He'll probably never live up to his draft status, but we've seen him be reasonably successful. We'll have to see how he does in Detroit.

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Gannon was a journeyman like Ryan Fitzpatrick before he got to Oakland and then won an MVP award and was a 2 time All-Pro with Gruden, lol.

Not saying he was not a good player under Gruden but Gruden played conservative with ball control.  Gannon averaged almost a 1000 yards per season less with Gruden than he did the year with Callahan.  It was the same system but Callahan just opened it up more and loosened the leash on Gannon.  Now getting back to MM and Vegas.  As you said Gannon was a journeyman before he got with Gruden and had less success than MM in Tenn.  Gruden made Gannon a pro bowler and his system when they opened it up made Gannon a league MVP.  So why is it so hard to believe that Gruden's system could turn MMs career around.  Especially since his skill set is closer to Gannon's than Carr's.  

Fitzpatrick's career numbers are much better than Gannon's with the exception of Int's and that is including Gannon's time with Oakland.  Also Fitz has played on some really bad offensive teams.  I really like Gannon and Fitz because of the fire they played with.  Something I do not see from MM or Carr.  MM more so because he is so quite.  He really needs to find his voice.

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Provided his issues are on-field and he doesn't absolutely blow, the benefits can be immeasurable. 

A nimrod like Manziel or Haskins, not so much. 

Tannehill absolutely needed a change from Miami. 

Goff is another good example. He was awful before McVay. He'll probably never live up to his draft status, but we've seen him be reasonably successful. We'll have to see how he does in Detroit.

Very true.  If you are not focused on being a professional you will not make it no matter the system or talent around you.

7 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Who knows. 

When you have a RB getting 1500-2000 yards and two rushing titles in a row That Defenses have to account for on every play, let’s just say it opens things up for whoever is passing the ball

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

When you have a RB getting 1500-2000 yards and two rushing titles in a row That Defenses have to account for on every play, let’s just say it opens things up for whoever is passing the ball

Arthur Smith was also one of the best OC's in the NFL.