The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He never said that he'd take less if we got Adams though so how is he breaking his word either way? 

Matt Stafford was one of the highest paid QB's in the league last season and the Rams still won it.

Carr taking $35M is the best case scenario, $37-40M is more likely.

Stafford made 20M last year... the Super Bowl winner is almost always a Rookie QB Contract or a QB on a 25-30% discount. 

2012: Flacco on a Rookie QB Contract

2013: Wilson on a Rookie QB Contract

2014: Tom Brady on his usual big discount

2015: Peyton Manning restructures to take 25% paycut entering the season

2016: Tom Brady on his usual big discount

2017: Wentz on a Rookie QB Contract, Foles on backup money.

2018: Tom Brady on his usual big discount

2019: Mahomes on a Rookie QB Contract

2020: Tom Brady on his usual big discount

2021: Rams break the norm by going "All In" like a baseball team and creating a very narrow window of two years to succeed (which they did). 

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Like if Carr gets $40M instead of $35M, is that $5M, especially considering that the cap is going to sky rocket, really going to be the difference between us winning a Super Bowl or not? @BayRaider lol

I do not know about a SB but an extra $5 added to FA contracts would be the difference between having Hollins and Parker or getting JuJu and Collins.  Or you could just sign Morgan Moses for $5 million.  Everyone wants to act like a few million here or there is not a big deal but it really is.  Overpaying just a couple players each year is enough to sign an extra starter or the difference between an average starter and a top FA.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Stafford made 20M last year... the Super Bowl winner is almost always a Rookie QB Contract or a QB on a 25-30% discount. 

2012: Flacco on a Rookie QB Contract

2013: Wilson on a Rookie QB Contract

2014: Tom Brady on his usual big discount

2015: Peyton Manning restructures to take 25% paycut entering the season

2016: Tom Brady on his usual big discount

2017: Wentz on a Rookie QB Contract, Foles on backup money.

2018: Tom Brady on his usual big discount

2019: Mahomes on a Rookie QB Contract

2020: Tom Brady on his usual big discount

2021: Rams break the norm by going "All In" like a baseball team and creating a very narrow window of two years to succeed (which they did). 

So based on that information only the Chargers, Buccaneers, Bengals, Cardinals, and Ravens have a legitimate chance at a Super Bowl. Everyone else has already paid their QBs, lol. Should just trade Carr, trade Adams, and rebuild like you suggested earlier this month.

Just now, drfrey13 said:

I do not know about a SB but an extra $5 added to FA contracts would be the difference between having Hollins and Parker or getting JuJu and Collins.  Or you could just sign Morgan Moses for $5 million.  Everyone wants to act like a few million here or there is not a big deal but it really is.  Overpaying just a couple players each year is enough to sign an extra starter or the difference between an average starter and a top FA.  

We had the cap space to sign Morgan Moses or JuJu but didn't pursue either player. Good teams are built through the draft, not free agency. It's just comical to think that the reason we aren't going to potentially be a contender is based on a few million that Carr does or doesn't get.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

So based on that information only the Chargers, Buccaneers, Bengals, Cardinals, and Ravens have a legitimate chance at a Super Bowl. Everyone else has already paid their QBs, lol. Should just trade Carr, trade Adams, and rebuild like you suggested earlier this month.

And put some money down on those 5 teams to win the SB this year.

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

A nice frustrated response to my post because it couldn't be countered, lol. (see I used your trademarked ",lol" that you use at the end of everything like a chump). 

Also there is other QB's on a discount. Cousins is one of them. Even 35M is a decent discount. But anything above 35M is not gonna win the Super Bowl looking at the 25% discount pattern. 

You basically forgot the 49ers, Vikings, Broncos (Wilson is only making 24M), and Dolphins/Patriots (longshots). 

Basically teams that could win the Super Bowl this year following the QB salary pattern over the past 11 years: Chargers, Bucs, Bengals, Cardinals, Rams, Ravens, 49ers, Broncos, and longshots: Dolphins/Patriots. 

Rams are still in it because they sold their soul for a two year window. Which is why I said "break the norm". 

Edited by BayRaider

Just now, NYRaider said:

We had the cap space to sign Morgan Moses or JuJu but didn't pursue either player. Good teams are built through the draft, not free agency. It's just comical to think that the reason we aren't going to potentially be a contender is based on a few million that Carr does or doesn't get.

You do realize we just spent $50 million in FA and gave another player $20+ million a year in a trade by giving away our 2 top picks this year.  We are doing exactly what you say is not the right way.  Moses and JuJu are exactly the type of FA players you want to go after in FA.  Do you think the talent level between the 4 players is worth $5 million or would you rather just cave to what Carr wants and show the rest of the players in the league you will give in?

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

A nice frustrated response to my post because it couldn't be countered, lol. (see I used your trademarked ",lol" that you use at the end of everything like a chump). 

Also there is other QB's on a discount. Cousins is one of them. Even 35M is a decent discount. But anything above 35M is not gonna win the Super Bowl. 

You basically forgot the 49ers, Vikings, Broncos (Wilson is only making 24M), and Dolphins/Patriots (longshots). 

Basically teams that could win the Super Bowl this year following the QB salary pattern over the past 11 years: Chargers, Bucs, Bengals, Cardinals, Rams, Ravens, 49ers, Broncos, and longshots: Dolphins/Patriots. 

Rams are still in it because they sold their soul for a two year window. Which is why I said "break the norm". 

I thought you said it had to be a major discount or a rookie deal, lol. 

How does Carr's extension impact us this season, if anything wouldn't it open up more cap space? And is the fact that Russell Wilson is making $24M help the Broncos become major players in free agency? No they lost draft capital going after him, lol. Between Jimmy/Trey the 49ers are at the $35M threshold. 

So what would you do then? Trade Carr and pray we can find someone else?

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Carr is going to get paid, just time for everyone to accept it.

If Carr gets $50 a year should I just except it and not criticize the team?  Carr is going to get a new contract eventually but there is a point where the team would be stupid to do it and a point where it is a good deal.  To act like giving an extra $% a year to a player because I do not want to worry about it would make me a horrible negotiator.  If that is how Zeigler and McDaniels are going to run the organization then it is going to blow up in our face in the long run.

3 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

You do realize we just spent $50 million in FA and gave another player $20+ million a year in a trade by giving away our 2 top picks this year.  We are doing exactly what you say is not the right way.  Moses and JuJu are exactly the type of FA players you want to go after in FA.  Do you think the talent level between the 4 players is worth $5 million or would you rather just cave to what Carr wants and show the rest of the players in the league you will give in?

Yes good teams aren't built through free agency which is why the teams that regularly spend the most are typically bottom feeders. Outside of Adams who is the best WR in the NFL we only signed one other big ticket free agent. We are also under weird circumstances because we had a ton of roster turnover and are switching regimes. 

We could've signed JuJu and Morgan Moses and still had cap space to spare but chose not to go after either player, lol.

2 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

If Carr gets $50 a year should I just except it and not criticize the team?  Carr is going to get a new contract eventually but there is a point where the team would be stupid to do it and a point where it is a good deal.  To act like giving an extra $% a year to a player because I do not want to worry about it would make me a horrible negotiator.  If that is how Zeigler and McDaniels are going to run the organization then it is going to blow up in our face in the long run.

Obviously you shouldn't vastly overpay him but he's going to get at least $35M a year. When we signed him to his last extension it was the biggest contract in NFL history and it looks like a bargain just a few years later, that's how the NFL works now with the cap always expanding, lol.

2 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

JuJu and Moses signed deals on March 20 and 16 respectively. We didn't target them. So why even bring them up?

Because those two would've won us the Super Bowl but we had to save that money for Carr's hypothetical extension.