The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

15 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Totally disingenuous. So only OCs of great teams are good? That is ignorant at the minimum.

McDaniels wasn't signing the players, he just had to make them work and if you watched them play rather than just looking at stats, he made as good a job as he could with what he had. Anathema to some here but IMO good coaching is getting the most out of sometimes bad players and if you watched the adjustments he made, how they varied play, covered their weaknesses it was very impressive to me. He did as good a job he could with virtually no tools. Most coaches can succeed with a team stacked with talent. And Newton is totally washed up at this point, that's why he's not with a team. That is the crux of my argument, McDaniels helped Cam and the Pats even though Newton was completely shot. If Kaep has anything left, McDaniels will be able to use it.

The other point is that you can carry 3 QBs and it's an interesting wrinkle to be able to put a guy in who offers something different in some packages, aka Mariota. The other guy can be the pocket passer. As I said before, if Carr goes down for any length of time we're screwed anyway so I can see McDaniels being able to use Kaep. I can understand if you don't like Kaep or don't think he'll be any good, fair enough. If he is, then McDaniels can use him is my position and it's worth at least a look. The distraction I have admitted could be an issue. 

Did I say that? His offensive system was significantly worse with Newton than it was with Jones because Jones had the skill-set needed to run it. 

I just don't think he really brings more to the table then the two backups we already have on the roster. And considering the media circus that would come with him being on the team, I just don't see how it benefits us.

56 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I wanted us to draft him I think the small hands scared teams away

I looked him up yesterday on twitter and he's still a free agent. He isn't a blue chip prospect or anything, but he deserves a shot to compete in training camp. I'm also surprised Zerrick Cooper, Levi Lewis are still unsigned. All 3 should have a shot to compete in training camp. I could see potential backup roles for them. I wouldn't mind if we brought in one more QB on the cheap 

14 minutes ago, SimonGruber said:

In all honesty if I was Mark Davis I’d consider signing  him and watch the media fall over themselves to call him brave and progressive. Boom all the negative pub around the suits in HQ maybe is forgotten in theory 

I think thats the reason Mark brought Kap in for the workout. 

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

I looked him up yesterday on twitter and he's still a free agent. He isn't a blue chip prospect or anything, but he deserves a shot to compete in training camp. I'm also surprised Zerrick Cooper, Levi Lewis are still unsigned. All 3 should have a shot to compete in training camp. I could see potential backup roles for them. I wouldn't mind if we brought in one more QB on the cheap 

Stidham is what he is and probably an ok long term backup. 

Garbers is unexciting. 

Mullens is a replaceable 3rd stringer. 

I imagine we keep 3. I'd be totally down to let Garbers, Mullens, and someone else have a genuine battle for QB3. No offense to Mullens, but I'd prefer someone with some potential untapped upside, and Garbers doesn't strike me as that guy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Stidham is what he is and probably an ok long term backup. 

Garbers is unexciting. 

Mullens is a replaceable 3rd stringer. 

I imagine we keep 3. I'd be totally down to let Garbers, Mullens, and someone else have a genuine battle for QB3. No offense to Mullens, but I'd prefer someone with some potential untapped upside, and Garbers doesn't strike me as that guy. 

I think Mullens is going to be the primary backup for us. Obviously not the greatest option but he has played in spot duty before in the 49ers offense so I'm assuming they think he can at least hold down the ship. Stidham was the 3rd string QB behind Hoyer for the Patriots last season, seems like he'll be our new Peterman.

2 hours ago, SimonGruber said:

In all honesty if I was Mark Davis I’d consider signing  him and watch the media fall over themselves to call him brave and progressive. Boom all the negative pub around the suits in HQ maybe is forgotten in theory 

And then add a huge distraction into the locker room for the season?

35 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

And then add a huge distraction into the locker room for the season?

That’s up to him my friend im personally not advocating for it. Some of the fan base already thinks things of Carr that isn’t fair imo. That part of the fan base would be very vocal probably want Kaep to take over moment Carr made a mistake lol

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

I think Mullens is going to be the primary backup for us. Obviously not the greatest option but he has played in spot duty before in the 49ers offense so I'm assuming they think he can at least hold down the ship. Stidham was the 3rd string QB behind Hoyer for the Patriots last season, seems like he'll be our new Peterman.

Possibly. 

I hope Stidham can jump Mullens though. He's really just not very good. We're skating on thin ice as is, and if Carr misses a game or two....Mullen I have zero faith whatsoever in. Not that faith in Stidham is much higher....but at least he's not a known commodity. 

Man, what I would give for a Keenum-like backup. 

Just now, ronjon1990 said:

Possibly. 

I hope Stidham can jump Mullens though. He's really just not very good. We're skating on thin ice as is, and if Carr misses a game or two....Mullen I have zero faith whatsoever in. Not that faith in Stidham is much higher....but at least he's not a known commodity. 

Man, what I would give for a Keenum-like backup. 

Stidham couldn't jump Brian Hoyer last year so I'm not sure how likely that is tbh. I wish we would've pursued Nick Foles. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Stidham couldn't jump Brian Hoyer last year so I'm not sure how likely that is tbh. I wish we would've pursued Nick Foles. 

Who knows. 

I don't want to knock someone not beating Hoyer out in New England too much though. Bill has his thing for vet players, sometimes possibly even to the roster's detriment (not that it really matters there). 

Foles would've been fantastic, imo. 

There's a few guys I have my eye on that are buried on other depth charts. Once cuts and practice squads are set, I'd definitely go bargain shopping for a guy with some upside. 

One, for example, is Jack Coan. Went to Indianapolis before they signed Foles. Not a bad move initially, with Ehlinger the only competition ahead of him. Adding Foles was a no-brainer too though, and Coan could find himself the odd many out by default.

He's just one guy, but those are the types I'm watching for at this point. 

Other potential guys I'd watch for include:

Ryan Griffin, TB. Seems to be a QB coach's favorite. Limited talent, but heady. There's a reason he continually sticks on good teams, he's just buried behind better talent. 

The loser of the Keenum-Barkley battle in Buffalo. Doubt they keep 3, and both are high quality backups I'd trust not to embarrass themselves. 

Nobody I can think of currently playing USFL, but that could always change. 

• Like 1