The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

19 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I was actually talking to my homie about who’s gonna be our “distraction” I said josh he said Hobbs 

I think its Jacobs, Ive got a feeling he isnt bought in, and we just invested into the position. I could see him losing bulk carries early in the year.

48 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Jacobs has averaged 280 touches per year for us, lol.

Because the former coaching staff had something to prove after wasting a 1st rounder on him. Know why we signed Bolden and drafted 2 RBs? Because this staff doesn't care about Jacobs. 

Fournette got paid after 2 cheap years and rehabbing his value. He was also viewed as a future All Pro and dominant RB when he was drafted, and expected to be one of the best RBs in the league. 

James Connor dipped into FA as a lightly used and highly efficient RB. 

Jacobs is not like the other two. He was not roundly seen as a future top star RB with All-Pro potential and elite skill set like Fournette. He was just over-drafted by a now-fired regime that clearly couldn't draft. 

Nor is he lightly used like James Connor. Connor toted the rock 532 times in 4 years on a pass happy, winning teams. Jacobs has 732 carries over 3 years. That's a significant amount of wear and tear on a guy who is perpetually knicked up and was never a home run hitter to begin with.  Connor isn't a speedster either, but he's a 230+ pound bruiser with his 4.6 wheels. Jacobs is no faster, but he's smaller and falls over at first contact more often than not. 

Jacobs is more likely looking at Fournette's last 2 prove it deals than equal money. If he cracks 5m/yr, I'll be shocked. 

2 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Fournette got paid after 2 cheap years and rehabbing his value. He was also viewed as a future All Pro and dominant RB when he was drafted, and expected to be one of the best RBs in the league. 

James Connor dipped into FA as a lightly used and highly efficient RB. 

Jacobs is not like the other two. He was not roundly seen as a future top star RB with All-Pro potential and elite skill set like Fournette. He was just over-drafted by a now-fired regime that clearly couldn't draft. 

Nor is he lightly used like James Connor. Connor toted the rock 532 times in 4 years on a pass happy, winning teams. Jacobs has 732 carries over 3 years. That's a significant amount of wear and tear on a guy who is perpetually knicked up and was never a home run hitter to begin with.  Connor isn't a speedster either, but he's a 230+ pound bruiser with his 4.6 wheels. Jacobs is no faster, but he's smaller and falls over at first contact more often than not. 

Jacobs is more likely looking at Fournette's last 2 prove it deals than equal money. If he cracks 5m/yr, I'll be shocked. 

Fournette also had the opportunity to play on one of the most talented offenses in NFL history behind an elite offensive line. 

James Conner looked washed with the Steelers and then averaged 3.7 ypc for the Cardinals last season. He wasn't efficient at all he just got a ton of touches in a good offense and was used in the red zone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BakeSpeaks said:

I think its Jacobs, Ive got a feeling he isnt bought in, and we just invested into the position. I could see him losing bulk carries early in the year.

To a 4th round rookie or Drake who was even less efficient and broke his ankle?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Jacobs is no faster, but he's smaller and falls over at first contact more often than not. 

That likely comes as Jacobs was still able to generate decent yards after contact and for the third season in a row forced 20 or more broken tackles. 

IIRC Jacobs has the third most broken tackles since he came into the NFL...

I honestly still think highly of Jacobs and think he can break out. this is how I rank the top RB in the league 

Tier 1

1. Taylor - broke out last year to be the cream of the crop 

2. Henry - been putting alot of miles and the injury, but his first major injury. See how he bounces back 

3. Cook

4. CMC- injury concerns 

5. J Mixon- finally put it together

6. N Harris - Big Ben was washed and he still did his thing 

tier 2 

7. Swift- I expect him to keep going up 

8. Fournette 

9. Eckeler - I feel like you can't count on him for the entire season, but he is great when he is out there. I also kinda prefer a bigger back 

10- Chubb- a top tier runner but isn't used as a receiver. 

Tier 3 

11. Kamara- I'm not so sure as him as a actually RB, but he is a great pass catching RB

12- A Jones - would like if he was more physical, but he is electric. scores points and creates nightmares for teams 

13- Jacobs- I think that is fair ranking of where he is ranked. He needs to build off his strong end to last year. Finally used in the passing game and finished the year strong. I could see a Joe Mixon type of breakout this year 

Edited by Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Fournette also had the opportunity to play on one of the most talented offenses in NFL history behind an elite offensive line. 

James Conner looked washed with the Steelers and then averaged 3.7 ypc for the Cardinals last season. He wasn't efficient at all he just got a ton of touches in a good offense and was used in the red zone. 

Fournette wound up in that situation, but wasn't paid before he did. He was paid after he did. 

Conner hardly looked washed for the Steelers. Dude took 169 carries for 821 yards and 6 TDs. That's a 4.3 ypc clip. And what he did or didn't do in Arizona is totally irrelevant to his FA value when he was leaving Pittsburgh. 

Both are an apples to oranges comparison with Jacobs. 

35 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Fournette wound up in that situation, but wasn't paid before he did. He was paid after he did. 

Conner hardly looked washed for the Steelers. Dude took 169 carries for 821 yards and 6 TDs. That's a 4.3 ypc clip. And what he did or didn't do in Arizona is totally irrelevant to his FA value when he was leaving Pittsburgh. 

Both are an apples to oranges comparison with Jacobs. 

You're right. Jacobs had bottom 5 run blocking by every metric available. He also is top 5 in broken tackles over his career. Give him a line and he can put up 100 yard games easily. You saw it as a rookie.

• Like 1