The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

28 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

You're right. Jacobs had bottom 5 run blocking by every metric available. He also is top 5 in broken tackles over his career. Give him a line and he can put up 100 yard games easily. You saw it as a rookie.

Watching Jacobs churn out 100 yard games behind one of the best offensive lines in the league was still more painful than a root canal. 

Guys have more impactful 70 yard days than the majority of Jacobs' 100 yarders. Citing the number of 100 yard games is box scouting. He hasn't been very good, he's not explosive, and he's always injured. 

Peyton Hilis looked great once too. Nothing Jacobs has done inspires a ton of confidence going forward. If it had, his 5th year option wouldn't have been declined. Now, if he winds up being more Henry and less Richardson, if we want to keep him, we'd be shelling out the bucks a year sooner for no reason. Why did we get in this situation? Because the GM and HC have little reason to believe Jacobs will be more Henry and less Richardson and are fine letting him go in the off season regardless of the fact they ARE building an OL. Because he hasn't inspired confidence except amongst his fans that he's even worth keeping around. 

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Watching Jacobs churn out 100 yard games behind one of the best offensive lines in the league was still more painful than a root canal. 

He literally carried the offense down the stretch of the season for us when Carr was struggling.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BakeSpeaks said:

What are you predicting his year looks like?

The Patriots gave Damien Harris the majority of their carries until he got hurt and then it was a 60/40 split with Stevenson. But a big reason for that was because Stevenson provides value as a receiver and Harris doesn't. Jacobs showed last season that he can catch the ball out of the backfield and be a 3 down back. 

I'd guess something like 250 carries/1,100 yards/10 TD + 35 receptions/300 yards/1 TD.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Guys have more impactful 70 yard days than the majority of Jacobs' 100 yarders. Citing the number of 100 yard games is box scouting. He hasn't been very good, he's not explosive, and he's always injured. 

Peyton Hilis looked great once too. Nothing Jacobs has done inspires a ton of confidence going forward. If it had, his 5th year option wouldn't have been declined. Now, if he winds up being more Henry and less Richardson, if we want to keep him, we'd be shelling out the bucks a year sooner for no reason. Why did we get in this situation? Because the GM and HC have little reason to believe Jacobs will be more Henry and less Richardson and are fine letting him go in the off season regardless of the fact they ARE building an OL. Because he hasn't inspired confidence except amongst his fans that he's even worth keeping around. 

You found Jacobs rookie year painful to watch? I find it hard to believe many would agree.

You're saying 100 yard games is box score scouting, but you won't acknowledge that the OL was garbage last year. Seems like a clear double standard to me.

He is a good back. Just because he doesn't have great long speed doesn't inherently mean he isn't impactful. He's well rounded and is excellent after contact. He just isn't a flashy player. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

You found Jacobs rookie year painful to watch? I find it hard to believe many would agree.

You're saying 100 yard games is box score scouting, but you won't acknowledge that the OL was garbage last year. Seems like a clear double standard to me.

He is a good back. Just because he doesn't have great long speed doesn't inherently mean he isn't impactful. He's well rounded and is excellent after contact. He just isn't a flashy player. 

I agree that declining his 5th year option was the right move.  He hasn't shown much over his three year career to warrant his 1st round draft selection.  I don't think many can argue that was bad value once again by Grudock. 

Two of his three season he has averaged 4.0 YPC or below.  That type of value can be found much later than the 1st round.  He has shown to be above average at times but he clearly lacks explosiveness and is injury prone.  

We are making the right move by letting him play out his year.  I say run him into the ground and move on.  If he has a monster year and wants 10 million per, good for him but I say let someone else take that contract on, not us.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

First and foremost, he wasn't particularly good the year prior, either. 

More importantly, you specifically said:

"Give him a line and he can put up 100 yard games easily. You saw it as a rookie."

His rookie year. Not last year. That's not how double standards work. Why would I acknowledge the 2021 OL when you cited a line from 2 years and 4 starters ago? 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

He literally carried the offense down the stretch of the season for us when Carr was struggling.

Mike White carried the Jets to a win over the AFC champs and looked like a million bucks doing so. 

Guys get hot. Like White, Jacobs has never been what one would call consistently good. He flashes. As do many guys. I'm not overly impressed. 

Furthermore, "down the stretch" when we played all of 1 top 10 run D and a bunch of below average run D's? Where he averaged 3.94 ypc against the one truly respectable run D we played?  Or 3.47? Certainly not the 2.67 and knocked out of the game performance. 

Edited by ronjon1990

4 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Guys get hot. Like White, Jacobs has never been what one would call consistently good. He flashes. As do many guys. I'm not overly impressed. 

In the three seasons that Jacobs has been in the league he ranks 5th in total rushing yards behind Derrick Henry, Cook, Chubb, and Zeke. He also ranks 4th in rushing TD's behind Henry, Cook, Aaron Jones, and Jonathan Taylor. 

It's not just a flash, there have literally only been a handful of RB's that have produced more than Jacobs since we drafted him.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I agree that declining his 5th year option was the right move.  He hasn't shown much over his three year career to warrant his 1st round draft selection.  I don't think many can argue that was bad value once again by Grudock. 

Two of his three season he has averaged 4.0 YPC or below.  That type of value can be found much later than the 1st round.  He has shown to be above average at times but he clearly lacks explosiveness and is injury prone.  

We are making the right move by letting him play out his year.  I say run him into the ground and move on.  If he has a monster year and wants 10 million per, good for him but I say let someone else take that contract on, not us.  

He has averaged below 4.0 ypc once in his career and is at 4.2 for his career overall. Everyone on here gets a hard on for Mixon but Jacobs has been more productive and efficient than him. As I said above there are only 4 RB's with more rushing yards and 3 RB's with more rushing TD's than Jacobs since we drafted him. How does that not warrant his 1st round draft selection?

5 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

The dude is top 5 in yards/TD since he was drafted, so if he sucks that means there are only 2-3 good RB's in the league because everyone else has been out produced by Jacobs behind a bad OL. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NYRaider said:

He has averaged below 4.0 ypc once in his career and is at 4.2 for his career overall. Everyone on here gets a hard on for Mixon but Jacobs has been more productive and efficient than him. As I said above there are only 4 RB's with more rushing yards and 3 RB's with more rushing TD's than Jacobs since we drafted him. How does that not warrant his 1st round draft selection?

His last two season he has averaged 3.95YPC.  That is not good value in the 1st round no matter how you try to spin it. 3.95 YPC over the last two years can be had much later in the draft....

Watch film for once and tell me that Mixon is not a better back than Jacobs.  Mixon is more explosive and has better hands, those are facts.  Mixon is a true three down back who has been plagued by poor QB play and stacked boxes.  With Burrow, the triplets they have at WR, Mixon will continue to have big season just like he did last year.  Mixon will have another big season barring injury to key players.  

Are you advocating that we pay Jacobs after this season and if so how much would he be worth paying according to you?  You're arguing that he was good value and you clearly have him ranked amongst the best backs in the league according to the stats you've vomited all over everyone.  According to the players you have him ranked up there with (Henry, Cooks, Zeke) you must be advocating that he should be making at least 12 per year going forward.  Is that what you're saying? 

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

3 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

His last two season he has averaged 3.95YPC.  That is not good value in the 1st round no matter how you try to spin it. 3.95 YPC over the last two years can be had much later in the draft....

Watch film for once and tell me that Mixon is not a better back than Jacobs.  Mixon is more explosive and has better hands, those are facts.  Mixon is a true three down back who has been plagued by poor QB play and stacked boxes.  With Burrow and the triplets they have at WR that ended last season and will continue to be the same way this season.  Mixon will have another big season barring injury to key players.  

Are you advocating that we pay Jacobs after this season and if so how much would he be worth paying according to you?  You're arguing that he was good value and you clearly have him ranked amongst the best back in the league according to the stats you've vomited over everyone.  According to the players you have him ranked up there with (Henry, Cooks, Zeke) you must be advocating that he should be making at least 12 per year going forward.  Is that what you're saying? 

The level of absolute denial regarding Jacobs is proof that the Grudock years she'll shocked many fans.

Some folks think he's getting 7m a year 😂

Edited by ronjon1990

2 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

The level of absolute denial regarding Jacobs is proof that the Grudock years she'll shocked many fans.

Some folks think he's getting 7m a year 😂

Exactly.  Our drafting has been so poor fans try to cherry pick stats arguing that average players are amongst the best in the league.  It's pretty bizarre.  

If Jacobs wants to stick around for around 3M per after this season i would be open to that.  Outside of that he can take his sub 4.0YPC and injuries somewhere else.