Round 5, Pick 166: Quintez Cephus

TL-TwoWinsAway

Just now, NFL_Fan said:

you know prince has medical issues and was flagged at the senior bowl. why would we need that? or you just like seeing the top guy on espns board go to Detroit so it looks like a great pick?

He wouldn't be the only one that's drawn to Prince's athletic upside, and I don't think it has anything to do with ESPN's big board. Many sources felt that Prince was a 2nd/3rd round developmental prospect with tons of upside. I wanted him in the 5th.

1 minute ago, NFL_Fan said:

you know prince has medical issues and was flagged at the senior bowl. why would we need that? or you just like seeing the top guy on espns board go to Detroit so it looks like a great pick?

I didn’t know about the medicals.  Dude there is no way I’m watching Espns coverage.  It’s so bad.  And so depressing.  I’m just watching a tracker.

Just now, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

He wouldn't be the only one that's drawn to Prince's athletic upside, and I don't think it has anything to do with ESPN's big board. Many sources felt that Prince was a 2nd/3rd round developmental prospect with tons of upside. I wanted him in the 5th.

yeah...source? ESPN...lol

Its okay there is someone that has the numbers but just not the actual health to get on the field. Rather a TE 

6 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Speaking of OTs with terrible Medicals did Trey Adams get picked?  I think he might go undrafted.  Not sure what the issues are Prince but if he’s not an option I’d take a flyer on Adams.  Could be our #4 OT.  

1 minute ago, NFL_Fan said:

yeah...source? ESPN...lol

Its okay there is someone that has the numbers but just not the actual health to get on the field. Rather a TE 

You need me to find you a source that has Prince Tega Wanogho as a 2nd/3rd round prospect? TDN has him as a 4 star prospect and 77 on their big board. The Game Haus has him in the 2nd/3rd. FantasyPros had him going #125. College Football News put him at #137. Bleacher Report listed his spot at #126.

He went 58th overall in FFMD II '20, a move that was praised by some.

1 minute ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

You need me to find you a source that has Prince Tega Wanogho as a 2nd/3rd round prospect? TDN has him as a 4 star prospect and 77 on their big board. The Game Haus has him in the 2nd/3rd. FantasyPros had him going #125. College Football News put him at #137. Bleacher Report listed his spot at #126.

He went 58th overall in FFMD II '20, a move that was praised by some.

AND then add the injury...and then you get this drop. All im saying is I would not really want an injured guy. sometimess (Jaylon Smith) but not  late O line. I could be wrong 100% 

2 minutes ago, NFL_Fan said:

AND then add the injury...and then you get this drop. All im saying is I would not really want an injured guy. sometimess (Jaylon Smith) but not  late O line. I could be wrong 100% 

If it’s an OT it would be our #4 OT.  This late in the draft I think you definitely take a swing on either upside or injury concern players.  I just have yet to see what the medical concern is on him.  Maybe an ex-girlfriend was murdered and even though he’s not a suspect the police just want to talk to him but they are going to wait a few days, despite the financial implications, before they do.  It happens.

• Like 2

Was really hoping for Quez Watkins at the WR spot. That's who I would have taken to add to the WR corps. This team needs speed, Watkins ran the 2nd best 40 among WR's and shows decent route running. I think Watkins could be a steal, and I like where he ended up, with Philadelphia.

That said, I do like some things about Cephus and I don't dislike the Pick for the most part. Would have preferred a WR with better speed but he shows a good knack for coming up with 50/50 balls, creating space with his strength when the ball is in the air. Could become a solid possession receiver. He'll need to become the best route runner he can to make an impact, because he's not going to get much separation based on speed routes. He's going to have to find ways to get into open areas with his technique. Don't hate the pick, but I don't love it either.

Alright. Additional thoughts on this guy.

I had a chance to watch a video titled Ultimate Quintez Cephus Highlights, expecting to see what I see when I watch other highlight reels: incredible plays. Over this 7:59, I saw maybe two or three that were impressive, and was otherwise underwhelmed.

He's not overly strong and doesn't become the "physical running back" with the ball in his hands that other scouting reports led me to believe. That being said, he isn't afraid of contact, and will fight for an extra few yards... just seemed to rarely win those fights at the college level, calling into question how successful he'll be at that in the NFL. Definitely not fast, with only moderate quickness. Good awareness when going over the middle and braces for contact well. Great at tracking and plucking the ball. Appears to be a decent route-runner.

It's only 8 minutes of footage, and I'm definitely not a scout, so don't take my word for it, but I just don't see him as an outside guy in the NFL. I could see a slot CIT guy that can get off the line and make contested catches, and who occasionally cuts outside for a off-script deep shot, but he'll have to lock down a specific role to stick around in the NFL.

(And, after reading this over, I thought to myself: slot replacement for Amendola?)

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway
  • Like 1