2020 New England Patriots Roster

DoleINGout

New roster rules in 2020: 53 man roster with two players added on game day from the 12 man practice squad.

QB Cam Newton, Brian Hoyer, Brian Lewerke*

RB Sony Michel, Damien HarrisJames White, Rex Burkhead, Lamar Miller, JJ Taylor*

HB Dalton Keene, Rashod Berry, Jakob Johnson*, Jake Burt*

TE Ryan Izzo, Devin Asiasi

WR Julian Edelman, N’Keal Harry, Gunner Olszewski, Damiere Byrd, Jeff Thomas, Andre Baccellia*

LT Isaiah Wynn, Yodney Cajuste

LG Joe Thuney, Justin Herron*

C David Andrews, Hjalte Froholdt

RG Shaq Mason, Michael Onwenu

kRT Jermaine Eluemunor, Korey Cunningham

ST Matthew Slater, Joe Cardona, Jake Bailey, Nick Folk, Justin Bethel, Brandon King

LE Lawrence Guy, Byron Cowart

DT Adam Butler, Beau Allen*, Michael Barnett*

RE Deatrich Wise Jr., Bill Murray*

LB Chase Winovich, Brandon Copeland, Anfernee Jennings

LB Ja’Whaun Bentley, Terez Hall*, De’Jon Harris*

LB Josh Uche, Cassh Maluia

LB Derek Rivers, Shilique Calhoun

CB Stephon Gilmore, Jonathan Jones, D’Angelo Ross*

CB JC Jackson, Jason McCourty, Michael Jackson Sr.*

S Joejuan Williams, Terrence Brooks, Adrian Phillips

S Devin McCourty, Kyle Dugger, Myles Bryant

Edited by DoleINGout

So, a few worries there;

- If Guy gets injured, we are ABSOLUTELY stuffed against the run up the middle. Butler is good, but he's more of a pass rushing DT. I think we needed another huge body in there

- If Edelman goes down, it's perhaps the weakest WR corps in the league, and with a green QB

- Hightower needs to have a healthy season too, because there isn't any experience at MLB behind him. Bentley is the closest, and he's played like 3 games

- RT is a similar story with Cannon

It's good that we addressed TE and edge though

What happened to Jakob Johnson? Is he a FA?

Weakest Pats roster I've ever seen, and not just because of the huge Brady-shaped hole.

Positions of strength: Deep running back group (though White and Burkhead may be worth a lot less without TB). Cannon and Andrews being back full to strength means they have their whole starting line, and they were good in 2018 (again...Brady makes a difference. There's a world of difference between blocking for the Goat and blocking for a skittish first-year starter). Secondary still good, with Phillips a potentially big upgrade on Harmon (although 1 more year wear on the McCourty bros).

Positions of weakness: WR group is bad, and one injury from laughable (we have no idea how good Edelman could be without Brady, though he played well with JG in 2016). TEs still very unproven and raw group (but might be better than last year, thanks to drafting new blood). DL, especially to stop the run, looks fragile.

13 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

the only pick still on the team, as well.

Rivers is, but barely.

13 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Good post.

I'm not sure on Jennings, I need to watch more. I rewatched Alablama vs Michigan though, and Jennings came across inconsistent. There would be series where he was always setting the edge and around the ball, followed by a series where he gets pushed back 8 yards off the ball by the RT. Sometimes when the play wasn't to his side, he'd take the play off, but then sometimes he'd recover and bust a nut getting over there. I'm sure a month under BB will sort him out.

Uche is my favorite pick actually, even though your reservations about his size and time on field is right. When he did play, he had surprising speed and power. The bend is elite too. In that same game mentioned above, he sat Wills down on his A so bad....:D I hope his lack of height doesn't compromise him as an edge rusher, because he has genuine speed to power. 

Uche can play inside as well so he might take over for a majority of Bentley's snap at some point. Definitely expect Uche to rotate on the edge though.

• Like 1

I could see Sony Michel - or really just about any of the backs - getting traded at some point this summah if training camp practices take place. A lot of this trade scenario will hinge on the development of Damien Harris as well as potentially how well the team sees JJ Taylor acclimating to the NFL.

Disclaimer: Michel will also not be dealt if he actually shows improvement, however. I only suggest/mention Michel by name because of his rookie contract being appealing to prospective teams like the Niners and Texans possibly. If the Pats feel very comfortable with their RB depth and like the value of a third or fourth rounder then maybe they'll pursue that possibility.

Edited by DoleINGout

On 4/29/2020 at 12:29 AM, DoleINGout said:

QB Jarrett Stidham, Brian Hoyer

HB Dan Vitale, Dalton Keene

TE Matt LaCosse, Devin Asiasi

WR Damiere Byrd, Jakobi Meyers, Sean Riley

KR Jeff Thomas, Gunner Olszewski

OL Yodney Cajuste, Jermaine Eluemunor, Michael Onwenu, Justin Herron, Korey Cunningham

ST Justin Bethel, Terrence Brooks, Brandon King, Cody Davis

DL Byron CowartDeatrich Wise Jr.

LB Shilique Calhoun, Derek Rivers, Beandon Copeland, Trevon Hill

LB Ja’Whaun Bentley, Josh Uche

LB Cassh Maluia, De’Jon Harris, Kyahva Tezino, Terez Hall

CB Jason McCourty, JC Jackson, Joejaun Williams

S Pat Chung, Adrian Phillips

S Myles Bryant, Adarius Pickett, Malik Gant

Serious battles for important roles and roster spots all over the team this year.

I came across this story on Harry. Interesting.

I am not fan of Harry. IMO He is headed down the path of Patriots bust.  I read this and I am hoping he proves me wrong. I know he was injured however I thought he was horrible. He was slow and got zero separation. He had terrible footwork and he looked like he was running in quick sand.

I hope this helps.

https://www.patspulpit.com/new-england-patriots-social-media-video-podcasts/2020/5/2/21245041/new-england-patriots-wide-receiver-nkeal-harry-training-footwork-king-offseason

Edited by m haynes

On 4/29/2020 at 3:33 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

Guy gets injured, we are ABSOLUTELY stuffed against the run up the middle.

This is what drives me nuts. We take a ST LB and we don't draft Benito Jones.  URFA that we wanted but lost out to the Dolphins.  Side note I really like Byron Cowart. IMO he going to have a impact this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsG7TuvjE-0

URFA  Courtney Wallace.  I look for something, anything to see if there a slim chance.  He powerful and can hold the line. Moves well for a big man.

URFA    DT Bill Murray  IMO doesn't have a chance in hell. To small, stiff and slow. He  has one skill that's will put him on the roaster. He blocks kicks! BB sure loves those SP-ers. o.O

UDFA  Trevon Hill    High football IQ.  He can play.  Here two links. I hate highlights but you can see what does off the snap. I sitting here wondering why he wasn't drafted ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVwIs_RYQnA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbQv8ca6pi0

I know he's listed as a DL however IMO he can play LB, like Big Wille  and Bruschi. That's  position wise , boys :D

Edited by m haynes