2020 New England Patriots Roster

DoleINGout

On 7/26/2020 at 11:22 PM, Deadpulse said:

first round of cuts due to new roster rules amid the pandemic has come

It is a damn shame that circumstance out of everyone's control will make it so these guys dont get a chance. I am particular upset we wont get Hastings or J'mar in camp. 

Wait until the vets across the NFL pull a Cannon and DH. This season is a joke.  I look at it like its a strike year. Fun but who gives a crap.  How's is BB going to know who the starting QB is this year!!! Answer, educated guess ! Hey Cam you look good we haven't seen you play, get in there!

This part of the game I pretty much have no glue.

Cap and rules with Corona. Can the Pats release the players that opt out.  What happens with the cap with them out.   If I was running the Pats I would cut Cannon, Hightower and Chong.  It has nothing to do with me being peeved. It has to do with age, injury, contract and money. None of the players are the future, they will miss another year. There will be to old by the time they are back playing.  I want the team to rebuild. Get rid of the high priced older players.

Edited by m haynes

1 hour ago, m haynes said:

Cap and rules with Corona. Can the Pats release the players that opt out.  What happens with the cap with them out.   If I was running the Pats I would cut Cannon, Hightower and Chong.  It has nothing to do with me being peeved. It has to do with age, injury, contract and money. None of the players are the future, they will miss another year. There will be to old by the time they are back playing.  I want the team to rebuild. Get rid of the high priced older players.

contracts are basically pushed back a year. They get a 150k or 350k stipend and their cap number comes off the books for a year. No need to cut anybody. 

33 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

contracts are basically pushed back a year. They get a 150k or 350k stipend and their cap number comes off the books for a year. No need to cut anybody. 

Good move to cut them anyway ?

They are in the last year of the contracts. They sit out a year push the contract to following year however they are a year older. What I'm trying to say, I don't see them playing in the future and I want the Pats to maximize the return the best they can.

Also I'm  confused with the overall cap if some play and some don't. I sure the Pats were going to have 100+ mil cap space next year. I don't want there contracts cut into the money we can spend on younger 2021 FA.

6 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Weird that all these older veterans many suspected to be cut due to salary cap concerns are now opting out (Cannon, Hightower, Chung). Best of luck to them but I get the feeling they don't play again for the Pats (not because the Pats are mad at them).

• Like 1

I don't think Hightower was in any danger of getting cut, Chung had restructured his contract to create cap space, and I don't think we would free up any money by cutting Cannon. However, I think Hightower would have been a FA after the season but opting out means that he has another year before he is a FA.

22 hours ago, jofos said:

I don't think Hightower was in any danger of getting cut, Chung had restructured his contract to create cap space, and I don't think we would free up any money by cutting Cannon. However, I think Hightower would have been a FA after the season but opting out means that he has another year before he is a FA.

Hightower is in jeopardy if I am reading this right. Cap hit 2021, 10 mil. He old and injury prone. The team needs to move on, start fresh. Dead cap 0

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/donta-hightower-9835/

Cannon  9.6 mil. 2021 Dead cap 2.4  He's gone.

Low expectations on this season anyway, but damn.

Why are we the team that's seeing by far the most? 

Those who are saying Dont'a was in danger of being cut - you might have a point about the cost and age, but he's still absolutely crucial to our defense. He's the 2nd or 3rd best player on D, IMO, and crucial in run D.

Edited by Hunter2_1

22 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Low expectations on this season anyway, but damn.

Why are we the team that's seeing by far the most? 

Those who are saying Dont'a was in danger of being cut - you might have a point about the cost and age, but he's still absolutely crucial to our defense. He's the 2nd or 3rd best player on D, IMO, and crucial in run D.

He's also the only returning starting LB from last year... or rather he was...