NBA 2k18 Franchise - Grizzlies Need a Rebuild

MKnight82

Player/Team Options

PG Greg Adkins (87) – $8.43 mil – He’s my starting PG.     

PF Jud Stafford (84) - $4.99 mil – He’s probably my best player at the moment.

C Josh George (81) - $3.87 mil – I’m hoping he’ll accept moving back to the bench. 

SG Christopher Fordham (80) - $5.73 mil – With Wally Hayes likely leaving I expect Fordham to start.

SF Lu Yi (80) - $2.68 mil – Good backup.

PF Wendell Houston (79) - $6.90 mil – Has one of the highest potential ratings on my roster.

SF/PF Gurshan Peeler (74) - $1.88 mil – I’m going to tender him for now but he might get cut to make room for a guard on the roster. 

Qualifying Offers

SF Jamaal Elliot (84) – no offer – I have a big longjam at SF, and Elliot has disappointed.      

C Edgar Henderson (79) – no offer – Time to move on.      

PG Roderick Maxwell (78) - $2.67 mil – He’s my backup PG.

SG Wally Hayes (82) - $4.48 mil – I’d like to bring him back since I’m thin at Guard, but I’m not willing to match a big offer if he gets one.

Free Agency

Both Maxwell and Hayes signed with other teams.  I’m going to have to sign a backup PG and SG to the roster. 

Signed PG Walt Richmond to a 2-year, $4.0 mil deal – Good passer, was the 19th pick in the 2021 draft. 

Signed SG Sylvester Monroe to a 2-year, $6.0 mil deal – Decent shooter with good speed, 16th pick in 2020. 

Signed PG Don Stanley to a 2-year, $4.0 mil deal – another guard in case someone gets hurt, 26th pick in 2021.    

Major Contract Signings:

SF Lebron James – Cavaliers – 1 year, $34.09 mil

SG Klay Thompson – Warriors – 5 years, $200.98 mil

PG D’Angelo Russell – Nets – 5 years, $186.70 mil

SG Gary Harris – Pistons – 5 years, $180.24 mil

PG Dejounte Murray – Spurs – 5 years, $178.06 mil

SF Odell Shepard – Pacers – 5 years, $142.91 mil

PF Ivan Rabb – Lakers – 5 years, $148.69 mil (lol what)

PF Blake Griffin – Clippers – 3 years, $112.52 mil

PF Kristaps Porzingis – Timberwolves – 4 years, $124.42 mil (woah KAT and Zinger?)

PG Freddie Staples – Raptors – 4 years, $111.47 mil

SF Otto Porter – Suns – 5 years, $183.84 mil

SF Jae Crowder – Pistons – 4 years, $105.53 mil

C Tristan Thompson – Cavaliers – 5 years, $201.66 mil (lol why?)

SG Evan Fournier – Kings – 5 years, $149.35 mil (yikes)

C Jonas Valanciunas – Raptors – 5 years, $103.49 mil

SG James Harden – Hornets – 4 years, $151.58 mil (wow big signing for Charlotte)

PG Dennis Smith – Mavericks – 4 years, $116.18 mil

C Clint Capela – Rockets – 5 years, $180.05 mli (shouldn’t they have given this to Harden instead)

SF Jamaal Elliot – Knicks – 1 year, $19.51 mil (good luck to him)

Opening Day Roster - Year 7
Position Name OVR Age Years Remaining Current Annual Salary (mil)
PG Greg Adkins 89 25 1 $8.43
SG Christopher Fordham 79 27 1 $5.73
SF Lu Yi 82 22 2 $2.68
PF Jud Stafford 86 23 2 $4.99
C Wade Bass 78 24 4 $13.40

PG Walt Richmond 78 26 2 $2.00
PG Don Stanley 77 25 2 $2.00
SG Sylvester Monroe 76 24 2 $3.00
SF Julian McCaw 82 25 3 $4.31
SF Gurshan Peeler 74 23 2 $1.88
PF Wendell Houston 81 26 1 $6.90
PF Joe Payton 77 22 2 $1.00
PF Oscar Geiger 72 21 3 $1.91
C Josh George 82 25 1 $3.87
C Peter Lowry 70 23 4 $1.56

I can't tell if this is a decent roster or not (I thought last year's roster was).  Adkins is a better PG than Carpenter was, and Yi made a big jump in the offseason.  He's a stellar perimeter defender and should help my starting unit.  SF McCaw will be my 6th man and primary scorer with the 2nd unit.  SG Fordham moves into the starting lineup for the first time, and I didn't take Bass #1 overall to not start him.  I have 4 new starters from the opening day roster last year.  

Top 25 Players in the League - Year 7
Rank Position Name Team OVR Age
1 SF Jackson Baldwin Hawks 99 25
2 PG Sagana Enyeama Kings 97 24
3 SF Giannis Antetokounmpo Bucks 97 28
4 PF Anthony Davis Pelicans 97 30
5 SF Kevin Durant Bulls 96 35
6 SF Lebron James Cavaliers 96 38
7 C Mirko Petrovic Hawks 96 25
8 PG Freddie Staples Raptors 95 26
9 SG James Harden Hornets 95 34
10 C Karl-Anthony Towns Timberwolves 94 27
11 PG Markelle Fultz 76ers 94 25
12 SF Kawhi Leonard Spurs 94 32
13 PG Russell Westbrook Thunder 94 34
14 PG Kyrie Irving Spurs 93 31
15 PG Lonzo Ball Rockets 93 25
16 PG Damian Lillard Trailblazers 93 33
17 PG D'Angelo Russell Nets 92 27
18 C Nikola Jokic Nuggets 92 28
19 PF Daniel Haston Thunder 92 27
20 C Rudy Gobert Jazz 91 31
21 SF Odell Shepard Pacers 91 25
22 PF Kristaps Porzingis Timberwolves 91 28
23 C Joel Embiid Pistons 91 29
24 SG Jimmy Butler Raptors 91 34
25 SF Josh Jackson Suns 91 26

Contract Extension

SG Christopher Fordham has agreed to a 4-year, $18 mil contract extension with the Grizzlies.  He's a solid prospect who I can now keep around and see how he develops.  This is a pretty reasonable extension amount compared to what some of my other guys have demanded.  

*Major Injury*

Immediately following his contract extension SG Christopher Fordham has cracked a vertebrae in his neck and is out 4 months.  I can't catch a break.  

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:20 AM, MKnight82 said:

I'm thinking about abandoning this league and starting a new one.  Messing with the sliders screwed up the league.  

You should, keep the sliders at default, and waive that no pick in the top 5 rule. Instead of trading around, just keep the picks you get.

34 minutes ago, Breesus mode said:

You should, keep the sliders at default, and waive that no pick in the top 5 rule. Instead of trading around, just keep the picks you get.

Well I was trying to recreate the good experience I had with last year's Nets franchise I did.  That team wasn't full of a ton of top 5 picks.  PF Gene Garrett was the 16th pick,  SG Gary Wesley was picked 7th, and Alain Dupin was 10th.  But I was doing that not by rule but because I didn't have the Nets picks.  There's also some key things that are different this year, or things I forgot:

- The best player that was probably on that Nets team, Center Jerry Swift, was picked #3 overall.  So I had a star player from a top 5 pick on that team. 

- By the time I had started that Nets Franchise my GM level was already over 100, so progression and other boosts were maxed out.  

- I had switched later on to limiting myself to only taking guys out of the top 10 (or 5) because the league regressed so much in last year's game (and the previous years before that).  They seemed to have fixed that with improved draft classes, and I only made it worse by changing the regression for aging players sliders.  If I had taken this Grizzlies team I just built and plopped them into 2k17 they would likely make the playoffs.  

- I started the league before they made some key patches to the game.  There were some major issues with free agency that were still occurring in my Franchise which they claim to have fixed.   Players either were signing max contracts or 1- year deals for near minimum.  There was really no in-between.  Also, some players refused to ever sign with anyone, like Kyrie Irving had not signed in FA for like 4 years in a row and was still shown as a FA after the official FA period had ended.  He would then end up signing with someone during the first week of the season for like a 1-year $10 mil deal.  That can cause chaos in the power rankings in a conference when a 90+ OVR player keeps jumping teams every year.  

- Which brings me to my next point which is somewhat related.  The league was way too unpredictable with huge changes and swings of what teams were good or bad each season.  Its because teams were so capped out signing these max contracts that they would lose other star players, who would then sign these weird 1-year deals and bounce around the league each year.  So there was no natural progression of talent being done by most teams, just whoever won the lottery on 1-year FA contracts that year.  The point of me running these long simmed leagues is to see how the league progresses organically over time.  But this year's unpatched version seems somewhat broken in that regard.  

- Then there's the scripted first year's draft.  If I'm going to stick with MyGM (which I prefer) I'm stuck having this first scripted draft which is way too overpowered.  

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Well I was trying to recreate the good experience I had with last year's Nets franchise I did.  That team wasn't full of a ton of top 5 picks.  PF Gene Garrett was the 16th pick,  SG Gary Wesley was picked 7th, and Alain Dupin was 10th.  But I was doing that not by rule but because I didn't have the Nets picks.  There's also some key things that are different this year, or things I forgot:

- The best player that was probably on that Nets team, Center Jerry Swift, was picked #3 overall.  So I had a star player from a top 5 pick on that team. 

- By the time I had started that Nets Franchise my GM level was already over 100, so progression and other boosts were maxed out.  

- I had switched later on to limiting myself to only taking guys out of the top 10 (or 5) because the league regressed so much in last year's game (and the previous years before that).  They seemed to have fixed that with improved draft classes, and I only made it worse by changing the regression for aging players sliders.  If I had taken this Grizzlies team I just built and plopped them into 2k17 they would likely make the playoffs.  

- I started the league before they made some key patches to the game.  There were some major issues with free agency that were still occurring in my Franchise which they claim to have fixed.   Players either were signing max contracts or 1- year deals for near minimum.  There was really no in-between.  Also, some players refused to ever sign with anyone, like Kyrie Irving had not signed in FA for like 4 years in a row and was still shown as a FA after the official FA period had ended.  He would then end up signing with someone during the first week of the season for like a 1-year $10 mil deal.  That can cause chaos in the power rankings in a conference when a 90+ OVR player keeps jumping teams every year.  

- Which brings me to my next point which is somewhat related.  The league was way too unpredictable with huge changes and swings of what teams were good or bad each season.  Its because teams were so capped out signing these max contracts that they would lose other star players, who would then sign these weird 1-year deals and bounce around the league each year.  So there was no natural progression of talent being done by most teams, just whoever won the lottery on 1-year FA contracts that year.  The point of me running these long simmed leagues is to see how the league progresses organically over time.  But this year's unpatched version seems somewhat broken in that regard.  

- Then there's the scripted first year's draft.  If I'm going to stick with MyGM (which I prefer) I'm stuck having this first scripted draft which is way too overpowered.  

Can you edit player or draft classes?  Maybe you can manually make that first class worse?

EDIT:  JBURGE literally said the same thing right above me...

1 hour ago, flyers0909 said:

Can you edit player or draft classes?  Maybe you can manually make that first class worse?

EDIT:  JBURGE literally said the same thing right above me...

I can try.  Lowering the potential rating would probably be the best way to counter act it.

Archived