Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

If Keenum takes a lucrative deal elsewhere, more power to him, I'm fine with the comp pick. Just have to hope that Teddy can be the starter. 

Hopefully Bradford signs a Mike Glennon type deal elsewhere for a comp pick, his agent would have to be real good to pull that one off. 

12 hours ago, Freakish Mind said:

Exactly.  Right now there is no point to start Bridgewater.    You wait for the team to struggle (which hopefully doesn't happen) and then you bring Bridgewater in to be the savior for the season.    You bring Bridgewater in the week and he struggles and we lose, then that goes back to the coach.   You keep Keenum in and he struggles, then the coach says OK, it's time to make the move over to Bridgewater.  The coach looks bad in the first scenario, and does not look bad in the 2nd one.  Risk management....I see Zimmer going with the less risky option for now. 

I doubt that anyone on the coaching staff or front office is thinking in these terms.

The only thing that they should be thinking about right now is winning this year.

Switching QBs in Week 10 is usually a last resort thing you do if your starting QB is hurt or really struggling. Especially when your backup QB is coming off the PUP and has had essentially zero reps in your new offence. Football is a game of timing and repetition. How effective a QB is going to be on the field is directly proportional to the number of reps he has had with the first team offence. Sending Teddy out there now and expecting him to be effective is asking a lot.

7 minutes ago, milanb said:

I doubt that anyone on the coaching staff or front office is thinking in these terms.

The only thing that they should be thinking about right now is winning this year.

Switching QBs in Week 10 is usually a last resort thing you do if your starting QB is hurt or really struggling. Especially when your backup QB is coming off the PUP and has had essentially zero reps in your new offence. Football is a game of timing and repetition. How effective a QB is going to be on the field is directly proportional to the number of reps he has had with the first team offence. Sending Teddy out there now and expecting him to be effective is asking a lot.

You are forgetting one important detail. Teddy is viewed by the front office as the starter, not Keenum. When your starter gets healthy you typically put them back in because they are the better player (Teddy is better than Case).

14 hours ago, Purplexing said:

It should be clear to all that Zimmer is going to start Bridgewater next weekend.  Don't think so?  Here's why:

He seems to favor Bridgewater over other QBs due to his longevity on the roster.  That loyalty works well if the player performs at a high level.  Not so much if the player is average. 

Case Keenum has played well, but made two mistakes at the end of the Wash. game.  It didn't cost the game, but Zimmer can use those two INTs as justification to replace Keenum before Keenum has a chance to repeatedly perform as well as he has been ... or better.  IF Keenum continues to play at a high level, Zimmer has no justification to bench him in favor of TB.  So,  Zimmer is going to do a 'Barney Fife' and nip this thing in the bud.

Bridgewater was just activated, and no one, or not many, know(s) how well he will perform in a game.  Practices can be used to justify starting TB, using that info on both QBs.

It is a home game, where many fans will show support for the QB with more time in Minnesota.  And, the recovery from a serious injury also provides the basis for emotional support.

If one assumes that the reason for the offensive success of the 2017 Vikings is an improved OL and the influence of Shurmur, then TB should be able to step in and play as well as Keenum.  Add to that the continued improvement of Diggs and Thielen, and it is likely any decent QB can perform well as a starter.

This anticipated move by Zimmer has the risk of succeeding greatly, failing miserably, or being somewhere in between in terms of wins and losses.  It is a risk Zimmer is willing to take.  I have to assume he's gotten adequate input from Shurmur.  If not, this could turn out to be another one of those classic Vikings meltdown disasters.  One thing is clear; no one here knows for certain what will happen; i.e. everything I've read on the last 3 pages is speculation without any meaningful justification.  Only practices can be used to make fair judgements on the matter.    

So, anything could happen basically? I'm a bit perplexed.

Zimmer said he'll announce the starter tomorrow. If history shows us anything, its just a light tactic used to provide some confusion for the opponent, but usually the incumbent starts. I expect it to be Keenum.

12 minutes ago, boombap said:

You are forgetting one important detail. Teddy is viewed by the front office as the starter, not Keenum. When your starter gets healthy you typically put them back in because they are the better player (Teddy is better than Case).

I don't believe there has been any confirmed fact that the front office views Bridgewater as the starter.  That may be their hope, but I'm not sure it's necessarily their concrete view at the current time.  It's their job to be objective in that point.    

1 minute ago, disaacs said:

I don't believe there has been any confirmed fact that the front office views Bridgewater as the starter.  That may be their hope, but I'm not sure it's necessarily their concrete view at the current time.  

Just the fact that zimmer has not declared Case the starter permanently shows that they view him as the stop gap. The only other option is Bridgewater. So by default I would say the evidence does show that they view Teddy as the starter (at least optimistically)

1 minute ago, boombap said:

Just the fact that zimmer has not declared Case the starter permanently shows that they view him as the stop gap. The only other option is Bridgewater. So by default I would say the evidence does show that they view Teddy as the starter (at least optimistically)

But that's the difference...Zimmer isn't the front office.

I do believe he's made it fairly evident that he hopes Teddy does earn the starting job back, but even he's aware enough to know that he can't do that right now.  I'll agree that he doesn't necessarily view Keenum as the permanent starter, but I'm not sure he nor anyone can say Teddy is either.  It's just in competition at this point, and as long as Keenum continues to perform well, Teddy will ride the bench.  

12 minutes ago, disaacs said:

But that's the difference...Zimmer isn't the front office.

I do believe he's made it fairly evident that he hopes Teddy does earn the starting job back, but even he's aware enough to know that he can't do that right now.  I'll agree that he doesn't necessarily view Keenum as the permanent starter, but I'm not sure he nor anyone can say Teddy is either.  It's just in competition at this point, and as long as Keenum continues to perform well, Teddy will ride the bench.  

Who will be the QB next year is up to the front office, but who starts the rest of this season is up to Zimmer. So if Zimmer wants Teddy to start at some point, that's who it will be.

6 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

Who will be the QB next year is up to the front office, but who starts the rest of this season is up to Zimmer. So if Zimmer wants Teddy to start at some point, that's who it will be.

Sure he can, but Teddy likely won't, as long as the Vikings are continuing to win.  Right now, you know what you're getting from Case and it's working...it's a 50/50 proposition from Teddy at best...and has the potential to upset the apple cart, never to recover this season.  It could certainly work out too, but I'm enough of a superstitionist to know that you don't try to change it when you may just be halfway up the wave...you continue to ride it.  Zim's a smart man...and I trust him to know that as well.  

I also think there is a very real fear that rollercoaster Case is going to cost us a playoff game. He can't make those mistakes against the eagles or saints if we hope to host a superbowl. I do tho k he starts this week but if he doesn't show he can hang with the NFC elite I think the switch is made so we enter the play-off race with the higher upside QB.

14 minutes ago, disaacs said:

Sure he can, but Teddy likely won't, as long as the Vikings are continuing to win.  Right now, you know what you're getting from Case and it's working...it's a 50/50 proposition from Teddy at best...and has the potential to upset the apple cart, never to recover this season.  It could certainly work out too, but I'm enough of a superstitionist to know that you don't try to change it when you may just be halfway up the wave...you continue to ride it.  Zim's a smart man...and I trust him to know that as well.  

I agree that we most likely won't change QB's while we are winning, but I think also important to note that Zimmer's comments would indicate that he wants to go back to Teddy, so don't be surprised if the leash is short for Case.

1 hour ago, disaacs said:

At the same time, there is a lot more history on Keenum and if the second half of the Redskins game is a sign to come, the hot hand may soon be fading.

In the last three games, Keenum  has 6 Tds and 4 ints and about 260 yds/game. Solid numbers for sure but how "hot" is he really?

How much of a risk is there in Teddy producing a 1.5/1 TD/Int ratio and about 260 per game? Not really asking Teddy to do much if Keenum's recent success is is the barometer.

Archived