Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

Just now, disaacs said:

There's a gigantic difference between reading a playbook and sitting in on team meetings and actually seeing live action.  And plus, you indicated that he's been in the offense longer than Case.  That's not true at all.  

You can learn the offense by reading the playbook, you don't need live action for that. He has been learning the offense longer than Case, I'm not sure what you're disputing.

2 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

You don't know that he isn't. We've seen remarkable recoveries from Vikings players and their work with this training staff.

Yes, I'm sure Sharrif Floyd agrees with that sentiment, as well as Phil Loadholt.  Every player is different.  

5 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

You can learn the offense by reading the playbook, you don't need live action for that. He has been learning the offense longer than Case, I'm not sure what you're disputing.

I can learn how to build a house by reading an instruction manual, but that doesn't mean I'm going to be able to do it well right out of the gate.   

Just now, disaacs said:

I can learn how to build a house by reading an instruction manual, but that doesn't mean I'm going to be able to do it well right out of the gate.   

I would assume it's easier to build a house when you've built one before. It's different for different people though.  I don't think you can just assume Teddy would have a limited playbook.

2 minutes ago, disaacs said:

Yes, I'm sure Sharrif Floyd agrees with that sentiment, as well as Phil Loadholt.  Every player is different.  

Well, I bet if Eric Sugarman had come up with a way to repair Floyd's nerve damage he probably would have. He'd also likely be counting his millions elsewhere. I didn't say that players aren't different, did I?

If Bridgewater has come all the way back from a catastrophic injury, and the Vikings staff is confident that he can go out on the field to play and protect himself, you are saying that there should be doubt about his physical ability? Tell me more about how you know that he's not going to be the same player, and that the Vikings staff is lying to the fan base.

1 minute ago, Worm Guts said:

I would assume it's easier to build a house when you've built one before. It's different for different people though.  I don't think you can just assume Teddy would have a limited playbook.

Exactly. I doubt Bridgewater has forgotten how to play football. 

The only real argument that I am seeing against Bridgewater so far is the chemistry argument. I won't disagree that that means something. The stats, physical limitation, and Case is a better QB arguments to me are all really bad in that they don't deal with nuances/differences in situation. 

7 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Well, I bet if Eric Sugarman had come up with a way to repair Floyd's nerve damage he probably would have. He'd also likely be counting his millions elsewhere. I didn't say that players aren't different, did I?

If Bridgewater has come all the way back from a catastrophic injury, and the Vikings staff is confident that he can go out on the field to play and protect himself, you are saying that there should be doubt about his physical ability? Tell me more about how you know that he's not going to be the same player, and that the Vikings staff is lying to the fan base.

I've never questioned his physical ability.  I have doubts on whether he is going to be just as effective playing as the last time we saw him.  It seems as if some people are thinking he's going to just pick up from where he left off, as if nothing had happened at all. 

For comparison's sake, I was pretty darn good playing video games in my teens all the way up through my 20s...but I really haven't played them all that much in the last decade...I don't think I can just go back immediately and break the high score on Galaga again like I used to.  It doesn't generally work that way.    

4 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

The only real argument that I am seeing against Bridgewater so far is the chemistry argument. I won't disagree that that means something. The stats, physical limitation, and Case is a better QB arguments to me are all really bad in that they don't deal with nuances/differences in situation. 

I think that they do deal with the nuances and differences in situation.  You just don't agree.

7 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

Teddy has had almost no first team reps in this offence. It is asking a lot to expect him to be able to step onto the field and execute more than a handful of basic plays.

This is not a knock on Teddy in any way. It is merely a comment on the degree of difficulty involved.  

1 minute ago, milanb said:

Teddy has had almost no first team reps in this offence. It is asking a lot to expect him to be able to step onto the field and execute more than a handful of basic plays.

This is not a knock on Teddy in any way. It is merely a comment on the degree of difficulty involved.  

I think it's an assumption, that's all. Some players can probably learn a playbook just by looking at it, others need more physical repetition.  I'm sure that having access to the playbook and team meetings help though.  He has to have more plays available to him than Bradford did at the beginning of last year.

1 minute ago, Snake Plissken said:

I think that they do deal with the nuances and differences in situation.  You just don't agree.

Explain how you can properly compare two players from two completely different offenses, with different players and weapons around them?

How do you compare 1 quarterback from an offense that centered around, and catered to a running back who was only effective in power run formations. An offense that focused on 5 and 7 step drop backs with long developing routes, behind a pretty poor offensive line, and who’s best weapon was a rookie wide receiver. To a quarterback who is playing in an offense that is centered around the quarterback, based out of the shotgun formation and quick passes. And an offense that has one of the better offensive lines in the league, two legit #1 options at wide receiver?

6 minutes ago, milanb said:

Neither did Case heading into week 2. Neither did Bradford last year. 

24 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Neither did Case heading into week 2. Neither did Bradford last year. 

But those are "forced" options, aren't they?  In the cases you mention, the coaching staff didn't have any other choice but to play Bradford last year and Case this year.  What we are discussing is what would be a good rationale for starting either Case or Teddy.

I'm willing to bet that Teddy knows every play and every line call, hes very smart and loves the film room and he stayed in Minnesota while he rehabed so he would be prepared for this situation.

I think the only real argument would be chemistry but that doesnt worry me.

Archived