Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

I see no reason to believe that Teddy is the inevitable starter this year. No one is saying it, but I think this is Case's team until there are multiple games in a row the VIkings lose due to Case's play.

We might not see Teddy play this year, and if that's the Case (pun intended), Case has played well enough to a) win the games, b) likely earned a playoff bye c) need 1 playoff road win (at worst) ... to take the chip this year.

9 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I see no reason to believe that Teddy is the inevitable starter this year. No one is saying it, but I think this is Case's team until there are multiple games in a row the VIkings lose due to Case's play.

We might not see Teddy play this year, and if that's the Case (pun intended), Case has played well enough to a) win the games, b) likely earned a playoff bye c) need 1 playoff road win (at worst) ... to take the chip this year.

I think it's Case's job to lose, but I also think the leash is much shorter than that.  Zimmer wants to start Teddy, all he needs is a reason.

Gus Frerotte: “We all know that Case Keenum isn’t going to be the guy that’s going to be there for a long, long time, Case knows that, Teddy knows that. You have to go with the hand that’s hot, you have to get people involved and a support system is what Case needs right now. If he can go win a lot of games for you, then why not have him do that?”

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/11/former-vikings-qb-gus-frerotte-case-keenums-shoes-lot-fun-along-way/

Case Keenum is playing the QB position better than the Vikings have had anyone play QB since '09. It is too bad that he isn't a great thrower. Of course, given a choice between a great thrower and a good QB, I take a good QB every time. Bridgewater and Bradford can both throw better than Keenum, but neither of them have ever played QB for half a season as well as Keenum has played this year.

19 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Forget benching Keenum this year, the real question is if Keenum should be the projected starter for next year. 

If I had to choose between giving either Keenum or Teddy $10M+/year to keep them as a starter, I'd choose Chase.

We better be drafting a QB in the 1st or 2nd round if we pick Keenum as a starter and let Teddy Walk.

There have been few times where a mid-round back up supplants a high rd QB and never gives up the job.     If Keenum were to win the SB, what do the Vikes do then?    Between the play calling, O-line protection and his execution, he could be this Yeats Trent Dilfer or Brad Jonhson.   Would he, could he be a Tom Brady or Drew Brees?

I really don't know what they should, other than keep getting Teddy practice reps, and keep Bradford rehabbing.    Say Keenum gets hurt?   And Teddy finishes the season strong, leading the team to the NFC championship game where he gets hurt.  Would you not want Bradford as a healthy back up then?  Would you carry those 3 on the roster if the Vikes are in the playoffs?

47 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Forget benching Keenum this year, the real question is if Keenum should be the projected starter for next year. 

If I had to choose between giving either Keenum or Teddy $10M+/year to keep them as a starter, I'd choose Chase.

I don't know if Keenum is a long term solution at QB, but I really like his intangibles.

He plays the position with a lot of heart and desire, and the team seems to rally around him.

Watching the game today, I can't help but think Case, while playing well, is a product of the system.  To his credit, he's taking advantage of the situations but his inaccuracy becomes more and more evident each game. While not missing by much, the ball placement is killing potential yac.  I can't help but wonder if Teddy could take the offense to the next level. 

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

I’m not ready to go there yet,  Case does have a history and it doesn’t suggest that he’s a long term starter. That being said, if Case takes the Vikings on a deep playoff run it would be hard to let him go.

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

I would as well. Is there a deadline for extensions, cause I'm hoping we can extend him.

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

We better be drafting a QB in the 1st or 2nd round if we pick Keenum as a starter and let Teddy Walk.

I've been thinking this might be the outcome. And collect compensatory picks for both Teddy and Bradford for 1 year contracts they might eventually sign.

36 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

There have been few times where a mid-round back up supplants a high rd QB and never gives up the job.     If Keenum were to win the SB, what do the Vikes do then?    Between the play calling, O-line protection and his execution, he could be this Yeats Trent Dilfer or Brad Jonhson.   Would he, could he be a Tom Brady or Drew Brees?

I really don't know what they should, other than keep getting Teddy practice reps, and keep Bradford rehabbing.    Say Keenum gets hurt?   And Teddy finishes the season strong, leading the team to the NFC championship game where he gets hurt.  Would you not want Bradford as a healthy back up then?  Would you carry those 3 on the roster if the Vikes are in the playoffs?

If Bradford is "ready to go" for NFC championship time, I would definitely have him on the roster. 

Archived