Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

3 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

The last time Bridgewater took a snap really isn’t relevant to his ceiling.I think the reason for most who want to keep Bridgewater is because they think he has a higher ceiling.

And the fact someone else is willing to pay Keenum doesn’t speak to whether its the best movie for us.

It's would be an unnecessarily risk for Rick Speilman. 

2 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

When your in win now mode, as long as you're keeping your stud players, if you can fit the possible 1 year contract for Case, you do it.

Unnecessarily introducing risk

Based on an unsubstantiatible outlier year in a below average career?

So Teddy wasn't all that good to begin with (paraphrasing your words) and while Keenum is having a career year that basically lines up with Bridgewater statistically, there should be an argument to franchise Keenum...

That is just illogical. I still fail to see how Keenum is playing well enough to be in the conversation to keep his starting spot any longer than is necessary. It would be one thing if he was doing this as a 23-24 year old and learning how to play in the NFL, but he's not going to get any better physically and is still showing all of the things that have made him a back up on a weekly basis.

6 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

If you're brining him back as a backup, sure.

It'd be a great move imo, Case has proven more than anything that he's the perfect backup for this team.

If Case starts the rest of the games and does well into the playoffs. He is likely the starter on this team, if we retain him. Case is getting a starting gig somewhere next year & the money will be there. 

If it's not us, we've just introduced risk. Management is typically risk adverse for the QB position, it's not a hard decision really.

31 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

It's would be an unnecessarily risk for Rick Speilman. 

I think if you're confident in Teddy's health, he's the guy you choose.

Case is playing well but far from elite, not much better than Teddy the last season before he was hurt. So at worst I think they are close to interchangeable and at best Teddy reaches the hopes we had when drafted him.

And of course that is still very dependent on what the Vikings feel about his physical abilities after the injury.

One thing about Case is I feel people are only looking at the end result in the box score. That play that Rudolph broke up isn't any different than a regular incompletion, rather than a potential INT. The play that Thielen made an amazing catch on is seen as a 23-yard completion and not a potential 49-yard TD if thrown better.

He's making enough plays to win games and to keep his job in the short term, but not making enough plays to where a staff should feel confident enough in him to be the new franchise quarterback.

2 minutes ago, Klomp said:

One thing about Case is I feel people are only looking at the end result in the box score. That play that Rudolph broke up isn't any different than a regular incompletion, rather than a potential INT. The play that Thielen made an amazing catch on is seen as a 23-yard completion and not a potential 49-yard TD if thrown better.

He's making enough plays to win games and to keep his job in the short term, but not making enough plays to where a staff should feel confident enough in him to be the new franchise quarterback.

Thank you for saying this so well. I tried to say this earlier, but did a poor job.

10 minutes ago, Klomp said:

You're trying to fix something that isn't broken.  You've pointed out 2 imperfect throws in the course of a game.  Name a QB who's always been on target, or never had a near INT in any game. 

I don't wonder why I see this type of criticism in the era of Fantasy Football, where player's success takes precedence over team success.  When you think about it, some folks behavior isn't perplexing after all.

Archived