Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

12 minutes ago, Klomp said:

So what do you do if after making that proclamation he comes out and loses the next two games and throws 4 INTs in the process? Still confident in him? Still earned that spot for the rest of the season?

Going week to week hasn't affected his play, so why the need for a big proclamation?

The game can change in an instant.  Any QB in the league could be benched after a few bad games in a row.    But as the head coach, you need to show the current QB that you have all the confidence in the world in him if he is your QB going forward.    If he has a few bad games in a row, then yes...you pull him and say it's Teddy time.  But you don't cross that BRIDGE until you have too.     You don't give him that backing, then you act like you are just waiting for him to fail. (like a lot of guys here are doing)

First quote was a question about Teddy and the "plans change" comment last week. Second was from a follow-up about plays like the Rudolph PBU.

Mike Zimmer: "It's gonna be hard to yank him outta there right now. He's playing good. I still have really high hopes for Teddy. A lot of things happen throughout the course of the season, so we'll just see how it goes."

"He's got a horseshoe right now."

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Zimmer-The-Players-Played-Their-Butts-Off/355384f5-9ae2-4edc-b952-0aca75294ba4

7 hours ago, Klomp said:

He's making enough plays to win games and to keep his job in the short term, but not making enough plays to where a staff should feel confident enough in him to be the new franchise quarterback.

The argument is if he continues his current level of play in this offense, on this team for the whole season and thru the playoffs to nfccg\SB. He is very likely the QB for next season & will get a contract depicting intensions to start.

I don't think there need to be an announcement that Case is the starter for the whole year, but he likely is and will be. Teddy may not take a meaningful snap in Minny this season (or if we're locked into a spot for week 17) or again.

6 hours ago, Klomp said:

Which means he's the starter at least until he messes up. Then it can be reevaluated. Just like we've said, and now you have coach's confirmation. So what's the problem again?

What coach confirmation? 

Zimmer on the Teddy plan

"Well plans changes"

"High hopes for Teddy"

Zimmer on Case

"Made nice plays with his feet & arm"

"Gonna be hard to yank him"

7 hours ago, Freakish Mind said:

The game can change in an instant.  Any QB in the league could be benched after a few bad games in a row.    But as the head coach, you need to show the current QB that you have all the confidence in the world in him if he is your QB going forward.    If he has a few bad games in a row, then yes...you pull him and say it's Teddy time.  But you don't cross that BRIDGE until you have too.     You don't give him that backing, then you act like you are just waiting for him to fail. (like a lot of guys here are doing)

Agreed.  Hence my earlier comments, which I hate to keep repeating, that some fans don't seem to want to enjoy a good thing, and want to fix something that ain't broke.  There are several people who show a bias toward a change, immediately, and for the long term.  I've seen this before here, and it shows that some fans don't have all the info on players, and are unwilling to wait for players to develop or pull out of a slump; i.e. are fickle.  Examples of this in recent years have been Brian Robison, Chad Greenway, Marcus Sherels, Jarius Wright, Jerrick McKinnon, and now, Bradford and Keenum.  Also, think what would have happened if Spielman / Zimmer abandoned Thielen, Griffen, and Hunter after their rookie year because they didn't produce immediately.  IOW, Chill!

Sigh... more of the same judgmental crap. Calling people fickle for noticing tendencies that have gotten a player benched in the past is rude. Poke holes in the argument. Who made you the arbiter of proper fandom? 

If we can't talk about things that haven't happened yet, even when there are signs suggesting that they might, what are we even doing here? A forum is a place to speculate and discuss.

Let me reiterate: I think Keenum has been everything that anyone could want a back up to be. I also see the same shaky accuracy and limited arm strength that has gotten him in trouble and benched before. I've seen it in every game. For these reasons I don't think that he can be viewed as a long term starter, and I don't believe that he can continue to show those  tendencies in every game and take the Vikings on a deep playoff run. I admire that job that he has done, but do not believe that it is sustainable. Rewatch the games if you need supporting evidence. Don't go look at box scores, but watch the way that he makes his throws.

2 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

The argument is if he continues his current level of play in this offense, on this team for the whole season and thru the playoffs to nfccg\SB. He is very likely the QB for next season & will get a contract depicting intensions to start.

I don't think there need to be an announcement that Case is the starter for the whole year, but he likely is and will be. Teddy may not take a meaningful snap in Minny this season (or if we're locked into a spot for week 17) or again.

I don't believe his current level of play locks him in as 2018 starter, no.

So, Keenum leads the Vikings to a touchdown and a field goal in the first 2-3 drives against Detroit, gets hit and is taken out of the game per the concussion protocol. Teddy comes in and plays great, throws 2 touchdowns, has the offense moving, etc. 

Assume Case is cleared from the concussion protocol, what do you do heading into Atlanta?

Just now, CriminalMind said:

I didn't say "lock" ... I said very likely ... and I said if he continues playing this way.

I don't think he's "very likely" the  QB either.

And I know you said that. My point is I believe he'd have to elevate his play even more.

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

So, Keenum leads the Vikings to a touchdown and a field goal in the first 2-3 drives against Detroit, gets hit and is taken out of the game per the concussion protocol. Teddy comes in and plays great, throws 2 touchdowns, has the offense moving, etc. 

Assume Case is cleared from the concussion protocol, what do you do heading into Atlanta?

Who cares about this scenario? ... how about.. Teddy slips on the practice field and gets a concussion, is Sloter your backup QB in Atlanta.

7 minutes ago, Klomp said:

I don't think he's "very likely" the  QB either.

And I know you said that. My point is I believe he'd have to elevate his play even more.

My point is, if he continues his level of play ... he is ahead of Teddy entering the offseason.

Case would be the Vikings top priority entering the offseason.

If we retained Case as the starter (whatever price but it would qualify for "starters money"), I think Teddy would look for a fresh start as a starter somewhere else (probably a bottom team who needs a bridge starter for a year)

I actually think Zimmer is handling this situation like an experienced coach should.  He's keeping both quarterbacks motivated and the unvoiced expectation that the two of them conduct themselves like professionals, in what can possibly be a fluid situation. 

Archived