Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

6 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

I assumed before opening this thread that there would be a few people wanting to fix something that ain't broke.  Sigh.

Let's give credit to Shurmur, Diggs, Thielen, the improved OL, Cook, etc. for the success of the two QBs this year.  But if they falter, blame the QBs, not Shurmur, et al. O.o

I think we'll assess where the blame falls when and if that happens, don't just make a blanket statement

2 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Only issue with that is if "Our time is now", then it is hard to see us go into next year with Keenum and a Rookie unless somehow we would win a Superbowl this year. Big somehow.

If Keenum "somehow" leads us into a deep playoff run or Superbowl than there is no chance he see's 10M/yr and honestly 15-20M/yr is more realistic with the contracts you see QB's are getting and expected cap rises year by year.

He will be around that same price range as Andy Dalton, Ryan Tannehill, Alex Smith, and heck even Mike Glennon got $15M/yr for rarely playing.

I'd rather go into next year with the unknown of Bridgewater than to pay Keenum that much.

1 minute ago, Dolmonite26 said:

I think we'll assess where the blame falls when and if that happens, don't just make a blanket statement

My statement is accurate, as there are various posts which are critical because, it seems, the offense didn't play with perfection.  Name one team whose offense and/ or QB  and / or WRs play error free games.

1 minute ago, Klomp said:

I'd rather go into next year with the unknown of Bridgewater than to pay Keenum that much.

That doesn't really make any sense, if Case takes us into the final 4.

That salary is not precluding us from retaining any of our stud. All that would accomplish is losing a QB playing great and getting an unknown QB.

Your basically lowering our floor and ceiling at the same time & gaining nothing.

3 minutes ago, Klomp said:

How much do you think Spielman would offer each QB on the current roster, and, specifically why would Keenum get the offer you expect from Spielman?

2 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Agreed. With the turns we’ve seen in the careers of Bradford and Keenum under Shurmur, I’m very excited to see what Shurmur can do with Bridgewater. 

I find it interesting that so many Vikings fans (here and elsewhere) that are praising Keenum are also calling Teddy just a game manager.

The praise for Keenum is deserved but statistically he is about the same or worse in most categorizes as Teddy's career averages.  The two notable areas where he is better are 1) variant (TD%) and 2) non predictive (QBR).  They are all also career highs, some by a significant margin.

He is also far worse than Teddy in some categories, notably, in 3rd and long YPA and comp%.

Yet many make out as tho he is just playing lights out.

2 hours ago, ArcticNorseman said:

Between the play calling, O-line protection and his execution, he could be this Yeats Trent Dilfer or Brad Jonhson.   Would he, could he be a Tom Brady or Drew Brees?

When Dilfer won the Super Bowl, he wasn't on the Ravens the next year. Signed in Seattle on one-year deal as backup.

Johnson was signed in Tampa to be the starter. The year after the SB win, they went 7-9, and started the year 0-4 the next year before he got benched.

5 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

That salary is not precluding us from retaining any of our stud. All that would accomplish is losing a QB playing great and getting an unknown QB.

Your basically lowering our floor and ceiling at the same time & gaining nothing.

By what measure is he playing great?  His PFF rating is right in line with his career average, which is subsequently average.

7 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

But that's the difference. You're saying "if Case takes us to the final 4". I don't really think this winning streak is because of Case.

I don't see a change as lowering our floor or ceiling because I don't think you need amazing play from the QB position. Look at what Case is doing. It's middle of the road, at best, yet our team is in the discussion as an NFC favorite.

The surrounding pieces are what makes this team great more than the QB position, at this point.

6 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I’m not sure why you think that is lowering our ceiling. I’m not even sure it’s lowering our floor given that Keenum is having an outlier type season compared to the rest of his career.

10 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

How much do you think Spielman would offer each QB on the current roster, and, specifically why would Keenum get the offer you expect from Spielman?

My absolute absolute ceiling for a Keenum contract would be Jay Cutler money, but hopefully closer to Josh McCown money.

For Bridgewater, I'd go slightly ahead of that, from Cutler to Mike Glennon money (only because of the injury questions)

4 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

I’m not sure why you think that is lowering our ceiling. I’m not even sure it’s lowering our floor given that Keenum is having an outlier type season compared to the rest of his career.

Lowering ceiling cuz you'd be going with a QB who would not have taken a meaningful snap in 2 years and wasn't all that good to begin with.

As long as Case most current year is his best, its the QB position, most important position in team sports, someone will believe he changed his career trajectory slope and give him a chance as full starter & money

1 minute ago, CriminalMind said:

Lowering ceiling cuz you'd be going with a QB who would not have taken a meaningful snap in 2 years and wasn't all that good to begin with.

As long as his most current year is his best, its the QB position, most important position in team sports, someone will believe he changes his trajectory slope and give him a chance as full starter

The last time Bridgewater took a snap really isn’t relevant to his ceiling.I think the reason for most who want to keep Bridgewater is because they think he has a higher ceiling.

And the fact someone else is willing to pay Keenum doesn’t speak to whether its the best movie for us.

Archived