Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

8 minutes ago, Wundy said:

Watching the game today, I can't help but think Case, while playing well, is a product of the system.  To his credit, he's taking advantage of the situations but his inaccuracy becomes more and more evident each game. While not missing by much, the ball placement is killing potential yac.  I can't help but wonder if Teddy could take the offense to the next level. 

In addition to those weaknesses, Keenum is not good at getting rid of the ball (throwing it away from any possibility of an interception) when he has too much pressure from the rush.  He throws it up for grabs way too much.  I don't see Keenum as a long-term answer for The Vikings at QB.  If Teddy is healthy, he should play enough to show whether or not he will be able to perform physically, and not have his past injury hamper him, or make him subject to re-injury.

IF case is still playing well, he needs to stay in, as he and his O-Line and receivers have developed a good level of chemistry together.  It May be that The Vikings will ride Keenum all the way through the playoffs.  But Teddy needs a chance to win that job outright next season.  And Bradford will likely be on the way out, IF Teddy is physically able to play.

3 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I've been thinking this might be the outcome. And collect compensatory picks for both Teddy and Bradford for 1 year contracts they might eventually sign.

Only issue with that is if "Our time is now", then it is hard to see us go into next year with Keenum and a Rookie unless somehow we would win a Superbowl this year. Big somehow.

If Keenum "somehow" leads us into a deep playoff run or Superbowl than there is no chance he see's 10M/yr and honestly 15-20M/yr is more realistic with the contracts you see QB's are getting and expected cap rises year by year.

He will be around that same price range as Andy Dalton, Ryan Tannehill, Alex Smith, and heck even Mike Glennon got $15M/yr for rarely playing.

4 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Only issue with that is if "Our time is now", then it is hard to see us go into next year with Keenum and a Rookie unless somehow we would win a Superbowl this year. Big somehow.

If Keenum "somehow" leads us into a deep playoff run or Superbowl than there is no chance he see's 10M/yr and honestly 15-20M/yr is more realistic with the contracts you see QB's are getting and expected cap rises year by year.

He will be around that same price range as Andy Dalton, Ryan Tannehill, Alex Smith, and heck even Mike Glennon got $15M/yr for rarely playing.

I do think "our time is now". Rick wasn't wrong when he traded for Sam, he felt the Vikings window was now, just last year the injuries were the key nail in the coffin, this year Case is playing excellent (and likely) doing what they what him to do.

Theres an argument to be made that we might even have to franchise Case depending how well he continues to play. Isn't that shocking but positive at the same time.

Just now, CriminalMind said:

I do think "our time is now". Rick want wrong when he traded for Sam, he felt the Vikings window was now, just last year the injuries were the key nail in the coffin, this year Case is playing excellent (and likely) doing what they what him to do.

Theres an argument to be made that we might even have to franchise him depending how well he continues to play. Isn't that shocking but positive at the same time.

They wont franchise Case. Absolutely won't.

29 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

They wont franchise Case. Absolutely won't.

I did say depending on how well he continues to play. Say he took us to nfccg or SB win. What is the preference, 4 year at $17M per year or exclusive franchise tag him or non exclusive franchise tag him.... Surely we wouldn't just let him walk under that circumstances.

Are we getting Cousins instead? Likely not.

I've been evaluating QBs for that 29-32th pick in the draft cuz we could be players.

Case was extraordinary moving in the pocket and avoiding pressure today. I hate to pick on the guy that has QB'd in 6 straight wins, but he's so darn inaccurate. Watching Thielen and Rudolph bail him out at least twice each is frustrating. I don't think that he can continue to leave big plays on the field and win.

If Case is viewed as the current starter and both Case and Teddy are viewed fairly equally going forward, it will be a challenge to keep both.

if Keenum and the Vikes win one playoff game at the very least, Keenum might have played himself into what Glennon received.

that leaves Teddy. Will he want to come back if Keenum is making $12+ million per year? 

31 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Case was extraordinary moving in the pocket and avoiding pressure today. I hate to pick on the guy that has QB'd in 6 straight wins, but he's so darn inaccurate. Watching Thielen and Rudolph bail him out at least twice each is frustrating. I don't think that he can continue to leave big plays on the field and win.

Agree with this, being at the game it was even more evident to me (able to see more of the field), not only the inaccurate throws, but the missed open receivers.

Also a regarding Keenum's pocket movement.  While I'll agree its a definite strength, prehaps even a signature one, I personally think that it inadvertently creates harder situations and throws for him.  And ultimately makes him look better than hes actually playing. Hard to explain tho I guess

I assumed before opening this thread that there would be a few people wanting to fix something that ain't broke.  Sigh.

Let's give credit to Shurmur, Diggs, Thielen, the improved OL, Cook, etc. for the success of the two QBs this year.  But if they falter, blame the QBs, not Shurmur, et al. O.o

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

If Case is viewed as the current starter and both Case and Teddy are viewed fairly equally going forward, it will be a challenge to keep both.

if Keenum and the Vikes win one playoff game at the very least, Keenum might have played himself into what Glennon received.

that leaves Teddy. Will he want to come back if Keenum is making $12+ million per year? 

There is a difference between being viewed equally right now in the middle of a hot streak and viewed equally in terms of potential.

Keenum is one, but not both.

Archived