Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

Just now, Purplexing said:

You're trying to fix something that isn't broken.  You've pointed out 2 imperfect throws in the course of a game.  Name a QB who's always been on target, or never had a near INT in any game. 

I don't wonder why I see this type of criticism in the era of Fantasy Football, where player's success takes precedence over team success.  When you think about it, some folks behavior isn't perplexing after all.

I'm not trying to fix anything. I very clearly said he's doing enough to keep his job. There is no QB debate going into Week 12.

4 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

You're trying to fix something that isn't broken.  You've pointed out 2 imperfect throws in the course of a game.  Name a QB who's always been on target, or never had a near INT in any game. 

I don't wonder why I see this type of criticism in the era of Fantasy Football, where player's success takes precedence over team success.  When you think about it, some folks behavior isn't perplexing after all.

You clearly don't understand what he's saying. There are routine plays that he makes difficult or doesn't complete, and bad plays where his teammates bail him out on a weekly basis. 

Sooner or later this will catch up with him.

Per usual, that post is really condescending.

Some of you guys act like we went from Favre to Rodgers to Keenum,   Or from Bledsoe to Brady to Keenum.   

We went from Ponder/Cassel/ Freeman/Bridgewater/Hill/Bradford to Keenum.     Keenum has been playing great compared to what we have been having at that position over the last ten years.     Zimmer needs to come out and say Keenum is our starter for the rest of the season.   He has earned that spot this season.  

2 minutes ago, Freakish Mind said:

Some of you guys act like we went from Favre to Rodgers to Keenum,   Or from Bledsoe to Brady to Keenum.   

We went from Ponder/Cassel/ Freeman/Bridgewater/Hill/Bradford to Keenum.     Keenum has been playing great compared to what we have been having at that position over the last ten years.     Zimmer needs to come out and say Keenum is our starter for the rest of the season.   He has earned that spot this season.  

So what do you do if after making that proclamation he comes out and loses the next two games and throws 4 INTs in the process? Still confident in him? Still earned that spot for the rest of the season?

Going week to week hasn't affected his play, so why the need for a big proclamation?

12 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:
17 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

You clearly don't understand what he's saying. There are routine plays that he makes difficult or doesn't complete, and bad plays where his teammates bail him out on a weekly basis. 

Sooner or later this will catch up with him.

Per usual, that post is really condescending

exactly, it's the rate at which those negative processes aren't leading to negative results that causing us to have pause.  Regression seems inevitable

It's not really even to take anything away from Keenum, more just that relying on him into the postseason and beyond doesn't look like a good bet.

Just now, Klomp said:

So what do you do if after making that proclamation he comes out and loses the next two games and throws 4 INTs in the process? Still confident in him? Still earned that spot for the rest of the season?

Zimmer would cross that bridge if he ever came to it.  Speculating on a horrid stretch of performance when there hasn't been any sign that is possible is futile at this time.

The only reason to think that outlier scenario could occur is the specific defenses the Vikings / Keenum will face on the road in the next two games.  Detroit struggled with Da Bears, so that doesn't seem to be a strong defense, and the extra time for the next game will help avoid such a meltdown.

7 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

Zimmer would cross that bridge if he ever came to it. 

Which means he's the starter at least until he messes up. Then it can be reevaluated. Just like we've said, and now you have coach's confirmation. So what's the problem again?

4 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

exactly, it's the rate at which those negative processes aren't leading to negative results that causing us to have pause.  Regression seems inevitable

It's not really even to take anything away from Keenum, more just that relying on him into the postseason and beyond doesn't look like a good bet.

You're looking for a reason to change something that is working well.

Regression only seems inevitable to those who want a change.  i.e. fixing something that isn't broken.  Ask someone on the general NFL board what they think about Keenum, and the likelihood of him melting down over the finishing stretch.

No one QB is going to be a certainty to win, including Brady, Montana, Favre, etc., each of whom who lost a few big games. 

You can discuss outlier scenarios if you wish, but I will immediately point out that tendency makes little sense in the 'current day' (win streak).  I'm sure the win streak will end at some point. But I don't think anyone rightfully can anticipate a losing streak.

Just now, Purplexing said:

You're looking for a reason to change something that is working well.

Regression only seems inevitable to those who want a change.  i.e. fixing something that isn't broken.  Ask someone on the general NFL board what they think about Keenum, and the likelihood of him melting down over the finishing stretch.

No one QB is going to be a certainty to win, including Brady, Montana, Favre, etc., each of whom who lost a few big games. 

You can discuss outlier scenarios if you wish, but I will immediately point out that tendency makes little sense in the 'current day' (win streak).  I'm sure the win streak will end at some point. But I don't think anyone rightfully can anticipate a losing streak.

We aren't talking about making a change today, this second. We are discussing the possibility of what to do if/when something goes wrong. That then becomes fixing something that's broken, not fixing something that isn't broken.

3 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Which means he's the starter at least until he messes up. Then it can be reevaluated. Just like we've said, and now you have coach's confirmation. So what's the problem again?

'Until', or 'if'?  That's the key question.  I said before some fans are trying to fix something that isn't broke.  At least you are now saying it is a hypothetical situation, and I agree with that.

2 minutes ago, Klomp said:

We aren't talking about making a change today, this second. We are discussing the possibility of what to do if/when something goes wrong. That then becomes fixing something that's broken, not fixing something that isn't broken.

Agreed.  But, read some other posters posts to see what I reacted to in my earlier posts this evening.  G'night.

Archived