Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

Just now, Worm Guts said:

I'm sure Case will be looking for a multi-year deal if he can get it.  And I also don't think we will look to resign Case in vacuum, it will be who would we rather keep, Teddy or Case, and what are we willing to offer to keep him here.  I'm sure we'll only be able to keep one, but sign-ability might be an under rated aspect.

Yes, Case will first look for a multi-year deal for starting QB money. I'm not sure if he will get it yet.

I can’t see any team handing Case a starting job. If he goes somewhere to be a starter, it going to be somewhere like Cleveland, Jacksonville, or the Jets where he’ll be penciled in as the starter, but the team will actively look for his replacement in the draft. 

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

I can’t see any team handing Case a starting job. If he goes somewhere to be a starter, it going to be somewhere like Cleveland, Jacksonville, or the Jets where he’ll be penciled in as the starter, but the team will actively look for his replacement in the draft. 

If he does something crazy likes goes and wins a Super Bowl, all bets are off.

Packers perspective here...

If I had to rank the quarterbacks that I want starting for the Vikings next year, I'd rank them as follows:

1. Teddy Bridgewater
2. Sam Bradford
3. Case Keenum
4. First round draft pick rookie

I don't think Bradford, Bridgewater or Keenum are long term franchise builders so I'd prefer one of them to come back and be the starter for you next year, but out of those three, Keenum is, for the Vikings I think, the best option. 

25 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Not really. Because the consistency isn’t there, and Keenum has a significant body of work that’s not very good. 

I've seen enough bad decisions from teams on players coming off of playoff success that I'm not going to rule anything out if Case gets to a Super Bowl.

Anybody else see Case's career similar to Drew Brees?

Look at his stats the first 4 years, he was below average until year 4 when it finally began to click for him. San Diego franchised him hoping to trade him as they had already traded for Phillip Rivers. He played the 2005 season on under the franchise tag and was injured in the last game of the year. He signed with the Saints after the Dolphins pulled out of negotiations as they feared his shoulder was not 100%.

Case did not have the injury that Drew had but eely in the career Case had similar average to below average numbers and has taken a big leap forward this year.  Drew was very good in college but simply did not have prototype size. Was below to average for 3 years. 4the year as the starter he started to get it.

Keenum was very good in college, struggled when given chances early in his career on bad teams, continues to improve and seems to be at his best now.

18 hours ago, vike daddy said:

gosh, isn't this horse dead yet? lol.

great analysis by perrynoid but it again is comparing apples and oranges - the rest of the teams and their effectiveness as a whole when each QB was under center.

Thank you for the kind words.  The horse keeps regenerating btw lol.  Actually, the ESPN total QBR touts their system as incorporating  "all of a quarterback’s contributions to winning, including how he impacts the game on passes, rushes, turnovers and penalties."  Further,  "since QBR is built from the play level, it accounts for a team’s level of success or failure on every play to provide the proper context and then allocates credit to the quarterback and his teammate to produce a clearer measure of quarterback efficiency."

http://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/123701/how-is-total-qbr-calculated-we-explain-our-quarterback-rating

Harkening back to the original point, that being the claim Teddy and Cases stats being on the same level, I offered the total QBR numbers to show that was not the case.  My solution to the QB dilemma would be to offer the same contract to both: several million base salary, plus playing time and performance incentives worth several more million.  Thus, whoever won the starting job next year would earn more money, and let the best man win.  It would also protect the team in the event of injury to one or both of the players, since quite a bit of the money is doled out only for playing time and performance.

Addressing another issue raised in this thread, aesthetics don't count for much in pro football.  A pretty 20-yard completion is till a 20-yard completion, a TD counts as much irrespective of how attractive the play was.  The play where Case was struck in the head (no penalty?!?), ducked under a lineman's attempted tackle, and completed a pass to Thielen, might not have been pretty, but was nonetheless a very impressive display of talent and determination.  In fact, one could say Cases sack avoidance was grandpa-esque in its nature.

1 minute ago, perrynoid said:

Addressing another issue raised in this thread, aesthetics don't count for much in pro football.  A pretty 20-yard completion is till a 20-yard completion, a TD counts as much irrespective of how attractive the play was.  The play where Case was struck in the head (no penalty?!?), ducked under a lineman's attempted tackle, and completed a pass to Thielen, might not have been pretty, but was nonetheless a very impressive display of talent and determination.  In fact, one could say Cases sack avoidance was grandpa-esque in its nature.

yes, but then we would then also have to discount, or not discount, the plays where Keenum has a whatever long completion, but the pass accuracy was errant and the receiver made a miraculous play to catch it. so, it's a wash.

grandpa out.

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Not really. Because the consistency isn’t there, and Keenum has a significant body of work that’s not very good. 

Some of Keenum's early starts in his career were not very good. The same is true of Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, and even Peyton Manning. Teams will put a lot more stock into the more recent play. In that, Case has a significant body of work that looks very nice. If Case keeps it up the rest of the year I would be very surprised if a team didn't offer him a chance to start.

Archived