Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

19 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Case has been good this year. But he's made some boneheaded throws and has overthrown several wide open receivers. He's not the second coming of Drew Brees. I think it would be a mistake to hitch our wagon to him past this year, but I also think that Teddy is still unproven. 

Case's good play is a bit of a blessing and a curse. 

If he leads us to the promise land, then you hitch that wagon right up to him and put a lock on it. 

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

How’s that working for Baltimore?

Not well.

That said, I do think the Vikings front office would give themselves outs. While Keenum might get a really nice deal if he leads the Vikings to the Superbowl, I don't see the Vikings locking him up for ages without several spots for outs, probably after a couple of years.

21 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

They have a ring. I would gladly trade places. Would really like to see one championship for the VIkings in my lifetime. If it costs a few years of competitiveness in the future, it is a trade I would happily make.

And, the Ravens just shut out the Packers in Lambeau. That is nice too. Get a ring. Still be able to go into Lambeau and shut them out. I wouldn't be complaining.

5 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

They have a ring.

And had they not given a massive, terrible contract to Joe Flacco, they’d still have that ring.  And they wouldn’t be tied to a middling quarterback with a contract that makes it almost impossible to move on.

If Case Keenum led the Vikings to a Super Bowl win it would be an unbelievable story. But that doesn’t mean you hitch your wagon to him for the future. 

I think the best way to put it is that after the Washington game in particular, Keenum had earned the presumed starter role, however It should have become a competion with the two splitting 1st team reps. 

It seems this hasn't been the case and I think thats what bothers me....they're just gonna ride it out with Keenum and ultimately I think it will fail them.

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

That's a completely different situation.  I always felt it was likely that Flacco was going to return regardless (despite it being the last year of his deal) to be the starter...the issue turned out to be the money that he got for it, not that he was or wasn't going to return. Plus, in reality, that massive, terrible contract doesn't exist anymore, as they extended it last year.  So, apparently, he was doing well enough for them to give him 3 additional years.  Unfortunately, he's not a top-10 QB despite having the contract that suggests he is, but it was never exactly a horrible contract..the horrible contract was given to Mike Glennon by the Bears.

19 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Keenum has been in the league for a lot longer and has displayed the same tendencies in multiple offenses with multiple personnel groupings. He's 29 years old. Teddy was 23 when he had his last pass attempt. He'd been in the NFL for 2 seasons. 

I'm not going to convince you, or anyone else that believes in what Keenum is doing, that he is perilously close most games to making big mistakes and that his success thus far isn't sustainable long term. Which is fine! I hope that I am wrong and that he leads this team on a miracle run. I am trusting my eyes here, based on what I see Keenum doing in this offense, what I have seen Teddy accomplish in the last offense that he played in, and making a judgement about what I believe Teddy could do if he were in Keenum's place. That's all. It's a healthy debate and one that I think is probably happening between the Vikings' staff as we speak. There are great points being made on both sides. 

Additionally, I agree with you that there is a lot to process as a QB. At the same time they are professionals, and some do it better than others. I don't think that is an excuse for either party in question, outside of experience and tendencies.

But I don't need convincing!  I agree that he is perilously close some games to making mistakes.  What I like about him is that he is willing to take some risks late in games.  It has been a feature of most Vikings QB's post grandpa, that they play it too safe late in games with leads, and end up going 3 and out, and thus putting the defense in untenable situations late in games.  I want a QB that will let the other teams defense know, late in games, when you crowd the box/blitz, I will make you pay!  That is what happened with the 65-yard TD he threw to Thielen last game, they blitzed with over 10 minutes left in the game and the Vikings leading 14-7.  And he made them pay for it.  That is how you put teams away, and for the last several years I have grown sick and tired of "playing it safe" with leads late in games.

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

If Case Keenum led the Vikings to a Super Bowl win it would be an unbelievable story. But that doesn’t mean you hitch your wagon to him for the future. 

Maybe not in your world....In mine you would lock that up for atleast a few years.   Some of you guys act like we have been blessed with great QB play over the last 10 years.     I'll take a few mistakes from him a game if he keeps on playing aggressive like he has been.  

5 minutes ago, Freakish Mind said:

Maybe not in your world....In mine you would lock that up for atleast a few years.   Some of you guys act like we have been blessed with great QB play over the last 10 years.     I'll take a few mistakes from him a game if he keeps on playing aggressive like he has been.  

I'll take a Super Bowl win if it means overpaying for Keenum. I'm okay with that.

If Case carry's us to a SuperBowl, then we could non-exclusive franchise tag him (we should have the space), instead of the long term deal.

Imagine getting 2 1st rounder's for Case... and if no one offers him a contract, we retain him at the tag number and we maintain flexibility (long term)

3 hours ago, Freakish Mind said:

So because we haven't been blessed with great QB play it's okay to not strive for great QB play?

Archived