Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

Let me tell you a story.

It's a story of a QB who was inserted into the lineup with his team at 2-0 after the starter was injured. He proceeded to go 13-1 as the starter and threw 34 TDs compared to just 10 INTs.

The QB injured in Week 2 was traded over the offseason. The replacement who went 13-1 was named the starter going into the next season, but that didn't stop them from drafting a QB in the first round that year. The next season, the guy who went 13-1 was benched six games into the season.

3 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Let me tell you a story.

It's a story of a QB who was inserted into the lineup with his team at 2-0 after the starter was injured. He proceeded to go 13-1 as the starter and threw 34 TDs compared to just 10 INTs.

The QB injured in Week 2 was traded over the offseason. The replacement who went 13-1 was named the starter going into the next season, but that didn't stop them from drafting a QB in the first round that year. The next season, the guy who went 13-1 was benched six games into the season.

I believe Cunningham was 35-36, which is why it made sense for the Vikings to draft Culpepper.  It's a little tougher when Case is 29, of course I'm not saying that means we couldn't do it.  We also won't be in the same type of position to draft a QB like we did in '99 since we don't  have a Brad Johnson to trade.

12 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

I believe Cunningham was 35-36, which is why it made sense for the Vikings to draft Culpepper.  It's a little tougher when Case is 29, of course I'm not saying that means we couldn't do it.  We also won't be in the same type of position to draft a QB like we did in '99 since we don't  have a Brad Johnson to trade.

You are correct that the comparison isn't exact across the board. But it's not far off.

Bradford is the new Johnson. Obviously we can't trade him because he's a free agent, but he's a guy who another team could easily add in the offseason in hopes he can be their guy.

Keenum is younger than Cunningham, but if you look back to RC's previous four seasons before 1999, they aren't much different from CK's last four seasons.

And I wasn't saying to draft a QB. Essentially, we have a first-round pick at QB already on the roster, who is only 25 years old.

On 12/2/2017 at 11:59 PM, SteelKing728 said:

Anything can happen with Rick Pickumulator!

At this point, what would it take for Keenum to be benched? This is assuming that the coaching staff feels confident that Bridgewater is a capable backup.

Does he need to throw a few crippling interceptions? Lose a game?

Is there anything Teddy can do in practice to rightfully take the job away from Case?

Case would get benched if he makes several bad decisions in practice sessions and doesn't listen to coaches' guidance.  Don't forget about MinneSloter as an alternative!

Throwing INTs would have to happen in a game; the Vikes defense probably often picks off Vikes QBs in practice.  Losing games is a reason to bench a QB who won many in a row.  But it might take a few losses for that to happen; i.e. do you expect the Vikings to always win road games?  A switch due to practice ?... nothing comes to mind... after all, it's practice, man!

58 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Yes, seven years later

Trying to draw parallels from history to make a point doesn't always yield reasonable results.  I mean, how many times does a team have a starting QB who was traded, then later returned to the team, such as what happened with Brad Johnson?  I've been Frantically searching for any such parallel incident, to no avail!

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

That doesn’t mean you back the Brinks truck up to his doorstep. 

Correct. 

The market for the services of a FA QB who performs at 'Level X' determines the competitive salary to offer, after bids of teams who create demand for such services are submitted. 

21 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

Case would get benched if he makes several bad decisions in practice sessions and doesn't listen to coaches' guidance.  Don't forget about MinneSloter as an alternative!

Throwing INTs would have to happen in a game; the Vikes defense probably often picks off Vikes QBs in practice.  Losing games is a reason to bench a QB who won many in a row.  But it might take a few losses for that to happen; i.e. do you expect the Vikings to always win road games?  A switch due to practice ?... nothing comes to mind... after all, it's practice, man

Just pointing out that SK didn't ask if Case could lose the job due to his practice habits, he asked if Teddy could win the job due to his practice habits. That is a minor, yet major, difference.

1 hour ago, Klomp said:

Just pointing out that SK didn't ask if Case could lose the job due to his practice habits, he asked if Teddy could win the job due to his practice habits. That is a minor, yet major, difference.

Correct.  I read each of SteelKing728's Qs and responded to them, one by one.  My last response applies to the practice question re: TB.  Then, I concluded with AI's youtube vid to cap off my post.

44 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Ehhhh....

Keenum has a vastly superior body of work to Glennon. Glennon never played this well. Ever. Glennon's contract is likely the floor for Keenum. 

I still doubt it. I think Keenum’s contract will be closer to what Brian Hoyer got. Keenum still has a body of work that’s horrible, and teams aren’t going to forget that after just one good year. I doubt Keenum gets signed to be a team’s unquestioned starter. He’s likelt to get signed to be a part of a competition, or place holder for a rookie. 

Also, as far as Glennon goes, he was viewed as the best QB available going into free agency, and a bidding war ensued. Keenum isn’t likely going to be the top QB entering free agency. 

Archived