Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

5 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Jackson never had the success that Keenum has had this far. There was never any real hope with Jackson. Keenum has played like a solid starter.

Well he did have a 4 TD game! 

The point still stands: let's see what Keenum can do in the playoffs.

To all the people that think Keenum occasionally missing plays is a reasonable excuse to start Teddy over him: 

Did you see the game yesterday? Is it safe to say that you wouldn't want Matt Ryan or Drew Brees starting?

This after watching Russell Wilson and Carson Wentz play like someone you wouldn't want.

Of course, I don't think there is a QB in the league that would play at a high enough level for you to not want to replace them -- Tom Brady included.

I am enjoying the ride with Case. I am sorry that you are unable to. Case is playing so well!

It will be interesting to see what the Vikings do in the offseason. If case keeps up his level of play it will take the team at least $23M, the franchise tag amount, to keep Case for a year. I don't know that I would give Case that contract if I was the Vikings but if they don't find an alternative there may be little choice. It will be interesting to see what happens with Teddy. There will be other guys to consider too.

9 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

has anyone said that lately?

seems to me pretty much everyone is content with Keenum.

Agreed.  I haven't heard that for at least 3 weeks.  I'm pretty sure though, still, in the end, the organization will pick Teddy in 2018 over Case.  

5 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

To all the people that think Keenum occasionally missing plays is a reasonable excuse to start Teddy over him: 

Did you see the game yesterday? Is it safe to say that you wouldn't want Matt Ryan or Drew Brees starting?

This after watching Russell Wilson and Carson Wentz play like someone you wouldn't want.

Of course, I don't think there is a QB in the league that would play at a high enough level for you to not want to replace them -- Tom Brady included.

I am enjoying the ride with Case. I am sorry that you are unable to. Case is playing so well!

It will be interesting to see what the Vikings do in the offseason. If case keeps up his level of play it will take the team at least $23M, the franchise tag amount, to keep Case for a year. I don't know that I would give Case that contract if I was the Vikings but if they don't find an alternative there may be little choice. It will be interesting to see what happens with Teddy. There will be other guys to consider too.

For someone that likes to speak for others you really have a poor grasp on reading comprehension. 

Where has anyone, post bye week, said that Keenum should be benched? Where has anyone said that they don’t want Keenum starting? Why do you seem to believe that poor plays can’t be critiqued? Do you believe that when these players are in the film room that they aren’t critiquing themselves, or that coaches aren’t pointing out their mistakes? 

Every quarterback throws interceptions, does that mean any of Matt Ryan’s or Drew Brees’ interceptions don’t deserve criticism? If a quarterback is consistently throwing interceptions, is it unfair to critique his ability to take care of the football? After all, every quarterback throws interceptions. 

Every quarterback has overthrown a wide receiver, yet that has never, and still doesn’t, stop people from criticizing Bridgewater’s deep passing. And nor should it. Bridgewater over three receivers on a consistent basis, therefor exposing a weakness in his game that was deserving of criticism. 

Like Bridgewater’s consistent inaccurate throws on deep balls, Keenum has consistently failed to recognize coverages that have left receivers wide open down field, or broken coverages that have done the same. It’s something that is happening on a week to week basis, exposing a weakness in his game. Certainly making it worth critiquing. Yes, Matt Ryan missed two opportunities for touchdowns if he had simply seen the entire field, and had not gotten tunnel vision locked on to Julio Jones. And in that close of a game, behind at one point, missing those throws absolutely is deserving of criticism. However, Matt Ryan has also built up a considerable amount of equity throughout his career, to where we know that those misses are not indicative of a pattern. Keenum, Like Bridgewater with his deep passing, do not have that equity built up. 

We are all enjoying the ride, it’s flat out ignorant on your part to assume otherwise. But, hey, if you feel the need to thump your chest and show people that you were right, go for it. There are plenty of others around here who are capable of carrying on conversations and sharing opinions with a maturity level that most have come to expect from this site. 

25 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Definitely fair to say that 95% of Vikings fans want Case to start the rest of the season.

Next season is a whole different can of worms though.... Definitely going to be interesting to see how the offseason plays out.

it wouldn't be an offseason without a Vikings QB controversy! 

On 12/7/2017 at 6:36 PM, SemperFeist said:

It’s certainly a gamble. But it’s also a gamble believing that Keenum can continue this level of play given his level of play prior to this year. And it’s certainly a gamble heading looking at the draft. 

NFL ratings system require 224 passes to qualify for a QB rating.  That seems to imply the 2017 year is a valid measure of his performance and future potential.

On 12/7/2017 at 6:33 PM, SemperFeist said:

It’s pretty obvious to anyone who’s watched the games that Keenum has been playing at a level that doesn’t warrant benching. The same couldn’t have been said following the loss to Detroit, heading into Chicago. 

Using your criteria, why wasn't Keenum benched after his consecutive meager weeks 6 and 7 performances against GB ( QB rating 78.7) and Baltimore ( QB rating 67.7 ), which were about the same and worse, respectively, than in week 4 vs. Detroit ( 76.9 )? 

12 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

Using your criteria, why wasn't Keenum benched after his consecutive meager weeks 6 and 7 performances against GB ( QB rating 78.7) and Baltimore ( QB rating 67.7 ), which were about the same and worse, respectively, than in week 4 vs. Detroit ( 76.9 )? 

It’s very obvious, but I understand that you’re intentionally being obtuse to try and get a reaction. 

Archived