Jim Harbaugh’s College Football Proposal

winitall

2 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

The whole concept of a draft is stupid as hell, players should be allowed to have some agency over where they wanna play.

What a ridiculous idea. That would create an unfair advantage to many cities and the rich would only get richer. Why would anyone want to go to an 0-16 team when they can go to a team in the SB the previous year? 

Edited by JTagg7754
  • Like 3

Just now, Thelonebillsfan said:

Yeah? That's a good thing?

The whole concept of a draft is stupid as hell, players should be allowed to have some agency over where they wanna play.

That's not a good thing in any way shape or form because then you're going to force some of the more powerful organizations into positions where people will only want to play for them. Imagine if a high impact player like a Chase Young came out and said "Sorry, I'll only play for Pittsburgh, Dallas, or New England."

Just now, JTagg7754 said:

What a ridiculous idea. That would create an unfair advantage to many cities and the rich would only get richer.

There's still a limit on roster spots, and that advantage already exists. The idea that we just assign people to where they're going to spend 5 years of their professional lives  based on absolutely NO input or agency from themselves is totally absurd and ridiculous. At the very least, this proposal gives players a level of control that they otherwise did not have, giving labor more leverage is never a bad thing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

There's still a limit on roster spots, and that advantage already exists. The idea that we just assign people to where they're going to spend 5 years of their professional lives  based on absolutely NO input or agency from themselves is totally absurd and ridiculous. At the very least, this proposal gives players a level of control that they otherwise did not have, giving labor more leverage is never a bad thing.

That agency is earned when you get to the league.

If you extrapolate that to the NBA and apply the same concept, the Lakers would likely win the title every single year.

3 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Who cares if there's roster spots. Cut the trash to pick up the premiere prospect? Absolutely. Take the Chiefs this year.

"Hey every WR not named Mecole Hardman and Tyreke Hill, GTFO! We're getting Jeudy, Lamb, and Ruggs to join us. Sorry but enjoy playing in Washington."

No. Just no.

Edited by JTagg7754
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

That's not a good thing in any way shape or form because then you're going to force some of the more powerful organizations into positions where people will only want to play for them. Imagine if a high impact player like a Chase Young came out and said "Sorry, I'll only play for Pittsburgh, Dallas, or New England."

And why shouldn't they be allowed to do that? The idea of the draft being some form of competitive balance alignment is laughable, it's to control labor and keep costs down, it was instituted before free agency even existed and was designed to force guys into playing for incredibly low wages on teams that treated them like garbage. 

"Competitive balance" barely exists with the draft as currently constructed. The idea that removing it or altering the players ability to engage with it would do any significant damage isn't borne out in anything other than the same general hypothetical  that says these guys shouldn't get paid in college.

1 minute ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

That agency is earned when you get to the league.

If you extrapolate that to the NBA and apply the same concept, the Lakers would likely win the title every single year.

That's idiotic, if we treated any other profession like that, nobody would participate in it because it's archaic and insane. The minute you declare for the draft you're declaring your intent to be employed by an NFL team, that nobody gets to choose that is wrong, it's stripping power from the workforce and giving it to people with a billion dollar financial incentive to exploit them while their labor is relatively cheap compared to their value.

2 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

Who cares if there's roster spots. Cut the trash to pick up the premiere prospect? Absolutely. Take the Chiefs this year.

"Hey everyone not named Mecole Hardman and Tyreke Hill, GTFO! We're getting Jeudy, Lamb, and Ruggs to join us. Sorry but enjoy playing in Washington."

No. Just no.

Somehow, everywhere else on earth where professional sports exist, they don't perpetuate this farce of going from semi-pro and low level leagues into the professional class leagues with a "draft" system. And they manage to maintain competitive quality products every year.

This idea that we're unique in how we construct it to maintain competitive balance rather than another avenue of financial exploitation and repression is ridiculous.

Just now, Thelonebillsfan said:

Somehow, everywhere else on earth where professional sports exist, they don't perpetuate this farce of going from semi-pro and low level leagues into the professional class leagues with a "draft" system. And they manage to maintain competitive quality products every year.

This idea that we're unique in how we construct it to maintain competitive balance rather than another avenue of financial exploitation and repression is ridiculous.

That doesn't necessarily mean the same would happen here. Maybe you could be a little more specific in what you're referring to but in most European football leagues, parity is almost non-existent as far as the champs are concerned. If it wasn't for Tom Brady and Co going on a run like the sport has never seen, the opposite would be true here.

27 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

"Hey every WR not named Mecole Hardman and Tyreke Hill, GTFO! We're getting Jeudy, Lamb, and Ruggs to join us. Sorry but enjoy playing in Washington."

No. Just no.

There's a salary cap that already prevents stuff like this from happening.

I've heard the 'get rid of the draft' argument applied to basketball, and at first I didn't agree, but after it was explained to me, I was totally onboard. I could see the same thing working in the NFL. 

As far as Harbaugh's proposal, I like it. But, I'd like any proposal that takes away power from the NCAA.

• Like 1

Just now, minutemancl said:

There's a salary cap that already prevents stuff like this from happening.

I've heard the 'get rid of the draft' argument applied to basketball, and at first I didn't agree, but after it was explained to me, I was totally onboard. I could see the same thing working in the NFL. 

As far as Harbaugh's proposal, I like it. But, I'd like any proposal that takes away power from the NCAA.

If you're that worried about competitive balance, you could give each team "draft picks" that come with a bonus amount, and the teams can spend their bonus pools as they see fit. The picks could still be tradeable, and if you really wanted you could even say the dollars are a separate pool so teams could "roll them over" to the next year if you want.

This would give players a choice about where to go, give teams unlimited flexibility in terms of the players they get, still give the losingest teams the most ammunition to get rookies, and turn the draft from one weekend where we boo Gooddell in that stupid goddamn armchair of his into a 250 man free agency twitter battle royale. Which would be amazing.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

What a ridiculous idea. That would create an unfair advantage to many cities and the rich would only get richer. Why would anyone want to go to an 0-16 team when they can go to a team in the SB the previous year? 

this is... exactly how recruiting works