Jim Harbaugh’s College Football Proposal

winitall

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If the NFL draft and salary cap were critical to parity, you would expect to see more parity in the NFL than in baseball, for example since there is no salary cap and the draft isn't nearly as important.

Baseball has a strict draft and draft cap system

2 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

Dude this data will be skewed by something the Patroits are doing that no one has ever replicated prior and it's not like they're monumental differences between the two sports. They're fairly neck-and-neck

That's... that's the point.

If they're neck and neck then that speaks to the meaninglessness of your argument that the draft matters.

1 minute ago, JTagg7754 said:

Dude this data will be skewed by something the Patroits are doing that no one has ever replicated prior and it's not like they're monumental differences between the two sports. They're fairly neck-and-neck

The point is that there isn't any additional parity.

You're arguing that we need the draft for parity, and I'm asking why there isn't any additional parity in leagues where the draft matters less or where a salary cap doesn't exist.

The data supports that the draft doesn't add parity. And tbh it doesn't. Tom Brady taking a paycut isn't going to change the overall trendline.

2 minutes ago, winitall said:

He would go there for a pretty simple reason: He will start on a good team and look good, which will then make him a lot of money. 

I’m sure he is willing to suck up a couple months of snow in exchange for a larger second contract. Heck, after early February at the latest, he can live somewhere nice for the most annoying parts of winter. 

Even if he teamed up with a bunch of other top prospects in Vegas, wouldn’t that be a good thing? Wouldn’t that increase parity? Guys are going to favor wherever they can start and play a lot, because it is in their best interest. 

You can't pretend to know what he would do nor I..... BUT, I think my logic is a little more sound.

It would increase parity now b/c the Raiders are mediocre but if they attract this talent year after year after year b/c of no taxes and ideal weather, what do you think will happen?

1 minute ago, THE DUKE said:

Baseball has a strict draft and draft cap system

And it matters a whole lot less than it does in football. The first pick is worth like $30ish MM in surplus value, and it rapidly trails down to about $10MM/team by the end of the first round.

Compare that to the NFL draft, where the first pick can be worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

Just now, JTagg7754 said:

You can't pretend to know what he would do nor I..... BUT, I think my logic is a little more sound.

It would increase parity now b/c the Raiders are mediocre but if they attract this talent year after year after year b/c of no taxes and ideal weather, what do you think will happen?

Which is why the Miami Dolphins, Jacksonville Jaguars, and Tampa Bay Bucs win all the time.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The point is that there isn't any additional parity.

You're arguing that we need the draft for parity, and I'm asking why there isn't any additional parity in leagues where the draft matters less or where a salary cap doesn't exist.

The data supports that the draft doesn't add parity. And tbh it doesn't. Tom Brady taking a paycut isn't going to change the overall trendline.

Guy said that there's parity in other leagues (assuming he meant Europe) and they don't have a draft. That was instantly debunked by your data. We don't know that the draft adds parity but your data suggests sports that do have a draft, have more parity. Do we ultimately know that's what causes it? Nope but we know it exists in the sports w/ the most parity. Attribute it to whatever you want.

The primary reason the EPL is Man U and Arsenal (and Man City now) is because the ownership of the teams don't spend money, not because they lack a hard draft system for player allocation.

Maybe instead of being against players being able to chose where to play, you should be angry at the multi-billionaires and the league apparatus for allowing them to get away with spending pennies on the dollar to apportion out a "competitive" league. If they're all equal financially then there's no reason that with these parity building apparatuses that there is not a significant different in parity. Except for spend lines on ownership.

1 minute ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Which is why the Miami Dolphins, Jacksonville Jaguars, and Tampa Bay Bucs win all the time.

..................... you don't get it. 

IF the league was set up the way you're wanting it to be, I would bet quite a bit we'd see a substantial rise in success of warmer weather team especially in warm weather states especially those that don't have taxes... call it a hunch. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JTagg7754 said:

Guy said that there's parity in other leagues (assuming he meant Europe) and they don't have a draft. That was instantly debunked by your data. We don't know that the draft adds parity but your data suggests sports that do have a draft, have more parity. Do we ultimately know that's what causes it? Nope but we know it exists in the sports w/ the most parity. Attribute it to whatever you want.

I never said there was parity in other leagues, I said that the idea of parity as built by a draft structure doesn't exist, because it doesn't. The draft neither creates nor enforces parity.

2 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

So you are saying that top talent would continue to flock to a loaded team rather than go somewhere they will have better opportunities but worse weather? There is zero chance of that. Guys are going where they can play so they secure a bigger second contract.