Jim Harbaugh’s College Football Proposal

winitall

2 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

The 49ers were bad, incredibly bad, until last year. Now suddenly all those drafts they had were "good", when just last year, the drafts they had would be "bad" because they weren't winning.

You can't judge a decision made in hindsight reasonably, you judge the decision as it happened.

You're acting like Armstead and Buckner were bad picks when the 49ers were bad, but then good picks when they became good. A good player is a good player. The Lions have been bad for as long as I can remember, does that make the Stafford, Slay or Calvin Johnson picks bad? Or maybe if they hit on some more later picks and unearthed some UDFA's like good organizations do, they'd be a good team. We're not grading drafts using W/L records, we're grading using individual contributions, eventually when you have enough of them stacked on top of each other, the W/L's take care of themselves.

We're just banging heads against the wall here. Your opinion is that these kids should get to pick their teams and it's not right they are forced onto one. Is what it is, it's pro sports to me and not normal employment, the league gets a right to be selfish and make kids enter the league in a way that provides them the most financial compensation, aka the draft. No college athlet is forced into a league, there is an entire world worth of work force that they can choose for themselves. When you want to play pro sports, you play by the leagues rules and the league plays by what the consumer wants to consume in order to make money, and we want a draft because it's entertaining.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

tfw you realize you've spent like 10 years getting in internet fights about paying college players and now that everyone agrees with you, you're going to get into another 10 years of fights to get people to realize that the NFL needs an overhaul

i-dont-know-what-i-expected-gif-10.gif

Every single American sports league has a draft.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

We're just banging heads against the wall here. Your opinion is that these kids should get to pick their teams and it's not right they are forced onto one. Is what it is, it's pro sports to me and not normal employment, the league gets a right to be selfish and make kids enter the league in a way that provides them the most financial compensation, aka the draft. No college athlet is forced into a league, there is an entire world worth of work force that they can choose for themselves. When you want to play pro sports, you play by the leagues rules and the league plays by what the consumer wants to consume in order to make money, and we want a draft because it's entertaining.

You're just pretending that the anti-trust exemption doesn't exist here. It's not exclusively about what the league wants, they have a responsibility to the players here too.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You're just pretending that the anti-trust exemption doesn't exist here. It's not exclusively about what the league wants, they have a responsibility to the players here too.

I've been alive for 3 CBA negotiations, have not recalled one of them where abolishing of the draft was ever even a proposed conversation. Doesn't seem high on the players list of issues. 

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Every single American sports league has a draft.

And everywhere else in the world they don't and sports function just fine.

If CFB is going to be semi-professional if not outright a professional minor league system, which it will be by the end of the decade, then the NFL draft can't continue as constituted anyway.

Edited by Thelonebillsfan

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I've been alive for 3 CBA negotiations, have not recalled one of them where abolishing of the draft was ever even a proposed conversation. Doesn't seem high on the players list of issues. 

Nope, which is a separate discussion. The current players are in no way blameless here, but that doesn't absolve the NFL.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Nope, which is a separate discussion. The current players are in no way blameless here, but that doesn't absolve the NFL.

The PA for all the major sports being willing to throw these guys away and treat them as secondary does not absolve the unions or make this less valid, it just makes them culpable in perpetuating a system where there is a hierarchy over table scraps.

11 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

We saw a 2017 Saints team who could not get over the hump become a perennial power based off of one good draft (but still hasn't won the SB despite this because the league has parity), we just witnessed a team go from the #2 pick the the #2 team in the NFL in one off-season. The tools for parity are all there, is it the NFL's fault that some owners meddle in these systems despite not knowing what they are doing? I don't see how this model improves anything when those same owners are in place, other than giving desirable cities the best odds to acquire places do to circumstances outside the game of football (something that the draft completely eliminates). 

Co-sign as a Redskins fan.  All of the years of sucking have only produced mediocrity, and one person was at the helm of it all.  

The teams who win consistently are the ones where the owners know well enough to stay away and hire the right guys to make the decisions.  

14 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

That's idiotic, if we treated any other profession like that, nobody would participate in it because it's archaic and insane. The minute you declare for the draft you're declaring your intent to be employed by an NFL team, that nobody gets to choose that is wrong, it's stripping power from the workforce and giving it to people with a billion dollar financial incentive to exploit them while their labor is relatively cheap compared to their value.

If you gave me enough money to live comfortably off for my entire life (a rookie level contract in the NFL), not to mention the millions I could make and never have to work a real job again, sign me up for not being able to select which team I was drafted by.  

If you really want to fix a system, go after baseball.  They are eons behind the NFL with how they treat the young players.  

On 5/7/2020 at 3:34 PM, Texansfan713 said:

only one i agree with one was the transfer one.  if you transfer once you should get immediate eligibility.  if you do it again you need to sit out.

I agree with that as the transfer rules.  

Not sure how young I would let some of these kids into the NFL with how high-impact it is.  It takes time to get these players bulked up.  My cousin was a S&C coordinator at a major DI school, and it's quite a job to get some of them ready for college football, much less the NFL.  

I wish these kids would get paid.

However, I’ve got mixed feelings on kids going straight from high school to the NFL. Which is what would happen if given the choice (paid vs unpaid).

I’m cool with it in basketball. Football is playing against grown *** men.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

tfw you realize you've spent like 10 years getting in internet fights about paying college players and now that everyone agrees with you, you're going to get into another 10 years of fights to get people to realize that the NFL needs an overhaul

i-dont-know-what-i-expected-gif-10.gif

It’s never going to happen. There has to be a significant financial hit towards the NFL for them to make changes.

They will never have competition. ESPN has tried insanely hard to prop up the NBA and it’s done nothing.

17 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I wish these kids would get paid.

However, I’ve got mixed feelings on kids going straight from high school to the NFL. Which is what would happen if given the choice (paid vs unpaid).

I’m cool with it in basketball. Football is playing against grown *** men.

Grown men in a high impact environment.  You see teenagers able to play and succeed in baseball, basketball and even hockey.  I just can't see it in the NFL.  Someone would likely get killed.  

• Like 1