Fruits or Veggies?

Fruits or Veggies?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• Fruits
    • Veggies

On 6/3/2020 at 12:47 PM, animaltested said:

Eh, Cherries are now in my local grocery stores.

A quick Google Search shows me the Pacific NW's Cherry season starts first week of June. 

Not sure what is like in other less great areas of the world. 

OK, cherry season has hit Tennessee.  Bought a bag yesterday.

May plant a Rainier cherry tree in my yard.

4 hours ago, Daniel said:

OK, cherry season has hit Tennessee.  Bought a bag yesterday.

May plant a Rainier cherry tree in my yard.

I just planted one peach and two apple trees in my front yard (back in April).  First time with fruit trees. Definitely more work than raspberries or strawberries, but i'm hoping the payoff is worth it.

3 minutes ago, theJ said:

I just planted one peach and two apple trees in my front yard (back in April).  First time with fruit trees. Definitely more work than raspberries or strawberries, but i'm hoping the payoff is worth it.

I have little experience with fruit trees as well, but we plan on planting a few more in our yard, since we have a big open front yard.

We already have a fig, apple, and mullberry tree, we're probably going to plant a paw paw, pear, and cherry as well.  The apple tree looks good so far, but it has a big wound in the middle, so its lifespan is probably limited, and our fig is producing, but in a bad location right up against the house.  Mullberries are great, but the birds eat 90% of them before they're ripe.

I was curious, so I looked it up, and per a few websites, Rainier cherries are the most bird resistant, and they put out fruit earlier than other cherry trees, so they're clearly the way to go, since the apples and figs won't be popping up til July and August.

9 minutes ago, Daniel said:

The previous owner put a birdhouse in the center and the tree grew up around it as the birdhouse rotted.  It's a big hollow spot in the middle now.

Oh that's really unfortunate.  Guess i'll take a pointer there to never do that lol.

Do you just have the one apple tree?  How do you get it pollinated without another apple tree to pollinate it?

On 5/18/2020 at 2:45 AM, Tugboat said:

Are there even any vegetables that don't suck?  The closest thing is probably tomatoes that everyone treats like a vegetable, but even they're a fruit.  Plus you get grapes and berries and bananas and oranges and basically any sort of plant that doesn't suck to eat.

I guess garlic and onions might be enough to tip it, because they're so vital.  But nobody in their right mind is just like chomping on one, and they're not even really vegetables.  They're pretty much in their own category as far as i'm concerned.

I like Broccoli, Asparagus, Green Peppers, Carrots, Corn*, Tomatoes, Spinach, Lettuce, Green Beans, Peas. 

Most things Green, Tomatoes, and Carrots.

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

I like a lot of fruits. But Cherries are absolutely horrid. No thanks.

If you're basing that off a cherry that comes out a can, then you haven't actually had a cherry.

I used to have the same opinion.  Then at about age 29-30, someone convinced me to eat a fresh cherry.  They're basically not the same food.  One is gross, one is really good.

Just now, theJ said:

If you're basing that off a cherry that comes out a can, then you haven't actually had a cherry.

I used to have the same opinion.  Then at about age 29-30, someone convinced me to eat a fresh cherry.  They're basically not the same food.  One is gross, one is really good.

I just generally do not like the flavor of cherries at all. Canned or not. It's not my cup of tea. No thank you. They aren't objectively bad food, but I do not like them at all.

17 minutes ago, Danger said:

I just generally do not like the flavor of cherries at all. Canned or not. It's not my cup of tea. No thank you. They aren't objectively bad food, but I do not like them at all.

That's fair.  I just see a lot of people's opinions based on canned fruits.  And most canned fruits are not good.

58 minutes ago, theJ said:

You didn’t eat a fresh cherry until you were 30?

what exactly was going on years 1-29?

55 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

You didn’t eat a fresh cherry until you were 30?

what exactly was going on years 1-29?

🤷

Canned cherries turned me off so much it just never happened.