Shurmur for sure...

vike daddy

The Vikings are ninth in total passing yards, eighth in net yards per attempt and sixth in team passer rating. That’s not quite what you would have expected when starter Sam Bradford went down after Week 1. While Case Keenum deserves credit for his aggressiveness – which is not always a trait seen in backup quarterbacks -the combination of offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur’s scheme and the Vikings’ offensive line that have allowed them to be successful.

Heading into the Vikings’ matchup with the Green Bay Packers, they were the NFL’s best team when throwing play-action passes, gaining 12.7 yards per attempt, according to Football Outsiders. Keenum was successful again against Green Bay. Much of the reason for play-action success is Shurmur’s use of the offensive line and their execution in both the pass and the run.

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/10/film-review-play-actions-personnel-packages-driving-vikings-passing-game/

After many years, someone finally convinced Rick Pickumulator to address the OL.  Was it Shurmur? Zimmer?  Prplchlpll?

Additions by subtractions of Kalil, Clemmings, Beavers, and Boone were more significant than some want to admit.

And let's not forget this guy that Spielman added in the off-season;

Gavin_Macleod+as+Murray+slaughter.jpg

He's contributed a lot more yards gained than by Mc.... oh, wait!  Never mind.

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

yet it's the Vikings themselves publicizing it....

True, to a certain extent...but it is their entertainment wing, not the operations wing, so they are only going to publicize things that make Vikings' employees look good.  

42 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

yet it's the Vikings themselves publicizing it....

26 minutes ago, disaacs said:

True, to a certain extent...but it is their entertainment wing, not the operations wing, so they are only going to publicize things that make Vikings' employees look good.  

These videos come from NFL Network. I'm guessing they 'tag' the video with the teams discussed and it automatically goes into the video list on the team website. I doubt anyone from the Vikings even had a hand in it appearing on their website.

Shurmur's been game planning well this year and the team is executing.  I love the way the O-line's been playing, and I really thought Sparano was gagging bad last year.  This year?  The guy seems to be connecting . . . maybe having a smart center helps?  Yes, I said that . . .Berger's doing well at guard, but a center, he's not.  

The most impressive thing about Shurmur's offense is the "plug-n-play" mentality.  Seems like no matter who's out there, the job is getting done, and done well.  As long as the media doesn't stir up a hornets nest about  Keenum-Bradford-Bridgewater AND the team doesn't get twisted up in locker room shenanigans, these guys could go a long, long way.

So, is Shurmur an HC candidate again?  Yep.  Will he leave? . . . who knows, maybe he wants a ring or 3 and this is the defense to get it with.

Archived