Shurmur for sure...

vike daddy

Lets not forget, last time Shurmur was looking for a job he couldn't even find a job as an offensive coordinator and had to settle for a TE coach job. Finding a HC job would be a pretty big step from where he was. If a team is interested in him as head coach I wouldn't blame him for being interested in listening to them and taking a HC job if it is offered.

Another thing to consider is which jobs will be available? Looking around the league I only see three spots that are all but guaranteed to be looking for a new coach, a couple of decent possibilities, and three outside possibilities. 

We pretty much know that Cleveland, Indianapolis, and the Giants will be looking for new head coaches. I think that there’s a good chance that Cincinnati and Chicago will be looking as well, but with the ownership in Cincinnati you never know, and a first year QB might keep Fox safe for one more year. 

Arizona, Dallas, and Green Bay would be my outside possibilities. If Ariens’ health forces him to retire, the Cardinals job will be up for grabs. You never really know what Jerry Jones will do, especially after really bad seasons that were filled with hope. And the Packers have been exposed as a fairly poor team without Rodgers, and with some internal turmoil tearing its head last year after the playoff loss to Atlanta, McCarthy might be used as the scape goat. 

The Minnesota Vikings have been incredible on third-and-short. They rank third in the NFL, converting 63.9% of third downs with six or fewer yards to go. Quarterback Case Keenum has completed 73.3% of his passes in those situations with 8.3 yards per attempt, three touchdowns, zero interceptions, one sack and a 114.2 quarterback rating. Stefon Diggs has been a particularly successful target on third-and-short, catching 14 passes on 17 attempts with 12 first downs and three touchdowns. Kyle Rudolph has nine catches in those situations and has nine first downs.

The numbers are dramatically different on third-and-long. With more than six yards to go, Keenum has gained just 5.9 yards per attempt, thrown zero touchdowns, two interceptions and managed a 58.6 rating. It goes without saying that third-and-long is difficult for most quarterbacks, but 24 quarterbacks (with more than 40 attempts) are averaging more yards per attempt on third-and-long than Keenum.

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/12/vikings-key-keep-keenum-rolling-third-short-success/

On 11/30/2017 at 10:13 AM, SemperFeist said:

Another thing to consider is which jobs will be available? Looking around the league I only see three spots that are all but guaranteed to be looking for a new coach, a couple of decent possibilities, and three outside possibilities. 

We pretty much know that Cleveland, Indianapolis, and the Giants will be looking for new head coaches. I think that there’s a good chance that Cincinnati and Chicago will be looking as well, but with the ownership in Cincinnati you never know, and a first year QB might keep Fox safe for one more year. 

Arizona, Dallas, and Green Bay would be my outside possibilities. If Ariens’ health forces him to retire, the Cardinals job will be up for grabs. You never really know what Jerry Jones will do, especially after really bad seasons that were filled with hope. And the Packers have been exposed as a fairly poor team without Rodgers, and with some internal turmoil tearing its head last year after the playoff loss to Atlanta, McCarthy might be used as the scape goat. 

I see the following openings:

Guaranteed: Cleveland, Chicago, NY Giants, Indianapolis, Tampa Bay

Possible: Denver, NY Jets, Cincinnati, Arizona...and dark-horse chance...Kansas City

I think we're looking at probably 8 openings, which means that Shurmur will definitely have a fair shot to get another gig.

The Vikings have been much better in the red zone over the past month, there’s a reason for that. After a 14-7 win over Atlanta on Sunday at Mercedes-Benz Stadium, tight end Kyle Rudolph said the Vikings during their bye week had two practices in which they worked on nothing but plays in the red zone.

Rudolph: “For two days on the bye week, all we practiced were red zones and third downs in the red zones. It’s been a point of emphasis, not only us on offense but our defense. They’re holding teams, they’re stopping them on third downs in red zones, and they’re holding them to field goals, and we’re converting third downs and scoring touchdowns.’’

http://www.twincities.com/2017/12/03/practice-pays-off-as-vikings-look-good-in-red-zone/

30 minutes ago, disaacs said:

I see the following openings:

Guaranteed: Cleveland, Chicago, NY Giants, Indianapolis, Tampa Bay

Possible: Denver, NY Jets, Cincinnati, Arizona...and dark-horse chance...Kansas City

I think we're looking at probably 8 openings, which means that Shurmur will definitely have a fair shot to get another gig.

I have a tough time seeing Denver get rid of a first year coach, with no QB, and i think Bowles in NY is safe. He’s had a much better year than people were predicting. 

And im not willing to guarantee that Tampa Bay or Chicago coaches are gone. 

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I have a tough time seeing Denver get rid of a first year coach, with no QB, and i think Bowles in NY is safe. He’s had a much better year than people were predicting. 

And im not willing to guarantee that Tampa Bay or Chicago coaches are gone. 

Plus Cleveland due to the fact they already let him go once.

18 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Plus Cleveland due to the fact they already let him go once.

While Joseph may not have a QB, he appears, on all accounts, to be in over his head, which is why it's still possible.  You can't lose 8 in a row, regardless of whether you have a QB or not, and expect to not be on the hot seat.

I do think Tampa Bay and Chicago are guarantees though...Tampa had big expectations this season, and have been a mess almost from the start, and Winston has underperformed, despite having a supposed QB guru as his head coach.  Koetter's done.  And if the Bears lose out, you can't go 6-10, 3-13, and 3-13 again and expect to get another year.  Fox's done too. 

1 minute ago, disaacs said:

While Joseph may not have a QB, he appears, on all accounts, to be in over his head, which is why it's still possible.  You can't lose 8 in a row, regardless of whether you have a QB or not, and expect to not be on the hot seat.

I do think Tampa Bay and Chicago are guarantees though...Tampa had big expectations this season, and have been a mess almost from the start, and Winston has underperformed, despite having a supposed QB guru as his head coach.  Koetter's done.  And if the Bears lose out, you can't go 6-10, 3-13, and 3-13 again and expect to get another year.  Fox's done too. 

Definitely. Fingers crossed we get Shurmur for another season though.

The first chip falls (or the first potential opportunity for Shurmur)....

The New York Giants cleaned house on Monday, firing head coach Ben McAdoo and general manager Jerry Reese in the midst of a 2-10 season.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21665997/new-york-giants-fire-coach-ben-mcadoo-two-seasons

I don't think it's likely a fit, but it depends upon who they hire as GM...if they go after our guy, George Paton, then who knows.  I think that would be a job that Paton would be intrigued by, considering the Giants' history of organizational stability.

Archived