Shurmur for sure...

vike daddy

5 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

And truthfully I'd rather go with Priefer than Shurmur.

for what, head coach? why?

i don't understand this fascination fans have with Priefer being in line for a head coaching job for us, it would be a step down. he's not even managing special teams well this year.

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i don't understand this fascination fans have with Priefer being in line for a head coaching job for us, it would be a step down. he's not even managing special teams well this year.

Agreed.  I do hope that Shurmur sticks around for another year though, so he can prepare Stefanski to take over the OC job when he does go (as I think that's Stefanski's eventual role...even though I don't think he's quite ready for it yet).  

46 minutes ago, disaacs said:

The first chip falls (or the first potential opportunity for Shurmur)....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21665997/new-york-giants-fire-coach-ben-mcadoo-two-seasons

I don't think it's likely a fit, but it depends upon who they hire as GM...if they go after our guy, George Paton, then who knows.  I think that would be a job that Paton would be intrigued by, considering the Giants' history of organizational stability.

Not to veer this thread off too much, but just minutes after writing this, the rumors have already started on Twitter with people asking about Paton.  I really think he's been waiting for a job like this...if they are interested, this might finally be the gig that he leaves for...and potentially (not guaranteed certainly) could make it a landing spot for Shurmur, who certainly knows the NFC East very well.  

15 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Last week was a bad week for us. Overall Priefer is doing a good job this year even after losing his stud in Cordarrelle Patterson.

Add in that he has a long history of success and I think teams will find that appealing.

Why is accepting a head coaching job elsewhere a step down?

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

we are 32nd in net punting.

Terrible stat to base how well a team is, or isn’t, punting. As it doesn’t take into account where the team is punting from. Considering that most of our drives stall out around midfield, the 40 yards we’re netting per punt is putting the defense in good position. 

And we’re about middle of the pack when it comes to percentage of punts inside the 20. 

6 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

we are 32nd in net punting.

We are also dead last in Extra Point efficiency. I put that more on Forbath though.

At one point we were best in the league at punt return yardage against us too.

I think he's a legit option VD. Maybe not a big name, but I think he would do fine if given an opportunity somewhere.

not to hijack the thread in to one about special teams and Priefer, but we have not improved in that area this year. which is Proefer's responsibility.

but hey, we're 10-2 so something's going right.

still, i don't see the head coaching mantle being sent to Preifer, and don't see how he has earned the consideration.

36 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

hopefully all our guys are tied up in to early February, and many teams will need to make their moves before then.

With NYG essentially starting its search on December 4, waiting until February 5 to get their guy would be a long time to wait.

35 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I'd actually love to see a Paton/Shurmur/Keenum combo somewhere.

It would be just terrible for us, but it would be entertaining to see how that would play out.

As would the Spielman/Stefanski/Bridgewater combo that would be left in place here.  :)

It also certainly would open up the position of Asst. GM for Jamaal Stephenson (if he wants it).  

Archived