Browns General Discussion

candyman93

7 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Yeah I said it when we traded and signed Watson to that contract that stefanskis seat was immediately hotter. There’s no more excuse. Jimmy has no patience and will want to go big game hunting if we don’t win this year. Someone who goes well with Watson. 

I mean, yes, but also he hasn’t even had a chance to coach Watson yet lol

Payton would be hard to say no to either way, but he’s a guy who had the bulk of his success with a HOF QB.  I think we can all agree it’s a whole lot easier to look smart with a guy like that at QB as opposed to Mayfield or Brissett.

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

The only way I fire Stefanski is if he keeps Woods and Priefer next year, because that would mean he’s stubborn.

Berry needs to make him do so if Stef doesn't already have that in the cards. I'm afraid we're not going to get a prime candidate to replace Woods, though, since if we do keep Stefanski (still an iffy proposition with trigger Jimmy) he essentially has one year to win or his head is next on the Haslam block and everyone knows that so if there are openings with more job security those will take priority.

11 minutes ago, dawgdish said:

Berry needs to make him do so if Stef doesn't already have that in the cards. I'm afraid we're not going to get a prime candidate to replace Woods, though, since if we do keep Stefanski (still an iffy proposition with trigger Jimmy) he essentially has one year to win or his head is next on the Haslam block and everyone knows that so if there are openings with more job security those will take priority.

On the flip side I’d imagine a lot of guys would love to have 5-6 man depth at corner and other pieces like JJIII, Garrett, JOK, etc.

Pair that with the fact that if they can put a middling product on the field, job security shouldn’t be an issue.

General discussion points:

It doesn't seem to matter who we put back to field punts, they all suck at catching the ball. That seems like a major red flag, but I'm no special teams coordinator.

It doesn't seem to matter who blows a coverage, whether it's Delpit, JOK, or JJ3. Dudes are getting lost for wide open TD. By my count, that's at least 6 blown coverage TD this year/absolute layups. That doesn't happen to other teams in the NFL. But, I'm no defensive coordinator.

This team can't stop the run, and I actually blame our FO for not investing in the DT and LB positions.

We turn the ball over too much, and I blame our FO for thinking that Brissett would be the answer for more than a 4 game stretch. He's an elite backup QB who gives you a shot over about a 4-5 game stretch, but after that, he's going to really struggle, especially against good defenses.

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

On the flip side I’d imagine a lot of guys would love to have 5-6 man depth at corner and other pieces like JJIII, Garrett, JOK, etc.

Pair that with the fact that if they can put a middling product on the field, job security shouldn’t be an issue.

As long as Slippin' Jimmy is in the corner office, the issue of job security is always at least a specter hovering over Berea. I also wonder what he opinion of Stefanski is among the rank and file of NFL coaches and front offices. Relative unknown who had some surprising success in the weird covid season, and since then not much success. I guess on paper the roster is compelling, but all best laid plans are until they are met with reality. Hope I'm wrong and we snag a Zimmer type dude, but other openings may look more compelling next offseason than the Browns (who really would have looked compelling this offseason...which is when we should have replaced Woods and Priefer in hindsight).

• Like 2

Just now, dawgdish said:

As long as Slippin' Jimmy is in the corner office, the issue of job security is always at least a specter hovering over Berea.

Love the BCS reference.

Just now, dawgdish said:

I also wonder what he opinion of Stefanski is among the rank and file of NFL coaches and front offices. Relative unknown who had some surprising success in the weird covid season, and since then not much success.

Well, he’s certainly shown he’s willing to give his coordinators a lot of freedom lol.

Just now, dawgdish said:

I guess on paper the roster is compelling, but all best laid plans are until they are met with reality. Hope I'm wrong and we snag a Zimmer type dude, but other openings may look more compelling next offseason than the Browns (who really would have looked compelling this offseason...which is when we should have replaced Woods and Priefer in hindsight).

Zimmer would be great, but he’ll also be 67 and may not wanna do this ish any longer.  He’d be ideal imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dawgdish said:

As long as Slippin' Jimmy is in the corner office, the issue of job security is always at least a specter hovering over Berea. I also wonder what he opinion of Stefanski is among the rank and file of NFL coaches and front offices. Relative unknown who had some surprising success in the weird covid season, and since then not much success. I guess on paper the roster is compelling, but all best laid plans are until they are met with reality. Hope I'm wrong and we snag a Zimmer type dude, but other openings may look more compelling next offseason than the Browns (who really would have looked compelling this offseason...which is when we should have replaced Woods and Priefer in hindsight).

Stefanski is the last thing wrong with this this team. He has been given Jacoby Brissett and Baker Mayfield at QB to work with and Baker as we know now, is the worst starting QB in the league statistically. Maybe we need to look back and say wow, Stefanski got the absolute most out of Baker in 2020 because he has never been that good since.

Can we at least see what Stefanski can do with a actual QB like Watson for a year or two before calling for his job because Im confident he is the best HC this team has had since Bill Belichick

He got the absolute most out of Baker who has looked beyond horrible this year in a different system and he has Jacoby playing arguably the best football of his career this season.

Maybe Stefanski is actually really good but Browns fans/media have a fetish for firing coaches whenever they have a 2 game losing streak or somehow blame the offensive HC for the defense losing the Browns all of these games.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Stefanski is the last thing wrong with this this team. He has been given Jacoby Brissett and Baker Mayfield at QB to work with and Baker as we know now, is the worst starting QB in the league statistically. Maybe we need to look back and say wow, Stefanski got the absolute most out of Baker in 2020 because he has never been that good since.

Can we at least see what Stefanski can do with a actual QB like Watson for a year or two before calling for his job because Im confident he is the best HC this team has had since Bill Belichick

He got the absolute most out of Baker who has looked beyond horrible this year in a different system and he has Jacoby playing arguably the best football of his career this season.

Maybe Stefanski is actually really good but Browns fans/media have a fetish for firing coaches whenever they have a 2 game losing streak or somehow blame the offensive HC for the defense losing the Browns all of these games.

^^^^

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

A leader that the troops don't respect, ok.....

New Girl Reaction GIF

Edited by MSURacerDT55

My biggest issue with Stefanski is the lack of ownership or involvement regarding the defense.

It’s like he views he and Woods and Priefer as all equals, coworkers, almost like managers of different departments in the same company instead of having them having accountability to him and him being responsible for their performance.

Stefanski needs to focus on being a HC right now or before long he’ll get his wish and just be running an offense somewhere else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

A leader that the troops don't respect, ok.....

New Girl Reaction GIF

Who doesnt respect him? I havent heard a single player have gripes with him and he also is the first CLE coach I can remember that shoulders all of the blame after losses and never throws his players under the bus. Eventually its gotta be on the players to step up and handle business.

The Browns have the 7th ranked offense in the NFL right now with Jacoby **** Brissett at QB.

If anything the Browns need a leader ON the field. They have no leadership from a player standpoint. Nobody who is going to step up and own these things, nobody to chew guys out on the sideline, nothing. Your paying Garrett/Ward/Chubb mega money but none of them are vocal leaders that hold others accountable.

Dare I say.......this team desperately misses Jarvis Landry.

Edited by AkronsWitness

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

I'm not arguing for firing Stefanski by any means - I'm saying for a prime DC candidate, the prospect of joining his coaching staff next year in what is certainly going to be a one year "prove it" season (if he slips past Jimmy's trigger this year) may not be the most appealing prospect out there.