Browns General Discussion

candyman93

47 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

@candyman93 you're a pretty with it person on cap and such. How would these potential trades impact the rollover cap? Who are some guys over the next several months via trade or cut that could free up some space/how does it look?

Just something to consider, our cap is 184 (or 182.9)and the cap floor is 180 so no matter how many trades we make you'll only get 4 more million in rollover cap.

So my guess, and I'm no expert, is we can roll over 3 or 4 million more (a couple different numbers show up between OTC and Sorttrac). If we make cuts that take us below 180 the difference will be divided equally among players to reach the 180 so there would be no additional roll over.

So to make multiple trades you are doing it for future picks. Hunt alone would pretty much put us to the floor. If you know you aren't resigning players and think you can get more than the comp system you can do it if you are giving up on the season, which realistically makes sense.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

@candyman93 you're a pretty with it person on cap and such. How would these potential trades impact the rollover cap? Who are some guys over the next several months via trade or cut that could free up some space/how does it look?

We free up 5 mil moving Kareem. So I think he’s a lock to get moved first. Greedy frees up about 1.4 mil.

We financially can’t move JJIII or Conklin.

Something fans got to realize is that rookies are EXTREMELY cheap. I’m talking everybody taken after round 2 is under 2 mil. So even if the player in question sucks, they’ll keep them as cheap depth. Greedy is different because his contract is up after this year.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

We free up 5 mil moving Kareem. So I think he’s a lock to get moved first. Greedy frees up about 1.4 mil.

We financially can’t move JJIII or Conklin.

Something fans got to realize is that rookies are EXTREMELY cheap. I’m talking everybody taken after round 2 is under 2 mil. So even if the player in question sucks, they’ll keep them as cheap depth. Greedy is different because his contract is up after this year.

So I don’t know how it works during the season. Do we free up 5M or do we free up whatever is remaining on his contract? Im guessing it’ll be more like 2M

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

Unless you're the Jets.

Geno Smith, Tannehill, Cousins, Rush, Mariota... A lot of not great QBs are winning games.

Not great QB's are still better than who we have IMO. And Cousins is the thesis of "average" IMO. Same with Tannehill. 

Smith has a weird career arc right now.

49 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Just something to consider, our cap is 184 (or 182.9)and the cap floor is 180 so no matter how many trades we make you'll only get 4 more million in rollover cap.

This is exactly what I was looking for.

So, from a rollover cap standpoint:

44 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

These two would make the most sense, unless Conklin somehow frees up more and gets moved.

57 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah, we're talking about the future. We aren't getting a #1 WR this year.

In 23 and 24 it is 24 million. It drops to 7.5 in 25 and 3.75 in 26 but he isn't signed for those two years.

As of now, yes, but that deal can also be extended/reworked. 

Using a number he isn’t being paid currently and isn’t guaranteed to be paid next season as a basis for his worth/value is a bit disingenuous. 

59 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

This is exactly why teams like the ravens and pats love loading up on mid rounders.  Cheap, talented depth to supplement your proven stars.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This is exactly why teams like the ravens and pats love loading up on mid rounders.  Cheap, talented depth to supplement your proven stars.

And also why they let so many fringe guys go in free agency. Let the high priced fringe guys walk and replace them with a dude making 1/30th as much for 90% of the production, unless he's a key piece at a key position, in which case they lock him up long term.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

This is exactly what I was looking for.

So, from a rollover cap standpoint:

These two would make the most sense, unless Conklin somehow frees up more and gets moved.

I’m assuming they could also rework some deals to take a larger cap hit this year if they wanted by converting salary to bonus payable this season.

If they traded away significant salaries anyway.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

As of now, yes, but that deal can also be extended/reworked. 

Using a number he isn’t being paid currently and isn’t guaranteed to be paid next season as a basis for his worth/value is a bit disingenuous. 

The conversation was what is needed (next year). Next year he would be a "fantastic #2". This year he is clearly our #1.

Yes we can technically rework every contract every year. It isn't being disingenuous, Watson is due 55 million next year. We could rework him but the only number you can accurately attribute to him is what he is due. It would be disingenuous to put any other number to it other than what the contract states at the time.