Browns General Discussion

candyman93

It’s been funny watching Kareem Hunt do the equivalent of “quiet quitting.” 

We also still don’t have a 2nd pass rusher with 3 or more sacks. We have to get 13 more sacks to match last years output. Can we stop saying the defense is talented? You can get 4-5 sacks from pure raw talent.

Edited by candyman93

5 hours ago, candyman93 said:

We also still don’t have a 2nd pass rusher with 3 or more sacks. We have to get 13 more sacks to match last years output. Can we stop saying the defense is talented? You can get 4-5 sacks from pure raw talent.

I'd love to see this defense without Joe Woods at the helm

Kareem plays hard. Not sure why you think he’s quit. His production is down, but the dude fights for yards.

We do have talent in defense.

Garrett, Clowney, JOK, Ward, Newsome, Greedy, Emerson, and Delpit all have the potential to be very good—Or already are very good.

We don’t have any talent at MLB or DT. Nor do we have any depth at DE. But there is too much talent to be this fundamentally and schematically bad. Missing tackles, not jamming receivers despite being a zone team, insisting on playing with two Wide-9’s when teams are cramming it down our throat…

We have 4 very good to great corners. Yet, we insist on giving up yardage underneath all game long in vanilla zones. You can put trash cans at corner if you’re gonna run a zone scheme. Why are we even investing in the position to get all these stud press cover corners and then playing them off the line 7-10 yards?

I think it’s hard to evaluate these defensive players with the clear-as-day moron we have running the show. Not 1 player has thrived in his scheme. Even Garrett looks to be having a down year, based on the talent he has. He just speed rushes up the field every play and makes some splashes, but he’s not snap-by-snap consistently good. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Kareem plays hard. Not sure why you think he’s quit. His production is down, but the dude fights for yards.

eh, he doesn’t look like the dude we’ve seen in the past.  Less effort, a step slower, idk, but he ain’t that dude.  Or at least he hasn’t been this season.

3 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

We do have talent in defense.

Garrett, Clowney, JOK, Ward, Newsome, Greedy, Emerson, and Delpit all have the potential to be very good—Or already are very good.

We don’t have any talent at MLB or DT. Nor do we have any depth at DE. But there is too much talent to be this fundamentally and schematically bad. Missing tackles, not jamming receivers despite being a zone team, insisting on playing with two Wide-9’s when teams are cramming it down our throat…

We have 4 very good to great corners. Yet, we insist on giving up yardage underneath all game long in vanilla zones. You can put trash cans at corner if you’re gonna run a zone scheme. Why are we even investing in the position to get all these stud press cover corners and then playing them off the line 7-10 yards?

I think it’s hard to evaluate these defensive players with the clear-as-day moron we have running the show. Not 1 player has thrived in his scheme. Even Garrett looks to be having a down year, based on the talent he has. He just speed rushes up the field every play and makes some splashes, but he’s not snap-by-snap consistently good. 

Yep

Right now I am of the opinion that Browns-Steelers stopped being a rivalry when the Browns started consistently missing the playoffs in the 1990s. As of now, our last sweep of them was in 1988, and our last time finishing above them was 1989, also our last division title.

Before the Modell move, the Browns never fired a coach that failed to beat the Steelers. Since the move they've done it three times.

Steelers fans share my view that it is not a rivalry they now consider the Ravens their big rivals.

But if we beat the Steelers in week 18 my view could change.

1 hour ago, pf9 said:

Right now I am of the opinion that Browns-Steelers stopped being a rivalry when the Browns started consistently missing the playoffs in the 1990s. As of now, our last sweep of them was in 1988, and our last time finishing above them was 1989, also our last division title.

Before the Modell move, the Browns never fired a coach that failed to beat the Steelers. Since the move they've done it three times.

Steelers fans share my view that it is not a rivalry they now consider the Ravens their big rivals.

agreed.

1 hour ago, pf9 said:

But if we beat the Steelers in week 18 my view could change.

Lol no.  One game in a meaningless season for both franchises isn’t gonna change anything.  The rivalry won’t be what it once was until both teams are fighting for playoff spots and competing for division titles with one another consistently.

Looking at the rest of the AFC and here are your perennial playoff teams going forward:

Buffalo - Josh Allen

Kansas City - Patrick Mahomes

Cincinnati - Joe Burrow

Jacksonville (Titans need a QB) - Trevor Lawrence

So these 4 will be your consistent division winners. Then you have the next group:

Baltimore - Lamar Jackson

Los Angeles - Justin Herbert

These two SHOULD make the playoffs regularly.

However, after the top 6 it’s a free for all. Once Watson gets back to himself, that could give us a slight edge.

Edited by candyman93

Also, this is going to sound absurd, but I wonder if sacks are becoming an overrated stat. Other than Mahomes, the best QBs are getting smacked like crazy.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/player

Schematically speaking, as long as your QB is attacking deep, it’s okay if they keep their eyes down field and take longer to throw the ball away.

They also almost all have 10+ interceptions. So it’s like the reward of a big play is worth all of the potential negatives.

Edited by candyman93

We host the Jaguars next season. It should be the Thanksgiving night game, which would be our first in 34 years, and Jacksonville's first ever.

Increasing its appeal is the fact that it would feature two QBs who led Clemson to CFP titles. I want Lawrence/Watson to be a Brady/Manning-style rivalry.

18 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Looking at the rest of the AFC and here are your perennial playoff teams going forward:

Buffalo - Josh Allen

Kansas City - Patrick Mahomes

Cincinnati - Joe Burrow

Jacksonville (Titans need a QB) - Trevor Lawrence

So these 4 will be your consistent division winners. Then you have the next group:

Baltimore - Lamar Jackson

Los Angeles - Justin Herbert

These two SHOULD make the playoffs regularly.

However, after the top 6 it’s a free for all. Once Watson gets back to himself, that could give us a slight edge.

Not sure about Lamar. He has 33 TD and 20 interceptions over the last two seasons (24 games). He has been mediocre at best and that's factoring in his running. Harbaugh seems to have more to do with their winning, while maybe not an all time great coach he keeps them motivated. I'm not 100% sure the Ravens even strike a deal with Jackson.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Also, this is going to sound absurd, but I wonder if sacks are becoming an overrated stat. Other than Mahomes, the best QBs are getting smacked like crazy.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/player

Schematically speaking, as long as your QB is attacking deep, it’s okay if they keep their eyes down field and take longer to throw the ball away.

They also almost all have 10+ interceptions. So it’s like the reward of a big play is worth all of the potential negatives.

Sacks and picks aren’t bad or whatever per se, it’s the timing of them.  If it’s 3rd down and you’re out of FG range, a sack doesn’t mean much.  It means you’re punting from a bit further.  Same with a pick of you’re pushing it down the field.  It’s essentially a punt.

The problem becomes when those plays take points off the board.

1 minute ago, Thomas5737 said:

Not sure about Lamar. He has 33 TD and 20 interceptions over the last two seasons (24 games). He has been mediocre at best and that's factoring in his running. Harbaugh seems to have more to do with their winning, while maybe not an all time great coach he keeps them motivated. I'm not 100% sure the Ravens even strike a deal with Jackson.

He’s a hard dude to try to put a proper valuation on because of how he wins/plays.