Browns General Discussion

candyman93

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I agree with this, I'm saying AND DO NOT TAKE FROM IT.

Total disagreement here. It's a government mandate and both parties have done this going on 5 Presidential administrations now. It's not a partisan thing at this point. 

I mean, the fact that it’s not even a partisan issue should show there’s a reason for it.  Both sides know it’s a necessity even if it’s imperfect. 

I'm simply stating that they're doing fine, not saying that they don't deserve reevaluation. Tuition was 400 minimum wage hours in 1980. Today it's over 2400 minimum wage hours. Predatory interest rates with loans are a byproduct of this issue IMO. Fix tuition and you won't need to address the other AS MUCH, albeit you will to some degree.

yeah the fix has to come from multiple avenues. But ya know, I might just have a solution… 😉 

100% agreement, and that was literally my point.

Throw in a basic pension and retirement plan which is as follows:

Age 60:

1% x Your top 3 year average x years of service (EX: $100K x .01 x 20 = $20K a year divided by 12 months and that's your monthly takeaway)

Age 62:

1.1% x Your top 3 year average x years of service (Ex: $100K x .011 x 20 = $22K a year divided by 12 months and that's your monthly takeaway)

Social Security (Do the math specific to you)

401K TSP plan, which matches 5% dollar for dollar.

I get that, I'm just using a retort as well as being more towards the window on the other side, so that comment you made earlier means about as much to me as the one I used does to you. :) 

fair.

What I'm saying is, fixing it starts with not taking from it, most if not all agree on that.

we take from it because we can’t get funding elsewhere because congress is useless by and large. 

not saying it’s right or wrong, just stating the reality. 

And here's the rub:

One party claims to be advocates for the middle class while actually helping the rich, all while using social security, medicare, and others as bargaining chips.

One party claims to be advocates for the lower to middle class while actually helping the poor and bailing out the rich, all while banging the "tax the rich" drum.

yes.  That’s why people should stop voting for those people. Or stop expecting change.  One or the other.

When you earn a certain amount of money by working above/beyond your time and it's then taxed because it bumps you into the next bracket, I take issue with that. The 60 hour weeks I pulled last year would have been financially better if I pulled 40 after tax season. That smarts a bit.

I mean, that’s not how taxes work.  You’re only bumped into the next bracket if you actually go into that next bracket at the end of the year, and only that income is taxed at that rate.  Your whole income isn’t taxed at that next rate.

You may see more withheld on a particular paycheck but that issues resolved when you file. 

• Like 1

Even if you do end up bumping up to the next tax bracket, based on your job, the fact that you’re married and have 3 dependents, have mentioned contributions to an IRA/HSA, etc. the difference would be a 2% increase.

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/taxes/taxes-federal-income-tax-bracket/

I can’t see paying an extra 2% as a deterrent to OT personally.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, that’s not how taxes work.  You’re only bumped into the next bracket if you actually go into that next bracket at the end of the year, and only that income is taxed at that rate.  Your whole income isn’t taxed at that next rate.

You may see more withheld on a particular paycheck but that issues resolved when you file. 

When you add up the OT pay and it bumps you into the next bracket for end of year earnings, that hurts. I wasn't clear on that earlier, but that was a reality. :) 

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

When you add up the OT pay and it bumps you into the next bracket for end of year earnings, that hurts. I wasn't clear on that earlier, but that was a reality. :) 

Only the earnings in the next bracket are taxed at that rate which unless you’re making a **** ton more money any any teacher I’ve ever known would be a 2% increase. 

The link has a table that illustrates what I mean. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Only the earnings in the next bracket are taxed at that rate which unless you’re making a **** ton more money any any teacher I’ve ever known would be a 2% increase. 

The link has a table that illustrates what I mean. 

I'm aware my dude. When you're talking about losing a couple grand at the end of the year after giving up 20 hours a week from your family/free time for 6 months out of the year, that's a major kick to the gonads. 

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

3. The Bible does talk about the LOVE of money being the root of all evil, but there's also nothing wrong with wealth in and of itself.

Matthew 19:21-24

Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.

Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”

Nothing wrong with wealth other than Jesus himself said you should give up all your possessions to the poor and follow him, and that its easier to shove a 1000+ lb animal though a 5mm hole than for a rich person to make it to heaven.

I wonder what Jesus would think about complaining about your tax bracket when people around you are suffering. 

Probably not impressed.

Carry on 

Edited by Dome

11 minutes ago, Dome said:

Matthew 19:21-24

Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.

Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”

Nothing wrong with wealth other than Jesus himself said you should give up all your possessions to the poor and follow him, and that its easier to shove a 1000+ lb animal though a 5mm hole than for a rich person to make it to heaven.

I wonder what Jesus would think about complaining about your tax bracket when people around you are suffering. 

Probably not impressed.

Carry on 

You do realize the context of this interaction, correct? It was to a specific man at a specific time speaking about the cost of being one of his disciples, and the fact that the man went away sad was an indicator of how he valued his wealth over being a disciple.

Not all scripture is prescriptive, some is descriptive, such as the passage above. I love having theological conversations and debates, but the context of this passage has nothing to do with that.

1 Timothy 6 10-12 states: 

10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.

11 But as for you, O man of God, flee these things. Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness. 12 Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called and about which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.

So I say this with respect Dome, and mean no offense, stay in your lane and don't try to put yourself as judge over me in the place of Jesus my dude.

You don't know me, my family, or anything about what I'm going through, so presuming as much is nothing short of interesting on that end, especially considering I legitimately give away 10% of every single check that I make, which is the conviction(s) that my wife and I hold to.

Still love you though.

1 minute ago, Dome said:

“Jesus didn’t mean me, I don’t have to follow the example he gave, that was for other people”

always the same **** with you guys lol 

Not at all what I said or how I live my life man. You want to be a cynic towards Christians, by all means continue, there's plenty of examples unfortunately. This is more of a sit down conversation or else if you want my testimony, by all means ask me and I'll PM you. I'm not a perfect person. I do believe in serving and loving others, I do give 1/10th of what I earn, and practice what I preach in that, otherwise I wouldn't serve as a deacon in my church and help others in need.

There are plenty of warnings about the love of wealth.

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

You and Dennis Rader, serving your communities.

(im just busting balls lol)

Like I said, I think you’d find most of us legitimate evangelical Christians are angrier with charlatans who use their false platform to screw people than other nonbelievers. 

• Like 1