Browns General Discussion

candyman93

13 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

idk how true it is but I hope we sign him. We need as much help as we can get at lb

He is really bad though. He had a good year or two with Jacksonville, but fell off significantly. He would be a Deion Jones signing. That said, he is good enough to be on the roster, even if he’s not a fix for what ails us. Just don’t expect him to be a difference maker.

I think we have a solid starting 3. What we lack is any depth and only 1 player with the upside to be a + starter (JOK). It’s an average and injury prone group with horrendous depth. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

anyone on our roster apart from JOK.

Walker & Takitaki are definitely better than Deion Jones. He was awful last year. Takitaki and Walker were slightly below average, but they at least fit where they were supposed to in the run game. Jones freelanced at the levels of Jamie Collins last year & it killed us. 

13 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

He is really bad though. He had a good year or two with Jacksonville, but fell off significantly. He would be a Deion Jones signing. That said, he is good enough to be on the roster, even if he’s not a fix for what ails us. Just don’t expect him to be a difference maker.

I think we have a solid starting 3. What we lack is any depth and only 1 player with the upside to be a + starter (JOK). It’s an average and injury prone group with horrendous depth. 

He might not be that good but he’s better than what we have right now. He had 104 tackles last year. Taki had 70. Our 2 leading tackles were safties because our LBs can’t tackle a damn thing. He’s worth a shot. You just can’t go into the season with the same garbage at LB and expect anything to be different. 

3 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

He might not be that good but he’s better than what we have right now. He had 104 tackles last year. Taki had 70. Our 2 leading tackles were safties because our LBs can’t tackle a damn thing. He’s worth a shot. You just can’t go into the season with the same garbage at LB and expect anything to be different. 

First of all, tackles are a useless stat.

Secondly, while no scheme will make those guys awesome, we did out LB’s a huge disservice under Woods. We hardly ever ran with 2 linebackers, hardly ever rolled down a S to give us appropriate box math, and we inexplicably taught those guys to go underneath blocks, making our presnap alignment deficiencies even worse.

I think we have two meh guys, one future megastar (JOK), and then abysmal depth outside of Fields, who is a fringe roster guy.

1 minute ago, BetterCallSaul said:

First of all, tackles are a useless stat.

Secondly, while no scheme will make those guys awesome, we did out LB’s a huge disservice under Woods. We hardly ever ran with 2 linebackers, hardly ever rolled down a S to give us appropriate box math, and we inexplicably taught those guys to go underneath blocks, making our presnap alignment deficiencies even worse.

I think we have two meh guys, one future megastar (JOK), and then abysmal depth outside of Fields, who is a fringe roster guy.

Tackles aren’t a useless stat. They are overrated but not useless. Getting a ball handler to the ground counts for something. Which jack is better than any of our LBs. yes the scheme had something to do with it last year but we seen every game our LBs getting ran over or not able to wrap up. 

13 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Tackles aren’t a useless stat. They are overrated but not useless. Getting a ball handler to the ground counts for something. Which jack is better than any of our LBs. yes the scheme had something to do with it last year but we seen every game our LBs getting ran over or not able to wrap up. 

Going on my 16th year coaching linebackers, I can tell you that every year, our worst linebacker leads the team in tackles. Why? Because our studs fit the run correctly and it spills out to the others. Our best linebackers force cutbacks—they don’t make a ton of tackles.

In my experience, there is no more overrated stat than tackles without immense context behind it. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Going on my 16th year coaching linebackers, I can tell you that every year, our worst linebacker leads the team in tackles. Why? Because our studs fit the run correctly and it spills out to the others. Our best linebackers force cutbacks—they don’t make a ton of tackles.

In my experience, there is no more overrated stat than tackles without immense context behind it. 

Additionally, a tackle isn’t a tackle, they aren’t all weighted the same.

Working through a block and making a stop after a half yard gain isn’t the same thing as getting taken for a ride for 5 yards before the ball carrier finally trips over your useless arse.

Tackles to me are as relevant as receptions for a WR. Having a lot isn’t a bad thing obv, but it doesn’t mean much.

5 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Again I agree tackles are overrated but it’s still more than what our guys did. JJ3 and Delpit lead the team in tackles. That’s not a good thing. I don’t care if a LB gets carried 5 yards and makes a tackle. It’s better than our safeties making it 15 yards down the field. 

• Like 1