Browns General Discussion

candyman93

The running back situation is alarming until Chubb comes back, whenever that is. 

Also I don’t know how much to read into things but keeping four quarterbacks to me is either an obvious sign one is getting traded soon or should be cause for concern regarding Watson’s health.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

The running back situation is alarming until Chubb comes back, whenever that is. 

Also I don’t know how much to read into things but keeping four quarterbacks to me is either an obvious sign one is getting traded soon or should be cause for concern regarding Watson’s health.

Another way to look at the QB situation is asset management and long term planning vs winning now.  

I think if your goal is to win as many games as possible, particularly in the regular season, the you keep Winston and Huntley. 

That said, I think you have to sort of work through the “what ifs”.

If Watson gets hurt and is done for the season again, what are we really doing here?  I think last season is t almost the best case scenario.  Is that the goal?

If he’s down, I think an improved DTR or Huntley or Winston are good enough to look mediocre for a week or two.  If he’s done for the season, none of them are guys I’d look to take us all to the Super Bowl. 

If someone wants to throw an asset at us for a backup, cool.  Unlike last season we have our picks and if Watson can’t finish another season the picture with him is starting to look pretty clear.  Those assets would be more valuable long term than a couple more wins this season. 

57 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah I hope they continue to use him situationally in the run game.  He was a lot of fun in that role last season.

I’d be legitimately shocked if they didn’t as long as Pocic is healthy. And especially with our current RB situation and their inability to break tackles, he provides needed help taking on would be tacklers at the point of attack.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Another way to look at the QB situation is asset management and long term planning vs winning now.  

I think if your goal is to win as many games as possible, particularly in the regular season, the you keep Winston and Huntley. 

That said, I think you have to sort of work through the “what ifs”.

If Watson gets hurt and is done for the season again, what are we really doing here?  I think last season is t almost the best case scenario.  Is that the goal?

If he’s down, I think an improved DTR or Huntley or Winston are good enough to look mediocre for a week or two.  If he’s done for the season, none of them are guys I’d look to take us all to the Super Bowl. 

If someone wants to throw an asset at us for a backup, cool.  Unlike last season we have our picks and if Watson can’t finish another season the picture with him is starting to look pretty clear.  Those assets would be more valuable long term than a couple more wins this season. 

Long term I’m not sure any of those backups have starting ability. I think Jameis is a solid and proven QB2. Huntley and DTR likely fringe roster guys on most teams. Just my opinion. I can see a pick swap type of trade for one of the latter 2 if someone is looking for a QB3 and we aren’t set on holding 4 guys. I’m not sure either of those guys is really the type of asset who you are going to build around long-term. I do agree though that you don’t want to get caught with your pants down at quarterback especially if Watson gets hurt. I agree that those guys are 1-2 week solutions and for me that’s about it. We aren’t making a championship run without Watson and elevated QB play anyhow so that’s the big picture. I just think in my mind this verifies  the idea that there is at least a contingency level of concern that Watson holds up from a FO perspective. 

• Like 1

I believe waivers run through noon today. So I would expect a lot more roster clarity here within the next day. Sometimes we make like 5-7 claims. We may not see quite that many but I think there is still a lot of fluidity with what we see week 1.

Posted (edited)

Looking at that defensive line rotation- Really hoping dudes breakout.

I’m watching Alex Wright and Isaiah McGuire. We went for the “big, strong, and fast” combination at pass rusher. Hopefully those dudes are developed.

I’d like to get Briggs on the practice squad. Need to develop him into a NT.

Edited by candyman93

3 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I despise ford. I don’t get Berrys infatuation with him. I still wish we kept dernest Johnson. He worked well here. Better than ford has ever looked. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I despise ford. I don’t get Berrys infatuation with him. I still wish we kept dernest Johnson. He worked well here. Better than ford has ever looked. 

Berry is going super cheap at RB going forward.

It’s why Chubb won’t be on our roster next year.

Same thing is gonna happen with Bitonio and Teller.

Edited by candyman93

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Berry is going super cheap at RB going forward.

It’s why Chubb won’t be on our roster next year.

As much as I absolutely hate this line of thinking, I at least understand it if you do what Shanahan used to do and draft a guy every single year to come in and make a legitimate impact, whether it was TD, Portis, or any of those other 4-5 players (Reuben Droughns I think) he brought in who produced.

The problem is, we haven’t addressed it via the draft and are just content to throw subpar guys out there, which I flat out don’t agree with.

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

As much as I absolutely hate this line of thinking, I at least understand it if you do what Shanahan used to do and draft a guy every single year to come in and make a legitimate impact, whether it was TD, Portis, or any of those other 4-5 players (Reuben Droughns I think) he brought in who produced.

The problem is, we haven’t addressed it via the draft and are just content to throw subpar guys out there, which I flat out don’t agree with.

We have 3 6th rounders and expect to have 3 7th rounders (York trade and Comp picks) next year.

Berry will most likely use those picks on IOL, RB, TE, and LB.

4 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

We have 3 6th rounders and expect to have 3 7th rounders (York trade and Comp picks) next year.

Berry will most likely use those picks on IOL, RB, TE, and LB.

I’d be surprised if he didn’t draft another CB because he always does and I think Ward will be done in a year.

I don’t see him drafting a LB, I think he continues to plug those with veterans.

And if he’s going to let AB walk and Moore goes too, they need several WR IMO.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I’d be surprised if he didn’t draft another CB because he always does and I think Ward will be done in a year.

I don’t see him drafting a LB, I think he continues to plug those with veterans.

And if he’s going to let AB walk and Moore goes too, they need several WR IMO.

I agree

We are VERY lucky Emerson is ready to carry the torch for Ward.

I’ve felt for awhile he’s gonna draft a WR and LT with our 1st and 2nd round picks. Those make sense in terms of price and value.

He does like to draft linebackers late though because they’re super cheap (Watson, Fields, and UDFA Diabate). Just depends on who is cheaper the late round rookie or vet.

Edited by candyman93