Should the NFL have a hard salary cap?

Tetsujin

23 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

There is, its just rather weak in its implementation. See below from OTC

https://overthecap.com/minimum-cash-spending-does-it-mean-anything/

On the flip side... right now there's still a ton of unspent cap space across the league - about $500 million
Teams need to carry about $ 6-7M each for in season rosters moves, but that still leaves in excess of $225 M in unspent cap space across the league
That's enough for 1-2 more vets for each franchise

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

Yes but some teams can use it as carryover space, so there are some ways around the hard cap, just not as crazy as the NBA gets.  

The NFL and NHL have it right.  I can't get into the NBA because I can never wrap my head around how the money and cap works.  I wish MLB had a salary cap, or at least a salary floor.  

On 7/4/2020 at 4:25 PM, Danger said:

Yes. Next question.

Edit: That said I did like someone's recent suggestion of allowing a particular percentage of the cap that doesn't get counted exactly for a QB signing a long term deal.

Ex: QBs can make up to 18% of the cap, that is not counted towards the actual cap. So when Mahomes reups next offseason, he'd get $39.6M-$41.4M per year (assuming a cap of $220M-$230M) that doesn't count towards the cap.

In short. This doesn't punish a team for actually finding a good QB long term.

This is going to need to happen sooner or later.  As it is, teams are forced to "play the meta" and go with what works.  I'd be only mildly surprised if smart organizations start managing their clubs like a college team, only keeping certain players for their rookie contracts and then recruiting the next guy. 

Comparisons to soccer or basketball make 0 sense to me. Individual players have a significantly greatly influence on winning and losing in those sports because there's 5 people starting on a team at once and 10 people playing at once. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Malik said:

Comparisons to soccer or basketball make 0 sense to me. Individual players have a significantly greatly influence on winning and losing in those sports because there's 5 people starting on a team at once and 10 people playing at once. 

I don't disagree with your overall point, nor the spirit of it, but I will suggest that the number of soccer players who can decide a game all by themselves are few.  Let's say you took the undisputed greatest striker in the world, "The Bosnian Diamond" Edin Dzeko, and gave him little to no service; he's going to have a long day.  Heck, just look at Messi with Argentina.

• Like 1