Should the NFL have a hard salary cap?

Tetsujin

I'm not talking about no cap.

Let's just say a system that'll let you designate 5 *re-signed/extended players that team drafted* to be 50% "off-cap".

Edited by Tetsujin
re-signed/extended players that team drafted

1 hour ago, Tetsujin said:

I'm not talking about no cap.

Let's just say a system that'll let you designate 5 players to be 50% "off-cap".

Nah. 

Parity is good for the league. Why make it easier for the Chiefs to pay out the wazoo for Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, Jones, and Clark? A poorer team like the Dolphins, with a ton of cap and not a ton of talent, has little to gain. The good teams benefit much more than the lesser teams - which is the opposite of parity.

14 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Nah. 

Parity is good for the league. Why make it easier for the Chiefs to pay out the wazoo for Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, Jones, and Clark? A poorer team like the Dolphins, with a ton of cap and not a ton of talent, has little to gain. The good teams benefit much more than the lesser teams - which is the opposite of parity.

It rewards better drafting teams more. They drafted Mahomes, Kelce, Jones and Hill. I got no problem with them trying retaining them. It does leave more room for FA's, which is why I'd limit the amount of original draftees that could be treated this way.

3 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

That’s something I don’t understand about sports fans. What the NFL is doing has worked and will continue to work. Let the NBA and other sports experiment to try and keep up.

Change still happens. There was a time when free agency as we know it didn't exist. I believe the NFL was behind the NBA and MLB there.

6 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

That is already the case.

Meaning no signing bonuses spread over the contract

You can have a lot of guarantees if you want, to ensure players get their money, but no more 5 year 100 Million, 50 million signing bonus, which is really a 3 year 60 million with a couple of garbage years on the back to lower the cap hit and the guys cap hit in year 1 is like 12 million

10 minutes ago, TheGame316 said:

You can have a lot of guarantees if you want, to ensure players get their money, but no more 5 year 100 Million, 50 million signing bonus, which is really a 3 year 60 million with a couple of garbage years on the back to lower the cap hit and the guys cap hit in year 1 is like 12 million

What would that make better? You want to take guaranteed money away from the only sport that doesn’t usually guarantee any contracts in full? 

1 hour ago, Tetsujin said:

It rewards better drafting teams more. They drafted Mahomes, Kelce, Jones and Hill. I got no problem with them trying retaining them. It does leave more room for FA's, which is why I'd limit the amount of original draftees that could be treated this way.

Maybe, but I would argue it rewards better teams more.  For example, why would McCaffrey stay with the Panthers if he could go to another team like the Chiefs and get paid the same/similar amount of money just because they are able to sign a guy like Mahomes to a market value deal without strongly affecting their cap?  I think you'd see a high increase of great players leaving bad/mediocre teams if there are more top teams around to spend money.

18 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I think you're just misreading the question in the title. He isn't asking, "Should the NFL move to a hard cap?" He's asking something more resembling, "The NFL has a hard cap, but should it stay that way?" The OP is asking if the NFL's cap should be softened.

Gotcha. The way he worded it made things kind of unclear.

Or maybe I was simply having a senior moment. :/

Either way, if the league is going to continue to pay quarterbacks extravagantly, then yeah, they need to tinker further with the cap rules. The veteran exemption in the new CBA is a great idea, and maybe they should build on something like that...

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

The minute there's not a hard cap in the NFL is the minute I'm finally free from the league and this site. 

Yikes. 

2 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

Change still happens. There was a time when free agency as we know it didn't exist. I believe the NFL was behind the NBA and MLB there.

Sort of. Free agency didn't really become a big thing in sports until the NFL embraced it, though. 

IMO it kind of sucks that teams are forced to lose great players they drafted because they can't afford to keep them. As a fan of a team that is good at drafting all stars it really sucks to lose them to the cap. Ultimately it's better for more fans when bad teams can get lucky on a couple drafts and sneak in a Superbowl run or two though.

4 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

You don’t have a problem with it, but it’s not going to be a popular idea amongst football fans. If it worsens parity, it makes the game less competitive. It’s why you see teams go from worst to first virtually every year, you see quick two or three year re-builds. 

I get that you really like the idea, but I don’t see anything enticing about it.

4 hours ago, TheGame316 said:

NFLPA would never approve it.  Not really sure owners would, either. This feels like a change that wouldn't actually benefit anyone. The teams like the flexibility that they're given between guaranteed and non-guaranteed money, to appease players/agents and also structure contracts flexibly. The players like up front, guaranteed money. That change would just make it really hard for teams to offer any remotely substantial signing bonus to players. No one wins with that.

5 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

But why reward them more? KC's reward for drafting well, is having good players. The balance for league parity is having to pay them. If you make it cheaper on the cap to retain them, you give extra rewards to teams that are already good. KC benefits from drafting Mahomes by having Mahomes. Now, they would also be getting like a $20M discount on top of that. The cap is there to bring parity, this, really, is going to do the opposite. All of a sudden KC takes a lower cat hit for Mahomes than the Titans do for Tannehill, or the 49ers for Garoppolo. KC might get to save $20M for having a better QB than the Rams, who only get to save $17M instead. I just don't see the logic in rewarding a team further for something that already rewards them in itself.

It would be like giving the team that wins the superbowl the 1st overall pick. It rewards teams for playing well, right? But playing well is it's own reward. It doesn't need additional rewards.

The goal of these systems is parity and balance, not making the rich richer.

• Like 1