Official NHL Thread

roysmyboy31

Just now, Forge said:

For sure. That's why I never get why fans are shocked by how long this is taking. There was nothing there. No real NHL talent, absolutely no prospect pool. It was starting from scratch. The problem in the NHL is that it takes years for prospects to cultivate, and you're not going to hit on them all. So you draft the guy and you really don't even know where you're at with just that single prospect and class for 3-4 years

Exactly. That's why the realists on HF are so happy with where we are and the Lou-ists (word?) are still caught up in shortsighted bull****. We literally started from scratch like an expansion team. I don't know why this is so hard for those old timey Devils fans to understand. We aren't the Senators but we sure the hell are/were on the level of the expansion Lightning. The fact that we took a shortcut, drafted #1 and had a man win the Hart, doesn't take away from the fact that we were completely starting from scratch. People on HF joke about our prospect pool back in 2014 but they don't realize that they are playing right into our hands.

• Like 1

Man Dave Hakstol first coach of Seattle. He’s shown he’s a development coach so it seems the Kraken is taking the long view of rebuilding the team. They are gonna be tanking for the next little while. 

hilarious anecdote is apparently him and Ron Francis bonded in a car ride through Slovakia and Czech Republic. 

First HC for the Kraken just announced, Anyone know anything about him besides what they say on the Athletic articles?

People on HF are flaming the hiring but Im taking it with a grain of salt, Someone said he was a proven loser at the collegiate level when hes had 298 victories at UND with 11 consecutive NCAA tournament appearances with 7 frozen 4 appearances.

1 hour ago, mattyice0401 said:

First HC for the Kraken just announced, Anyone know anything about him besides what they say on the Athletic articles?

People on HF are flaming the hiring but Im taking it with a grain of salt, Someone said he was a proven loser at the collegiate level when hes had 298 victories at UND with 11 consecutive NCAA tournament appearances with 7 frozen 4 appearances.

He's the guy who is going to teach your young guys how to play hockey in the NHL. For what he's shown so far, he's a good developmental coach and a good assistant coach. However, I'm not sure he's much of a lead guy.

This is Francis and management essentially saying we'll take the slow road to contendership. Which is perfectly fine. His in game adjustments and overall systems leave a bit to be desired, but hey maybe he's improved in that regard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattyice0401 said:

Not saying it's impossible for him to have changed since, but Flyers hockey had never been more boring with him as the HC.  Point shots, point shots, point shots and as soon as you have a lead, go into your shell.  It was just miserable watching that type of hockey.  Last 5-10 minutes of a game with a lead was just us getting completely pinned in our own end getting blistered with shots.  It was not a fun few years. 

This was our offense haha

PHI

PHI

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canadian Saint said:

He's the guy who is going to teach your young guys how to play hockey in the NHL. For what he's shown so far, he's a good developmental coach and a good assistant coach. However, I'm not sure he's much of a lead guy.

This is Francis and management essentially saying we'll take the slow road to contendership. Which is perfectly fine. His in game adjustments and overall systems leave a bit to be desired, but hey maybe he's improved in that regard.

I like that he can teach definitely want that in a head coach because If your a HC and you cant really teach your players what are you really? As a new franchise Id rather try and build up our prospect pool as much as possible so It sounds like that may be the approach they are taking which I like. VGK seem like the outlier here and would be extremely hard to replicate.

I did read about that he wasnt the best at making in game adjustments which worries me a bit but hopefully he can surround himself with a good coaching staff that may have a little more experience than he has in the league weather it be has a former HC or an assistant, Think of Sean McVay hiring Wade Phillips as his DC, Or like what the Kraken FO has done I think theres 1 or 2 former GMs helping Ron out could be wrong (may be thinking of the Wild in this scenario just pulling from memory)

1 hour ago, flyers0909 said:

Not saying it's impossible for him to have changed since, but Flyers hockey had never been more boring with him as the HC.  Point shots, point shots, point shots and as soon as you have a lead, go into your shell.  It was just miserable watching that type of hockey.  Last 5-10 minutes of a game with a lead was just us getting completely pinned in our own end getting blistered with shots.  It was not a fun few years. 

This was our offense haha

PHI

PHI

Can you help me understand this a little more please, So the red hot spots are where his offense took most of their shots during thaty season and the blue is where they took the least amount of shots or am mixing it up a bit?

1 hour ago, Canadian Saint said:

That's mostly trash and the 5th overall.

I still think the return is going to be underwhelming. The fact that Buffalo won't let teams talk to him allows other teams to lower their starting position right from jump

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

Can you help me understand this a little more please, So the red hot spots are where his offense took most of their shots during thaty season and the blue is where they took the least amount of shots or am mixing it up a bit?

Yeah it's essentially looking at where his offenses took shots from relative to the rest of the league.  Red is more, blue is less.  So mostly point shots (low danger) and very very little in front of the net (high danger).  This resulted in some pretty bad xGF results as a team. 

• Like 1